PE Civil CBT 2022

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnykc999

Reaction score
Will PE Civil CBT become more difficult as compared to paper pencil exam which was conducted for last time in October 2021? Any thoughts?

They do make slight changes. For example, there are only 70 scored questions and 10 "experimental" questions. We won't know which are which, though.

The split between morning and afternoon is blurred. If they put 8 experimental questions in the morning and 2 in the afternoon, there will be 43 questions in the first half and 37 in the second half (70 divided by 2 + however many experimental questions in that session)

So, there won't be a true morning and afternoon difference. Yes, the first half will have general civil and the second half will have discipline specific, but they give you the full time at the very beginning. So you can spend 6 hours on the first half and 2 hours on the second half. I wouldn't recommend that, though, but that's another problem lol.

Bumping this thread because I think it is now more important than ever before. The advent of CBT testing is upon us, civies!

Whether you're a repeat taker or going through it for the first time, we can use this thread to share ideas, strategies, war stories, but never exam questions!

They do make slight changes. For example, there are only 70 scored questions and 10 "experimental" questions. We won't know which are which, though.

The split between morning and afternoon is blurred. If they put 8 experimental questions in the morning and 2 in the afternoon, there will be 43 questions in the first half and 37 in the second half (70 divided by 2 + however many experimental questions in that session)

So, there won't be a true morning and afternoon difference. Yes, the first half will have general civil and the second half will have discipline specific, but they give you the full time at the very beginning. So you can spend 6 hours on the first half and 2 hours on the second half. I wouldn't recommend that, though, but that's another problem lol.
From where u got this info @10 experimental questions?

Bumping this thread because I think it is now more important than ever before. The advent of CBT testing is upon us, civies!

Whether you're a repeat taker or going through it for the first time, we can use this thread to share ideas, strategies, war stories, but never exam questions!
I think there will be a lot to memorize stuff as our references are not allowed and PE civil handbook barely has anything for PM portion for PE Civil Structural

From where u got this info @10 experimental questions?
I emailed NCEES. It's the same kind of approach as they do with the FE exam. I took that within the first few years of it going computer-based, in 2015.

So your final score will really be out of 70 points, but they won't tell you what you got right or wrong. They'll convert your score to a scaled score from 0-15 for each category.

I emailed NCEES. It's the same kind of approach as they do with the FE exam. I took that within the first few years of it going computer-based, in 2015.

So your final score will really be out of 70 points, but they won't tell you what you got right or wrong. They'll convert your score to a scaled score from 0-15 for each category.
So passing is 49 instead of 56 now?

Any prep course that will help with CBT exam? Or just stick and review the prep course materials that I have already taken such as sope and eet.

They tell you how many questions a person did correct - look at diagnostic report.
That's for the paper and pencil version. They DO NOT tell you how many questions you got right or wrong for the CBT version.

Any prep course that will help with CBT exam? Or just stick and review the prep course materials that I have already taken such as sope and eet.
No idea how the prep companies will adapt or modify their course now as there are no reference materials allowed to be taken.

I told you, they do not tell you how many questions you got right and wrong.

@DuranDuran PE Do you have a diagnostic from one of your failed attempts at the CBT? Am I right in how they report the results
Edit: Note that in both diagnostics, the total number of items scored totals 70 questions. The exam I took was 80 questions, so they threw 10 out, but we're not told which 10 are not counted.

Yep, I don't mind sharing. Here is my first CBT attempt on 12/1/2020:

1638541949166.png

Second attempt the following March:

1638541982078.png

Edit: Note that in both diagnostics, the total number of items scored totals 70 questions. The exam I took was 80 questions, so they threw 10 out, but we're not told which 10 are not counted.

Yep, I don't mind sharing. Here is my first CBT attempt on 12/1/2020:

View attachment 26229

Second attempt the following March:

View attachment 26230
Yep, they have 10 "experimental" questions included for research purposes, but we have no idea what those are.

Back