PE Civil CBT 2022

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So could someone explain and sorry if I missed this Q/A. If 10 q’s are thrown out does that mean those 10 are counted as being correct? So let’s say you get all 10 of those questions wrong but you get 50 other questions correct. Does that mean you got 60/80 correct?

So could someone explain and sorry if I missed this Q/A. If 10 q’s are thrown out does that mean those 10 are counted as being correct? So let’s say you get all 10 of those questions wrong but you get 50 other questions correct. Does that mean you got 60/80 correct?
Sorry looks like this was answered I didn’t go back far enough.

What the heck are you talking about?
I was referring to you earlier post?

“I managed to get six of the seven fields assigned correctly. But according to NCEES rep Ashley Cheney, "Each question has to be answered entirely correct to receive credit."

And didn’t you pass? If you did how do you know you missed 1. I thought that was a simple question but I didn’t select your post by accident.

Last edited:
I was referring to you earlier post?

“I managed to get six of the seven fields assigned correctly. But according to NCEES rep Ashley Cheney, "Each question has to be answered entirely correct to receive credit."

And didn’t you pass? If you did how do you know you missed 1. I thought that was a simple question but I didn’t select your post by accident.
You quoted my post. So if you'd actually read it, you'd know that I said "On the Practice exam, I got six out of seven parts correct."

PRACTICE exam.

It's common knowledge that regardless of whether you passed or failed, they do not tell you which questions you got right or wrong.

As explained earlier in this thread, you have no idea which questions are experimental. They are not counted. Example: if you count that you got 50/80 questions right during the exam, and you got all 10 experimental questions right, your score is 40/70.

Regardless, they don't tell you your score even if you fail. They give you a "scaled score" from 0 to 15 in each category.

You quoted my post. So if you'd actually read it, you'd know that I said "On the Practice exam, I got six out of seven parts correct."

PRACTICE exam.

It's common knowledge that regardless of whether you passed or failed, they do not tell you which questions you got right or wrong.
Oh soooo sorry for not reading that post correctly but perhaps you could lighten up just a bit.

10 throw away questions is a lot. The spec says some questions don't have the required references to solve them and don't count for that reason. But wait- they do count! They take valuable time from solving other questions that count. If you sit there for 8 hours trying to solve impossible questions that don't count, you'll get a 0 score. Not sure if it's fair but important to know in advance. I never had impossible questions on tests in college.

10 throw away questions is a lot. The spec says some questions don't have the required references to solve them and don't count for that reason. But wait- they do count! They take valuable time from solving other questions that count. If you sit there for 8 hours trying to solve impossible questions that don't count, you'll get a 0 score. Not sure if it's fair but important to know in advance. I never had impossible questions on tests in college.
The questions are not impossible. And there were no questions on my exam last month that were impossible.

They aren't "throw away" questions. They're pretest questions that allow NCEES to determine the feasibility of using that question on future exams.

The presence of those questions does not affect how long it takes you to complete the exam nor what your score is. In fact, the worst case for your score is if you get all of them correct, because that's 10 questions that you therefore wouldn't have included in your score. So getting them all wrong would HELP your score, not hurt it.

Edit: Note that in both diagnostics, the total number of items scored totals 70 questions. The exam I took was 80 questions, so they threw 10 out, but we're not told which 10 are not counted.

Yep, I don't mind sharing. Here is my first CBT attempt on 12/1/2020:

View attachment 26229

Second attempt the following March:

View attachment 26230
Thank you for this information. Very helpful.

Back