Pay Raise?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I told my boss that I had passed the PE and before I said anything my boss replied "now don't think you are going to get a salary raise or anything" and had a smirk on his face.

Well I can't change my jobs right now because of my visa constraints (and this is the reason my employer isn't worried about me going anywhere), but I hope that someday I can change my job.

In short no raise, not even a thought about it.
Similar situation regarding Visa constraints... However, do not let anyone bully you because of that !!!

I am interviewing with a similar company as my current but with much better pay and management responsibilities. Getting my PE is definitely proving to be useful in making my case for more $$$...

I have not gotten a raise either since passing the PE. In fact my company seems to be inconsistant in their value of engineers with PE licenses. Some segments of the company which operate in one state value it very much while other segments in another state don't value it at all. They have people who don't even have engineering degrees calling themselves engineers. Also another thing that is really humiliating for me is that I am still an entry-level engineer even though I have been with the company for six years, I have trained people who are classified as senior engineers and i just passed the PE exam in April. In fact I am the only engineer that has a PE license, my supervisor does not even has his PE license, and yet I am the lowest level engineer in the group. I believe that I could probably make a lot more money if I worked at a consulting company in more progressive areas such as Texas or Chicago.

DO NOT let the boys bully you regarding the PE and no raise. There is NO LOYALITY to the employee, irrespective of what the code of values says in the foyer of the main office.

It does no good to sit and bitch-- move out and make something happen. Now, if you have not kept your resume up to date and current, this weekend is a great time to put in the time to do so-- get a good resume, crisp and polished and then start to make something happen.

We worked with a client who stayed at his firm, a major public engineering firm for 9 years. First job out of college, got married, had a couple of babies, passed the PE exam and then his butt was on the road all the time. He got the "It is only for 4 month" routine. 12 months later, he called us and we got him an awesome job near home, no travel. Guess what-- his wife produced another baby!! Never seen a happier dude!

When he began his search, he was real rusty on the whole job search and interview process. We spent a lot of time helping him get up to speed, and when he did, good things happened.

Bottom line-- if your boss does not value your PE, then it is time to find someone who will. No reason to be ugly or negative about it, after all, this is a business decision. There are a plethora of factors that one has to consider when making a move, be it across the street or across the country. Don't do anything in haste-- develop a measured, calculated plan and approach. Once your approach is defined, execute.

There are lots of jobs that need PE's. If you have to talk to an idiot, the only guy that wins is the idiot-- someone is talking to he/she.

Now, moving 1200 miles away has some challenges as well, however, as I have said on this board previously, you can stand on your head for 24 months if you have to. Do NOT be bullied by anyone.

Sadly, today, peer recognition is often lacking. Not sure why, but you now have a great idea of how you are valued by the company and your superiors. Again, no reason for tears or hard feelings. Make a plan and attack. In some cases, you will get the, "Oh, we did not know that you felt that way-- what can we do to fix it?" The answer is "Nothing, I am Out of Here-- see ya!" Get your stuff all out of the office before this conversation, but prepared to hit the bricks about 20 minutes after the chat. Don't go without having a new home to go to-- it is always easier to find a job when you have a job.

This is 2015-- make something happen today! You will not regret it.

DO NOT let the boys bully you regarding the PE and no raise. There is NO LOYALITY to the employee, irrespective of what the code of values says in the foyer of the main office.

It does no good to sit and bitch-- move out and make something happen. Now, if you have not kept your resume up to date and current, this weekend is a great time to put in the time to do so-- get a good resume, crisp and polished and then start to make something happen.

We worked with a client who stayed at his firm, a major public engineering firm for 9 years. First job out of college, got married, had a couple of babies, passed the PE exam and then his butt was on the road all the time. He got the "It is only for 4 month" routine. 12 months later, he called us and we got him an awesome job near home, no travel. Guess what-- his wife produced another baby!! Never seen a happier dude!

When he began his search, he was real rusty on the whole job search and interview process. We spent a lot of time helping him get up to speed, and when he did, good things happened.

Bottom line-- if your boss does not value your PE, then it is time to find someone who will. No reason to be ugly or negative about it, after all, this is a business decision. There are a plethora of factors that one has to consider when making a move, be it across the street or across the country. Don't do anything in haste-- develop a measured, calculated plan and approach. Once your approach is defined, execute.

There are lots of jobs that need PE's. If you have to talk to an idiot, the only guy that wins is the idiot-- someone is talking to he/she.

Now, moving 1200 miles away has some challenges as well, however, as I have said on this board previously, you can stand on your head for 24 months if you have to. Do NOT be bullied by anyone.

Sadly, today, peer recognition is often lacking. Not sure why, but you now have a great idea of how you are valued by the company and your superiors. Again, no reason for tears or hard feelings. Make a plan and attack. In some cases, you will get the, "Oh, we did not know that you felt that way-- what can we do to fix it?" The answer is "Nothing, I am Out of Here-- see ya!" Get your stuff all out of the office before this conversation, but prepared to hit the bricks about 20 minutes after the chat. Don't go without having a new home to go to-- it is always easier to find a job when you have a job.

This is 2015-- make something happen today! You will not regret it.
That's some of the best advice I have ever heard. Recently a division manager asked me if I wanted to be a wwtp operator. Considering how they only make about half my current salary I replied with a sharp no. It was at that moment I realized why this man had never been promoted above his current position.
My resume needs polishing and I need to refine my interview skills. That's what I am going to be working on over the coming months. If anyone wants to critique my resume or offer pointers on how I can improve my interview skills send me a pm. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Others on here like Willsee & Ship Wreck &KnightFox have already changed jobs and are reaping the rewards.
Fixt.

I was under the false impression that I would get bumped up like my boss after passing the PE but I'm not part of the club.
And where in the world would you have gotten that impression if your responsibilities had not changed? :dunno:

Others on here like Willsee & Ship Wreck &KnightFox have already changed jobs and are reaping the rewards.
Fixt.

I was under the false impression that I would get bumped up like my boss after passing the PE but I'm not part of the club.
And where in the world would you have gotten that impression if your responsibilities had not changed? :dunno:
My boss and his click didn't take on increased responsibilities. The mistake I made was a wrong assumption, started sealing my own plans, and increased my role within the organization. I'm currently working on projects for two other divisions. No raise, no promotion, just more work. Hence why I'm looking for somewhere else to work.

Fixt.
I actually did not have to change jobs. I just showed them my guns!! And this. They agreed to get in lineWith our area.

http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes172071.htm

My employer refused to get me new business cards. They say the ones I have are good enough.

Fixt.

My boss and his click didn't take on increased responsibilities. The mistake I made was a wrong assumption, started sealing my own plans, and increased my role within the organization. I'm currently working on projects for two other divisions. No raise, no promotion, just more work. Hence why I'm looking for somewhere else to work.

I think the argument about your role changing is mostly applicable to public, state jobs, where bidding is not prevalent. In the private world, where jobs are won based on bids, the company is now charging a higher labor rate for your work since you are a PE. Since they are charging a higher labor rate for your work, you should reasonably expect to see a change in your salary to reflect this. Of course, the workplace is neither reasonable nor ideal so the company will try to screw you out of any raises to maximize their profit.

The issue of balking about new business cards is petty and trivial, however, if that is the mindset of the company, now is the time to find a new opportunity. There are a lot of PE opportunities available!! Again, no reason to get ugly or confrontational with your boss, you may he/she somewhere down the road.

OK, the business cards are good enough, even though they fail to identify you as a licensed professional. What this really says is that the firm does not value you with your license, however, they are happy to bill you out for more fee because you are now "more valuable!"

Get the resume dusted off and begin the interview process. There are lots of jobs that are seeking PE's. Make sure that you know your worth and value BEFORE you get started-- everything is negotiable-- yes, salary, hours, cell phones, moving expenses, vacation, career development, etc.

It is harder to move if you have been planted someplace for several years, however, it is not impossible. If you can sell your house and at least come out even, then the moving program is attractive. Depending on the job and location, some companies will help you sell your house-- i.e, if you have to sell it and take a $20K loss due to market conditions, the new company will make that $20K up in your package. Of course, you will want to talk to your CPA to see what the tax implications are for your particular situation, however, my point is that everything is negotiable.

Get started-- it is fun out here in the jungle-- hot and humid, hot and arid, wet and rainy, but fun.

Fixt.

I think the argument about your role changing is mostly applicable to public, state jobs, where bidding is not prevalent. In the private world, where jobs are won based on bids, the company is now charging a higher labor rate for your work since you are a PE. Since they are charging a higher labor rate for your work, you should reasonably expect to see a change in your salary to reflect this. Of course, the workplace is neither reasonable nor ideal so the company will try to screw you out of any raises to maximize their profit.

Some do, some don't.

The issue of balking about new business cards is petty and trivial, however, if that is the mindset of the company, now is the time to find a new opportunity. There are a lot of PE opportunities available!! Again, no reason to get ugly or confrontational with your boss, you may he/she somewhere down the road.

OK, the business cards are good enough, even though they fail to identify you as a licensed professional. What this really says is that the firm does not value you with your license, however, they are happy to bill you out for more fee because you are now "more valuable!"

Get the resume dusted off and begin the interview process. There are lots of jobs that are seeking PE's. Make sure that you know your worth and value BEFORE you get started-- everything is negotiable-- yes, salary, hours, cell phones, moving expenses, vacation, career development, etc.

It is harder to move if you have been planted someplace for several years, however, it is not impossible. If you can sell your house and at least come out even, then the moving program is attractive. Depending on the job and location, some companies will help you sell your house-- i.e, if you have to sell it and take a $20K loss due to market conditions, the new company will make that $20K up in your package. Of course, you will want to talk to your CPA to see what the tax implications are for your particular situation, however, my point is that everything is negotiable.

Get started-- it is fun out here in the jungle-- hot and humid, hot and arid, wet and rainy, but fun.

Although I believe that this statement over simplifies almost every aspect that it addresses, I do not disagree with it.

My company gives a $2000 bonus and a $400/month raise for passing the PE. I started with my company a little more than 3.5 years ago right out of college and with this raise my pay has increased 51% in the past 20 months after no raises the first 2 years. That did include relocating to Houston which has a better market.

[SIZE=10.5pt]My theory regarding corporation is pretty simple! Nobody is looking out for you other than yourself. The company I work for is a large engineering company on the eastern seaboard and from what I have seen is that they have a huge turnover rate after employees get the PE license. As in, tons of people leave after they get their PE. I had a talk with my boss as soon as I got back from the holidays break. I laid out what I was looking for and what I could get outside if I were to leave. It was a very professional conversation yet I did make him aware that if I [/SIZE]wasn't[SIZE=10.5pt] paid like my peers with the license; he will lose me. Now, if you are not in a position to lay it out that clearly than have the conversation before you start looking and I strongly suggest, start looking because if I am not paid like my peers; I would have tough time with it. It will not affect my work but it will always be on the back of my mind. Trust me, I have been there; done that![/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
My supervisor told me I really wasn't a PE and that I'm being paid fairly. I pulled up my state board and showed him my license number on my phone and told him, "you might not think I'm a PE but the state clearly says I am." He gave me a deer in the headlight look (pretty common for him) and didn't know what to say. My department just hired a new guy that doesn't even have his EI yet and he's making $5k/yr than me. Yep, definitely time to dust off my resume and start looking. It seems to pay to change jobs every 3 - 5 years.

Back