Passed the exam in NJ- License Application Questions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adiroop

Reaction score
Hi,

I just found out I passed the exam in NJ which does not require any documentation prior to taking the exam other than a valid FE. I have the following questions.

1. My immediate supervisor does not have a PE but his supervisor does. Can I include him as a reference instead?
2. I have a PhD and my PhD supervisor has a PE. Can I ask him? Would PhD work be considered engineering work
3. Can I reach out to clients who have a PE as my references?
4. I have worked with other sub-consultants who have PE. Can I ask them for references as well

Any help is appreciated. Thank you

Regards,

Good morning, not all of your references has to be a PE. However, your qualifying experience is supposed to be engineeriing work that was done under the direct supervision of a NJ PE. Make sure the PE you ask is familiar with your work.

In termsof the PhD work, you will have to check the most recent application guidelines. If I'm not mistaken, that degree should count towards some of your experience requirements assuming it was related to engineering work. For example, if someone was to get a PhD in Literature, that wouldn't count towards your experience.

If any of your work experience is questionable,

Good morning, not all of your references has to be a PE. However, your qualifying experience is supposed to be engineeriing work that was done under the direct supervision of a NJ PE. Make sure the PE you ask is familiar with your work.

In termsof the PhD work, you will have to check the most recent application guidelines. If I'm not mistaken, that degree should count towards some of your experience requirements assuming it was related to engineering work. For example, if someone was to get a PhD in Literature, that wouldn't count towards your experience.

If any of your work experience is questionable,
Thanks for your response. All of my work experience is fine. 5+ years beyond a PhD. Also, was wondering if the references are open to me or if they are confidential references. The reason being that office politics might play a role in the references and I would be careful who I ask for references if they are confidential. Can you please confirm that.

References are supposed to be confidential and sent directly to the board by the person writing your reference. If the reference may be questionable, try to avoid using them unless you need them to validate your required engineering experience.

Back