Passed, Pay Raise?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The www.engineersalary.com website was very nice. I was -5.2% off what they listed. They did not have my exact "primary skill" though. I picked something close. It was a great tool to look at what to expect for the promotion I am hoping for.

To answer the original question, my company gave a standard $2 raise, reimbursement on fees, and the day was paid off. They also send out a nice congratulations letter company wide, and you become eligable for promotion. Overall I'm very happy.
$2, huh.

;)

The www.engineersalary.com website was very nice. I was -5.2% off what they listed. They did not have my exact "primary skill" though. I picked something close. It was a great tool to look at what to expect for the promotion I am hoping for.

To answer the original question, my company gave a standard $2 raise, reimbursement on fees, and the day was paid off. They also send out a nice congratulations letter company wide, and you become eligable for promotion. Overall I'm very happy.
$2, huh.

;)
I never paid attention to all those professors who told me how important units are.

I should of specified it was $2 an hour. I would of been upset if it was "Here's $2, go buy a comic book" (Can $2 even buy a comic book anymore?)

just started a new job the week results were released. Was told before being hired that after my probationary period (90 days) I would be re-evaluted, including if I passed my PE, at that point. So hopefully ill get a nice raise/bonus in a few months.

Already got a nice "raise" with the new job, going back into consulting firm from a state job.

I work in consulting / construction and have been at my company for 3 years. I found out I passed 3 weeks ago and still haven't had a conversation with my boss about a raise / reward. At the same time annual reviews are coming around the corner soon so I don't plan on bringing it up until when that happens. Having my PE in my field is pretty important and does involve more responsibility so it will be interesting how it plays out.

I got a $2,000 incentive bonus. Also just applied for a position that would be one level up from where I am now, it would be about another $5,000/yr.

Since I have obtained my PE, I have personally begun looking for positions that require your PE. I want to use my license and want a company that needs PEs to use their license. Because these companies need PEs, the PE candidate is more valuable than a non-PE candidate. Consequently, my salary demands have increased for PE specific positions.

Final Results $500 bonus and getting a trial shot at a promotion. Pretty happy with results.

Some interesting information from my PE magazine regarding salary for various education and certification levels:

z0z4.png

Heres my story, I got my Professional Engineer back in April 2013, then I got a $2 per hour raise on June 2013 from $25 to $27 per hour, few months later Sept, I got laid off from work because the owner told me they didn't want 3 engineers and would go down to 2 engineers because the company has been struggling financially for over a year. That was the time they hired me as an EIT, in less than a week I got hired by another company and currently making more than $80k annual. I can say that it was a blessing in disguise that I got laid off from my former employer and moved on to a better company and a senior position and got over twice as much as I was making, it was worth a ride.

Verbal (and historical) agreement is a 10% raise upon receiving a PE. I shall find out if this is true come December/January when results trickle in.

3% raise. Not bad considering I didn't ask for a raise and I don't really need a license for my job. It's a higher number I can use to negotiate with other companies now :) .

It took a little over a year, but I landed a 30% pay increase last month! I switched to a job that paid the same as my previous rate and stayed there for almost a year. I just switched again, but this time with a nice little raise.

That's awesome J123 - congratulations! Glad to hear your new company is paying you what you're worth. That gives all of us PEs-in-waiting something to look forward to!

Here's my take: If your current job responsibilities do not change once you get your PE, then your boss's reasoning for giving you a meager raise will be that you are basically more expensive for the same level of production. Or budgets are harder to stay within if you are now billing out at a higher rate. Fair enough. It is every new PE's responsibility to get paid their market value though. If you feel as though you aren't getting paid what you could elsewhere the chances are you are right and you should probably look for a new job that can afford to pay you what you deserve. You'd be surprised how easy it is to motivate your current boss into giving you a good raise when you interview elsewhere and receive an offer that trumps your current salary. You should not feel bad about this either. If your company suddenly can't afford to keep you around they aren't going to do you any personal favors. Complacent and timid engineers who allow themselves to be underpaid are hurting themselves and also the industry as a whole.

Back