Outdoor water resistant screw connections ~2000W

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borren

Reaction score
I have an induction cooker that I like to take outside on nice days (like today!) and run a long extension cable to power it. However, I worry that the plug connection may get some water in it, and would like to know if the screw fittings used for indoor fish tanks are available for 13A mains devices i.e. up to 2000W ?

I found the solution that I was looking for in the LCH IP68 Connector from HANS, which has an IP rating of 6 and 8 respectively.

CVz5Kj5.png[

Now I am able to disconnect this from the normal length chord used indoors, and attach it to an extended cable for use outdoor, for use on wet grass.

nb. be sure to isolate (i.e. unplug) from the main wall outlet when unscrewing plugs as the three cables are effectively exposed, and be sure that the exterior is dry from any beaded moisture (water) when performing the swap !

jzlIaln.png

Now I can run the cable into the garden to cook with the normal indoor cooker ! It's too bad that the connector's do not come in white, but they still function the same.

nb. when pulling kilowatts through the cable it is best to leave it unfurled so that it doesn't get too hot in use.

Unfortunately, the principle of sockets operation and switches is different. Hence, the danger is different, and the methods of elimination vary. You need to know that both the phase and zero wires come to the outlet. A short circuit is caused due to the water between its contacts. That’s why I fixed my extension cord to the house wall using plasterboard screws. Btw, you should not rush to wipe water in no case as soon as the water gets on the outlet. Then you should step away from the outlet and secure the area around it from people and animals. You must de-energize the room or the line feeding this outlet after that.

Last edited:
Back