Oregon PE application Reference Questions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wannabe_PE

Reaction score
Hello Members,

I was about to start my Oregon PE application and saw that it requires 5 references out of which 3 should be PEs. I work in a small company with three other PEs, but I am not sure what I should be doing for the two more references. Does other office staff like HR etc be references or should can of the EITs who is in the company before a reference.

Please let me know what you think or have done before.

Hello Members,

I was about to start my Oregon PE application and saw that it requires 5 references out of which 3 should be PEs. I work in a small company with three other PEs, but I am not sure what I should be doing for the two more references. Does other office staff like HR etc be references or should can of the EITs who is in the company before a reference.

Please let me know what you think or have done before.
Hi! Washington has similar requirements. I just used people who knew me and worked with me in a professional capacity. If you have a PM, supervisor, or similar that can vouch for you, that should be sufficient.

Hi! Washington has similar requirements. I just used people who knew me and worked with me in a professional capacity. If you have a PM, supervisor, or similar that can vouch for you, that should be sufficient.
I have Company president who is a PE, and other two bosses who are a PE and an SE. All three have been supervising my work since I started. I just don't know what to do with other two references.

I have Company president who is a PE, and other two bosses who are a PE and an SE. All three have been supervising my work since I started. I just don't know what to do with other two references.
So wait...are you the only other engineer at your company then?

It doesn't necessarily need to be a supervisory type, but it probably should be someone who can speak to your engineering work, and I think it looks better to have someone with experience. So if you had other non-licensed engineers you work with (preferably ones who have been at your company longer than you), that should work.

Alternatively, do you have anyone else at a previous employer you might be able to reach out to?

If you're really out of options, then other EITs that can speak to your work ethic should be OK. The board will ultimately let you know if there's a problem with your references.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one PE who moved to another company that I can ask to provide a reference. So that makes it 4 and then I will ask my EIT colleague to do it.  Hopefully it works out.

Back