Order of the Engineer

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes, it's tradition at my college so we did it just before graduation.

i've only run into one person in industry who wears his ring and he's Canadian 

Do you know what the process is? Would one need to contact someone before the ring ceremony? Asking for a friend (literally lol).

Edit: @LyceeFruit PE I guess I should've tagged/quoted you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know what the process is? Would one need to contact someone before the ring ceremony? Asking for a friend (literally lol).

Edit: @LyceeFruit PE I guess I should've tagged/quoted you.
I have no idea. My engineering department set it all up and told the seniors where to be lol 

This is a tradition at the college I attended as well.  Anyone senior who was about to graduate who wanted to go through the ceremony and receive a ring could sign up.  It was about an hour long.  Basically a few faculty spoke, then one of them talked about the history of the ceremony/ring, and finally the school President presented the rings to each senior as they walked across the stage.  You walked up onto the stage with your ring in hand, gave it to the presenter, and then put your arm through a giant ring so that it could be placed on your finger.  A little odd, but still cool.

I believe all engineering schools in Canada do this, and only a handful of US colleges do it, mine being one of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I not only attended the ceremony at my university to get my ring, I've helped hold the ceremony for another local college as they didn't have enough folks to hold it.

Everyone had to sign up in advance and order their rings. The rings were issued during the ceremony through the ceremonial ring.

I did it after I got my PE. In Maryland they include the 5-10 ceremony as part of the larger Maryland Engineer Awards ceremony for new PEs.  The information for registering/joining was included with the rest of the package that was sent out for ceremony. IIRC correctly, it had to be done ahead of time.

I only wear the ring during formal occasions.

My university did it. It was optional, but many senior class engineers participated. I don't even know where my ring is now, but I'm pretty sure I lost it in Hurricane Katrina. (I hadn't worn it in years.) To be honest, I don't remember much about the organization or the pledge/obligation (whatever it was).

My University did it. Seniors were allowed to sign up just before graduation. I don't wear my ring because I've lost weight since college and it falls off. 

I must admit. I never liked the fact that the symbol for the Order is a pinky ring. Jewelry can be many things (functional, fashionable, practical, social, etc), and wearing a pinky ring... I don't think it makes the best public statement.

@jean15paul_PE I think the reason that the ring of the Order of the Engineer is worn on the little finger of the working hand is to be consistent with the (Canadian) Kipling ceremony, where the (iron) ring was intended to drag on the writing surface while the engineer is drawing or writing to act as as reminder of one's obligation.  The iron ring was intended to be small and understated, and was designed as a constant reminder, rather than a piece of jewelry... the symbolism was considered more important than making a public statement...

Back