Order of the Engineer

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

envirotex

Reaction score
Did anyone else go through the Order of the Engineer ceremony when they graduated from college? If so, do you wear your ring?

It's supposed to go on the little finger of your working hand so that when you are working it drags across the page and reminds you of your obligation as an engineer.

I wore mine for a few years, then I stopped...

I went through the ceremony and got the certificate. The pinky ring (right-hand) never comes off. It's a nice reminder of the accomplishments associated with becoming an engineer.

When I worked in Flint, some of the young engineers (Michigan Tech grads) would wear the rings.

When I went back to college (Florida State) nobody ever said anything about the Order.

Thanks for posting the link...I didn't see it before.

Quote from benbo...

Allow me to explain Gandalf_PE

The issue is not whether you are concerned about ethics. The issue is that :

1. You seem to think this "ring" of power has some relevance to ethics.

2. You seem to think that goofing around on a message board somehow constitutes a breach of ethics.

Both of these beliefs are excessively melodramatic, and that's how you come across. But if your power is in that ring, I suggest you extract it from the secret place you have it hidden, because it seems to be causing you some undue irritation.

:spit:

I wear a silver ring on my pinky and I am aware of the club, but am not a member. My ring was actually a "gift" from my sister who stole it back when my family and I went to Cabo San Lucas about 15 years ago...

I became a member when I graduated from Michigan Tech. Didn't wear it for a few years, but started to wear it again after getting my PE. Very few people in my area are aware of the order, let alone are members. I also know that I had to get a slightly larger ring as the original didn't fit my hand properly anymore...

I wear the ring and went through a ceremony the day of graduation, but I didn't realize it was an "order" of anything until I read this thread. They lined us all up and went to a lecture hall where we repeated the "oath" to be ethical and stuff. I have worn the ring for 5 years for the bling factor, not because of the order. A silver pinky ring is as wild and crazy as my wardrobe gets. I have had several friends ask why the heck I wear "that gay little ring" though.

I wear the ring and went through a ceremony the day of graduation, but I didn't realize it was an "order" of anything until I read this thread. They lined us all up and went to a lecture hall where we repeated the "oath" to be ethical and stuff. I have worn the ring for 5 years for the bling factor, not because of the order. A silver pinky ring is as wild and crazy as my wardrobe gets. I have had several friends ask why the heck I wear "that gay little ring" though.

FSU graduation was so big ... I think I saw one person the whole day that I knew from the College of Engineering.

first meeting I went to they had this guy making out with a goat, so I never went back....

I went through the induction, wore the ring for a very short while afterwards. I sort of forgot about it until I read this thread actually... and now that I think of it, I can't remember ever seeing another engineer wearing the ring

Back