NYC secret subway stop

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grew up outside of NYC and was always fascinated by the subway as a kid. I knew of this stop but it had been closed to the public, especially since 9/11 as its right under city hall.

I'm probably going to make my patented beer at McSorely's, lunch in Chinatown, dessert in Little Italy run in the next few months and will work that into the trip.

More pics of that station here:

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/stations?5:979

What I wouldn't give to be able to take pictures in there. That place is gorgeous!

I'm probably going to make my patented beer at McSorely's, lunch in Chinatown, dessert in Little Italy run in the next few months and will work that into the trip.
FYI and completely random, I found a sixer of McSorleys Black Irish lager in the groceery store down here and decided to give it a try. Not bad. I'd never heard of it before, but it does seem to be quite the legendary place.

If you ever find yourself on 7th St between 2nd and 3rd, give it a whirl. The only question is whether you want light or dark.

Also, try the cheese and crackers. They come with slices of really sharp raw onion, and there is a mug of mustard on your table that has been there forever that you spread on your cracker with a tongue depressor. That stuff could strip the varnish off a foot locker.

My folks worked neaby for a number of years and it was their favorite. At that point (early 70s) they had just started letting women in. My father had his you're about to be a dad party there, and has a ceramic mug with a little stuffed chick in it on his shelf to this day. He started taking me there when I was 18 or 19. That's one of the few things I will hang onto after he shuffles off the old mortal coil.

We've got a subway in Cincinnati that most people don't even know about. They built it in the old canal through downtown but never finished the rest of the loop that was supposed to be above ground. There's a 48-inch high pressure water distribution line running through there now that they have to shut down if there are people around so they do tours but only once in a great while. My wife and I were able to go a few years ago...got some pictures but they didn't come out all that great.

thats pretty cool, I think they could make money offering tours of all these..

anyone watch the show on history chanel about all the underground, secret tunnels and such in Europe and london? That show always sucks me in, especially when they have walls and walls of skulls!

thats pretty cool, I think they could make money offering tours of all these..
anyone watch the show on history chanel about all the underground, secret tunnels and such in Europe and london? That show always sucks me in, especially when they have walls and walls of skulls!
Yea, I love watching those shows. I just wish I could get Mrs. Ble interested in them.

I suckered my wife into seeing the city hall station. I think we are going to go to NY in February for Chinese New Year in Chinatown, which is always a fun time. Nothing like walking down the streets while people throw fireworks out of 2nd and 3rd story balconies - they've actually gotten rid of that, but it was interesting as a kid.

I too like abandoned buildings. Once when I was when I was visiting my grandfather outside Reno I took his four wheeler out into the desert and found an old abandoned industrial building (I think it was an old smelter, lots of mines in his area). I explored it for a while, until I found an area that had a bunch of old mattresses, condom wrappers and beer cans scattered around. Apparently I had stumbled across the local teenagers bang'n spot. I guess its good that old buildings still get some good use.

Back