Nutrition, Diet, and Exercise: Notes, Goals, and Resources (these people just keep talking about crossfit)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our gym started an oly skills class last night that will run through January. We'll focus on C&J and snatch (heh). Last night we hit our 1RM for C&J and then did some OH squats to give her a feel of where we're all at right now. I think it's going to be really great since all of those lifts for me involve way too much thinking and not enough muscle memory, so I'm pumped to see how my technique betters.

Last night my elite fitness gym threw a Halloween party and they made an escape room that included working out. They handcuffed us to our partners for synchro burpees to start and I don't think I've ever done burpees as smoothly as when I'm nervous I'm going to rip someone's hand off. It was super fun- we had a bunch of challenges and the last one was getting a code to undo a lock. I realized that was what we were doing and ran over to the lock before we had the final number and managed to get it unlocked with the third combo. I am definitely the kid who's like, "Puzzles?! I'll do that part!"

You know how they say "abs are made in the kitchen"? That is so true! I have ab definition and I don't do any core exercise or ab strengthening movements...like at all. I do a ton of cardio though...and I try to keep a calorific deficit.
I've lost 35 lbs since late January of this year.

5 more to go.

You know how they say "abs are made in the kitchen"? That is so true! I have ab definition and I don't do any core exercise or ab strengthening movements...like at all. I do a ton of cardio though...and I try to keep a calorific deficit.
I've lost 35 lbs since late January of this year.

5 more to go.
Fasho. Murricans need to eat more veggies!

I have not been working out this whole time. I've mostly just been doing my PT exercises and being more 'aware' of what I'm eating with CICO.

Down to 180 (lost 10lbs) since I started being serious. PT is hopefully finishing up this week or next week. Then I'm going to try and use the peloton app for the body weight strength classes and yoga. I've got to figure out a schedule to keep myself going versus changing at home and then sitting on the couch all day.

I have not been working out this whole time. I've mostly just been doing my PT exercises and being more 'aware' of what I'm eating with CICO.

Down to 180 (lost 10lbs) since I started being serious. PT is hopefully finishing up this week or next week. Then I'm going to try and use the peloton app for the body weight strength classes and yoga. I've got to figure out a schedule to keep myself going versus changing at home and then sitting on the couch all day.
Any chance you can do it first thing in the morning? I used to be an evening workout person but I can't do it now. When I come home, I immediately take a hot shower and I put on a warm onesie or flannel PJs. I must get cozy as soon as possible in the evenings. lol So when life throws me a curveball, I might tell myself lie to myself and say "I'm gonna work out as soon as I get home" and it never works because of my aforementioned routine calling out to me.

So, instead, I wake up when it's dark, stumble around, get on my workout gear, and get on the treadmill, spin bike, or head outside before my brain wakes up. lol

I wake up when it's dark, stumble around, get on my workout gear, and get on the treadmill, spin bike
We called this "running the filters" when my buddies and I had a long day of cycling planned but after an evening of heavy drinking. I no longer drink but I still use the expression.

Any chance you can do it first thing in the morning? I used to be an evening workout person but I can't do it now. When I come home, I immediately take a hot shower and I put on a warm onesie or flannel PJs. I must get cozy as soon as possible in the evenings. lol So when life throws me a curveball, I might tell myself lie to myself and say "I'm gonna work out as soon as I get home" and it never works because of my aforementioned routine calling out to me.

So, instead, I wake up when it's dark, stumble around, get on my workout gear, and get on the treadmill, spin bike, or head outside before my brain wakes up. lol
Tbh, I might attempt to do this. I already 'wake up' at 5am ish to feed Odin, since he'll just aggressively purr louder and louder and snuggle closer and closer to my head until I give him his hard food, and then 'wake up' again at around 6am to actually get ready for work. I think it's just me not wanting to have to shower in the mornings, since I hate blow-drying my hair. I did love going to crossfit when there was the 5:15am class.

Starting next week I have to be in the office at 6:30am, instead of 7:00am, so I'll try just waking up at 5am and staying up. I won't add exercises, but maybe I'll try to do more of my 'afternoon' activities in the morning, like meal prepping/loading the dishwasher/etc. I have recently switched to only doing grocery shopping on Sunday, after I volunteer, which has freed up some time during the week, tbh. I'm just super bad at organizing my schedule during the week and I find that meal prep for dinner takes way longer than usual (and when I have PT, it kinda ruins the rest of the night).

Tbh, I might attempt to do this. I already 'wake up' at 5am ish to feed Odin, since he'll just aggressively purr louder and louder and snuggle closer and closer to my head until I give him his hard food, and then 'wake up' again at around 6am to actually get ready for work. I think it's just me not wanting to have to shower in the mornings, since I hate blow-drying my hair. I did love going to crossfit when there was the 5:15am class.

Starting next week I have to be in the office at 6:30am, instead of 7:00am, so I'll try just waking up at 5am and staying up. I won't add exercises, but maybe I'll try to do more of my 'afternoon' activities in the morning, like meal prepping/loading the dishwasher/etc. I have recently switched to only doing grocery shopping on Sunday, after I volunteer, which has freed up some time during the week, tbh. I'm just super bad at organizing my schedule during the week and I find that meal prep for dinner takes way longer than usual (and when I have PT, it kinda ruins the rest of the night).
A couple of tips:

1. When your alarm goes off at 5 (or when Odin aggressively purrs and aggressively cuddles - which is adorable and hilarious), don't negotiate with yourself. I used to do this in the beginning. "Just 5 more minutes...", "Ok, how much time do I actually need. I can probably change in like 5 minutes...so I just bought back 10 minutes of get dressed time"... NONE of this works. lol

2. Set alarms for all of your other stuff. I have alarms in my phone to stop my workout to go shower for work, leave work, make dinner, serve dinner, do laundry, etc. I don't always use them but when my time management is off, they come in handy. It will drive you nuts after a few days, but you'll also get better at moving through your day until it becomes more of a routine.

A couple of tips:

1. When your alarm goes off at 5 (or when Odin aggressively purrs and aggressively cuddles - which is adorable and hilarious), don't negotiate with yourself. I used to do this in the beginning. "Just 5 more minutes...", "Ok, how much time do I actually need. I can probably change in like 5 minutes...so I just bought back 10 minutes of get dressed time"... NONE of this works. lol

2. Set alarms for all of your other stuff. I have alarms in my phone to stop my workout to go shower for work, leave work, make dinner, serve dinner, do laundry, etc. I don't always use them but when my time management is off, they come in handy. It will drive you nuts after a few days, but you'll also get better at moving through your day until it becomes more of a routine.
Odin understands daylight savings time. He started nudging me this morning around 4:55am for my 5:05am alarm. I didn't snooze, but I did check my phone a little bit. I don't think I can do a full workout (especially since I'm going into the office for 6:30am start), but I was able to get a shower in this morning. Which means I can probably squeeze in a 20-minute yoga or stretch class in the morning. I am going to keep my alarm at 5:05am right now, just to get used to it again. I def need to turn back on my 'go to bed' alarm. I did have one for a while, but turned it off when I was going to the gym on a normal schedule, but if I'm trying to do my workout at home I've got to get that alarm again.

I think I mostly suck at time stuff is because I make dinner, and then don't do anything while dinner is being cooked (since I try to clean while I cook). I have to start planning out my dinner meals a little bit better. It's just hard because it's just me planning, so if I'm making a pizza, will this pizza last me four meals or will it last me...one meal, because I turned into a monster. I also sometimes get the 'blahs' where I'm like...I need to take a shower, but I need to like force myself to do so. My morning routine isn't too bad, per se, I have started making my lunches the evening before which is helping.

I have couple things to add for dieting and exercising:

1. Kind of diet always should be. Not necessarily related to the body weight, but also to the brain activity and unique organism features. It is metabolism. And in a perfect scenario every one may have a general diet (what I eat most), but it shouldn't be a prison, from time to time exclusions can happen.
Taking food should be balanced throughout the day and regularly scheduled.

2. Exercising should be regular. With some goals short or long or just for everyday shaping. The best to start with are simplest. Doing morning exercising, jogging, giving your body the good habits of doing this. There are youtube channels, where you can find a set of training programs and advice from professionals with medical background. ‘Making perfect shape in X weeks’ requires from you a gymnastic stick, expander and simple push-ups and jumping. Talking about crossfit from the start in this case - this is an intensive level and might bring damage to tissues, causing chronic traumas.

3. Again watch your metabolism changes. For me it means eating more and losing extra weight.

Back