Nutrition, Diet, and Exercise: Notes, Goals, and Resources (these people just keep talking about crossfit)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was a mighty 147.5 lbs. Two rounds before that I let go of my core and panicked hard about going heavier, but then got a spot and did it. Next week is the third week of progressive overload and I'm nervous.
THATS AMAZING. IM SO PROUD OF YOU!!!! And you’re lifting way heavier than me! Brava brava!!!

Okay! Back to the gym! Warmup was horrible medicine ball slams (overhead, then kneeling/lunge rainbow slams) for 3 rounds each. Baby weight RDLs with barbell! We did our first 3x5 with a 3sec tempo down. Only went to 117lb for that. Did another 4x5 without the tempo, so just a normal RDL. Went up to 171lb without changing my grip. The accessory round was horrible. 4 rounds of :30/:30 of each: suitcase carry lunges (each side was a round), followed by OH single-arm press, then scissor kicks. So. Accessory was 20 minutes and we all wanted to die. Since it was so long, conditioning was just a single round of :40/:20 for each: sled push, toes to bar, and slam ball (20lb).

Went home. Had Costco street tacos (I bought a kit and it's going to feed me for like 4 days). Took a shower. Slapped a few of those little heaty sticky pads on my glute. Don't feel better today, but also don't feel worse, so I'll take the win!

Lol, did gym on Tuesday, it was a lot of arm stuff. I think we did bench press 5x8, which is a lot of reps, and I only did 10kg (77lb total). Did all sets, but failed after getting 7 complete on the last round. Prob could have done one more, but I was with a partner and she wanted to get on the bench, so I didn't complain.

Didn't go to the gym on Wednesday due to crazy thunderstorms and wanting to get the apartment ready for my aunt and uncle visiting (like vacuuming and sewing my jean patch on, and other random stuff). This means I missed a leg/squat day, I think they were doing front squat, but this might be better for my butt muscle to keep healing while I'm actively working out/doing minor workouts for legs. Plan for today is to go to the gym after work (strict press + push press is today's workout), go to Costco to grab pizza for visiting relatives, go home, finish up making the apartment look slightly less gross (I have a cat with white hair on black hardwood flooring, it looks so gross/shows off every single hair), and then wait for them to roll up.

Jeebus, @JayKay PE is killin' it. Meanwhile, I *looked* in the general direction of the bike trainer. So that's progress.
I am not killing anything. I am super struggling. I keep seeing gyms that are cheaper than my current gym...but I think they do much larger classes/their classes won't work with my schedule? My co-worker is starting at a crossfit gym (that isn't a 'Crossfit' gym, due to them dropping the name after all the controversy, but are still doing the normal WOD). It's cheaper, but, idk. I can't really run due to my knees and jumping rope kills me if it's not timed. So. On one hand I want to try and find a cheaper gym, since I'm paying $170/mo and I know I can find something cheaper in Indy, on the other, the gym I go to has pretty much everything I want schedule-wise (right after work), class size-wise (never been in a class over 8 people), class-length wise (a solid hour), and trainer-wise (same trainers, who don't mind modifications).

Got to get back into the habit. I hate working out during the summer. Too hot.

Wait- the crossfit gym is CHEAPER?

My gym is $110 a month. I look at it as our classes are usually around 6-8 people, so I get a lot of attention. Plus if I go five times a week (I usually also go to an open gym, but let's just look at the 5 weekday classes), that means I'm paying around $5.50 per class. That then is easy to me to look at in terms of I'll blow five bucks on dumb stuff in a heartbeat. So if you like your current gym, stay at your current gym. Don't switch because you think that $50/month (or whatever) will make things better.

Wait- the crossfit gym is CHEAPER?

My gym is $110 a month. I look at it as our classes are usually around 6-8 people, so I get a lot of attention. Plus if I go five times a week (I usually also go to an open gym, but let's just look at the 5 weekday classes), that means I'm paying around $5.50 per class. That then is easy to me to look at in terms of I'll blow five bucks on dumb stuff in a heartbeat. So if you like your current gym, stay at your current gym. Don't switch because you think that $50/month (or whatever) will make things better.
Yeah, I think so? Oly lifting class = $170/mo unlimited, but classes are only held at 5:30pm during the week. I think the crossfit gym is $114/mo for unlimited classes and yoga and it has more availability? But the classes are I think a max of 16 people, and it looks like they have a minimum of 8 people per class, based on their online enrolling system that I checked. I'm going to keep bugging my co-worker to see how many people actually show up to the class and see how much help he got during things.

Currently, if I go 3x per week, it comes out to sub-$15/class. I need to get back into a more robust schedule, like 4x a week, and then that'll drop things to around $10 a class, which is more palatable? Idk. I just...feel like it isn't worth $170? But I wouldn't mind paying $150 for the same gym? Which is why I'm kinda looking around...

EDIT - Lol, he just said one of the classes had 15-20 people in it and that it seemed to be the norm. Going to hide out in my current class of max 8 (maybe 9 if someone forgets to sign in), and realize it's much closer to private sessions without the cost.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think so? Oly lifting class = $170/mo unlimited, but classes are only held at 5:30pm during the week. I think the crossfit gym is $114/mo for unlimited classes and yoga and it has more availability? But the classes are I think a max of 16 people, and it looks like they have a minimum of 8 people per class, based on their online enrolling system that I checked. I'm going to keep bugging my co-worker to see how many people actually show up to the class and see how much help he got during things.

Currently, if I go 3x per week, it comes out to sub-$15/class. I need to get back into a more robust schedule, like 4x a week, and then that'll drop things to around $10 a class, which is more palatable? Idk. I just...feel like it isn't worth $170? But I wouldn't mind paying $150 for the same gym? Which is why I'm kinda looking around...

EDIT - Lol, he just said one of the classes had 15-20 people in it and that it seemed to be the norm. Going to hide out in my current class of max 8 (maybe 9 if someone forgets to sign in), and realize it's much closer to private sessions without the cost.
We definitely start to get weird when there are more than 8 people in the class. Fourteen people seem like a nightmare. I can't imagine regularly having 20 people in a class.

I suppose you have options, so it's good to look. Here we don't really have options.

We definitely start to get weird when there are more than 8 people in the class. Fourteen people seem like a nightmare. I can't imagine regularly having 20 people in a class.

I suppose you have options, so it's good to look. Here we don't really have options.
Actually, it's the complete opposite. We have no options really downtown Indianapolis, which is why the pricing is higher/if it's lower there are so many people in the class. I could find stuff that's way cheaper, but it's 30-minutes outside of downtown...which is where I live and work. So I'm counting the 'higher cost' against me being able to walk to the gym/going right after work. I've kinda made my peace with it. I think I'm just getting itchy feet because I want to try something new, but I'm also not being that strict with going to the gym in general, so, yeah. I might talk with one of the trainers to see if there is a price difference between the unlimited (which I'm doing now) and dropping down to 3x a week again?

Also. I have not gone to the gym this week so far. Monday it was supposed to thunderstorm, so I stayed in, and then it just sprinkled. I want to go tonight, but my broken butt muscle started hurting a ton when I was just walking today (not sure if it's because we're having storms over two days)? Wednesday is a bust due to drinking with coworkers. Thursday...I might be able to go, but I have to drop Odin off at a coworkers for my trip. Friday = traveling to go see @tj_PE and maybe pool? I have been told I need to workout with them. I hope it's gentle for my broken butt.

Okay. No gym for this week. I just relaxed yesterday/did simple stretches with a heat pad and my glute feels way better today and isn’t hurting when I’m walking around the facility. I avoided a crazy deadlift day when I looked in the gym app. Coworker gave me an update on his class: no a/c, 10 people in class (besides him) and the classes are 45-min long. So I’ll be sticking with my 8 people max, a/c building, hour long hell. Going to try and get super serious in September. I think trying to get more strict with CICO and juggling gym overwhelmed me a little bit with covid and things changing at work.

For the thread; Odin was achy yesterday too:

C5BCE3BE-A69E-414D-8627-25D396826B00.jpeg

Ugh. I died doing workouts with @tj_PE this weekend. Forcing me to do the bigger weights. I did super like the Peloton classes! I might do them more often at night on days I can't get to the gym and/or I want to do yoga. Like tonight, since I'm picking up Odin from his babysitters, I might attempt to do a class when I get home since I'll be missing the normal gym. I have no weights at home, but maybe I'll buy a set of 15lbs and 20lbs just to have.

I hate getting fit and I hate @tj_PE for making me not have excuses.

I went and talked to the orthopedic surgeon two Mondays ago and he couldn't figure out what was wrong. I then had to go for an MRI last Friday and have my follow up with the Dr again this Monday. It's interesting my knee doesn't hurt while working out. I started up again last week and haven't noticed any pain while lifting, but there is still pain when I do some other basic movements.

I also ran Monday and did some rucking yesterday. I'm going to try to incorporate running/rucking on my non-lifting days. Before Monday, I honestly haven't just gone and ran a straight mile in probably 8-10 years, but it felt pretty good. The goal is to run 5mi in 35 minutes.

Lol. I haven't gone to the gym in over two weeks due to traveling and getting sick (super bad summer cold). I went for a walk yesterday, just to get out of the house, and -oh no!- my glute is fucking killing me this morning. I emailed my gym to see if I can pause my membership for the next couple of months. I think I need to actually listen to the doctor and take it super slow/not do a crazy amount of hip work. I'm hoping 2 months will help this recover and I can maybe go back in December?

Since I've now got access to Peloton, but no weights, hopefully I can just do simple stretches and relax a bit to let this heal.

Find a good PT/MT, and you may be surprised how quickly you can bounce back. I've gone from back frozen, can barely walk to 90% better and back in the gym after a single session with my MT.

Find a good PT/MT, and you may be surprised how quickly you can bounce back. I've gone from back frozen, can barely walk to 90% better and back in the gym after a single session with my MT.
Yeah, I'm researching right now. I think I might have a partial tear, so I'm trying to find a different doctor to confirm (the other doctor knew something was wrong but didn't do a full analysis of what was up there/didn't really suggest anything other than going lighter and resting). I'm still feeling a little under the weather from my cold, so I'm going to rest up and start tackling this in a few days.

Back