Nutrition, Diet, and Exercise: Notes, Goals, and Resources (these people just keep talking about crossfit)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the thing...I really like the fitbit app way more than MFP, but I just wish there was a way to track my steps/heart rate without having to use a watch. Idk. Once the fitbit dies, I'll be free to go back to wearing my old lady watch (my graduation seiko, and maybe some of my more expensive ones, if I can find them...)
1628780255179.png

Lol, went to a doctor on Friday to figure out what was going on with my hip (since it's still achy). It is not my TFL that I messed up, it is my gluteus medius. He said that it didn't seem like I tore it, which would have been immediate pain/I would be limping and def not working out, but I most likely strained it when I was doing a heavy deadlift (that's what he assumed when I told him I did weightlifting, I guess it's common to mess it up like that). When I asked him if I could keep exercising he said I could, but that I should try and limit squatting/lunging exercises with added weight. Seems he wants me to keep working out, but lightly, to try and strengthen the muscle. Since it started hurting at the end of May, and hasn't gotten worse, he think it's a mild strain that is just healing slowly. If I wanted to 'really give it a go' at healing, he said I could stop doing weightlifting activities for 2 months, but he understood that I am an idiot and I'd just keep doing stuff.

At least I now have an answer on what was going on. Plus, it seems I was kinda doing the 'right' thing by working out and asking for modifications to fucking Cossack squats and lowering my deadlift weights!

So I'm down about 10lbs since I stopped weightlifting back towards the end of June. I'm pretty much an ectomorph, so I have the opposite problem of most people. When I stop eating "healthy" (what's healthy for me) and stop working out I end up losing weight.

I also need to figure out what's wrong with my knee. Back at the end of June we I decided to put lifting on hold, I also played in a kickball tournament. I found out the hard way I don't heal as quickly as I used to. Over the months my knee has been slowly getting worse, and I can only imagine what would've happened had I kept weightlifting.

Not sure if anyone here has an idea of what could be wrong? When I keep my knee bent for a long time (like sitting) and go to extend it the joint hurts. And the same thing happens when I keep my leg straight for a while and then go to bend it. And when sitting down in a chair, when I lean over to tie my shoes it hurts so much that it gives out on me shortly after putting weight on it (but I gain composure a few seconds later).

Last edited:
Unfortunately a lot of knee issues have overlapping symptoms. Torn meniscus is very common and can cause that, as can ACL injuries. MCL injuries are usually felt on the inside of the knee, but pain, swelling, buckling also overlaps the other two.

So I'm down about 10lbs since I stopped weightlifting back towards the end of June. I'm pretty much an ectomorph, so I have the opposite problem of most people. When I stop eating "healthy" (what's healthy for me) and stop working out I end up losing weight.

I also need to figure out what's wrong with my knee. Back at the end of June we I decided to put lifting on hold, I also played in a kickball tournament. I found out the hard way I don't heal as quickly as I used to. Over the months my knee has been slowly getting worse, and I can only imagine what would've happened had I kept weightlifting.

Not sure if anyone here has an idea of what could be wrong? When I keep my knee bent for a long time (like sitting) and go to extend it the joint hurts. And the same thing happens when I keep my leg straight for a while and then go to bend it. And when sitting down in a chair, when I lean over to tie my shoes it hurts so much that it gives out on me shortly after putting weight on it (but I gain composure a few seconds later).
I don't know if your insurance covers it, but a good physical therapist would be my recommendation.

Went to the gym last night and lifted baby weights to not hurt myself. Did deficit deadlifts, 6x4, started at 121lb and ended at 185lb. We just did one huge/bulk conditioning after instead of accessory. 6 minutes with 2 minutes of rest of each: 10 cal row/8 box jumps, 10 cal bike/plate push (1 lap), and 10 forward dumbbell lunges/2 running laps. I think the lunges and plate push were what really killed my glute last night. Walked home. Took a shower. Slapped a ton of heat stickies to it right before bed. Woke up and it aches, but not too crazy.

Going to keep trying to do lighter weights.

@csb you prob lift way more than me at back squat! I don't know what my 1rep PR is, but I know when I last did it with a 3second negative I only hit 137lbs? Of course, I haven't don't back squat in a while...that number is from May.

Be careful on deficits with strained glutes. You may want to substitute those for some elevated deadlifts or trap bar deadlifts for a bit to let it calm down. You're forcing an already aggravated muscle to do more work in a stretched position, which in turn can start to bug your lower back as well. Conventional deadlifts are a bit kinder on glute medius than sumo stance, but also be careful of wider squat positions as well, including things like goblet squats, etc.

Yeah, it doesn't hurt when I do deadlift, but it def got achy when we were doing warmup and we had to do the super deep squats (like side lunges and bootstrappers). For goblet squats, I'm most likely just going to do body weight, and sumos I'll prob just do conventional deadlift. I've also found out that mountain climbers are super not good, maybe because you have to rapidly move the legs back and forth/it feels super shaky. I've already talked about this with the trainers and they're being super understanding and are like 'if it hurts, stop, and we'll figure out a mod'. I don't want to just...stop working out, and then feel like the muscle gets weaker.

I'm so over this 60%-90% humidity. It makes my training so miserable. 3 miles yesterday... I was supposed to run 3.5 but I missed that note on my training plan. I may run 4 miles tomorrow since I'm teleworking and my first meeting isn't until 10:30.

I'm always amazed by people who run. I...try my best, but my walking isn't anything to write home about.
Yeah, I'm not a runner... for many reasons. But I've always kind of wanted to work with a running coach. I feel like my form is all wrong. Sometimes it seems like running comes naturally to everyone but me.

I'm always amazed by people who run. I...try my best, but my walking isn't anything to write home about.
Once you get the kinks out, it's pretty effortless. I mean, you still breathe pretty hard, and you sometimes feel like your body is all over the place, but I guess you get used to it. lol Overtime, you don't even think about it. You just run.

@csb you prob lift way more than me at back squat! I don't know what my 1rep PR is, but I know when I last did it with a 3second negative I only hit 137lbs? Of course, I haven't don't back squat in a while...that number is from May.
It was a mighty 147.5 lbs. Two rounds before that I let go of my core and panicked hard about going heavier, but then got a spot and did it. Next week is the third week of progressive overload and I'm nervous.

Back