Nutrition, Diet, and Exercise: Notes, Goals, and Resources (these people just keep talking about crossfit)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to gym Tuesday. Sumo deadlifts. 4 rounds of 4 followed by 3 rounds of 2. Maxed at 205lbs using the standard grip. Could have prob gone a bit higher, maybe, if I did the over-under, but I was too busy working on my form/breathing. Also, I am terrified of dropping my weights, so my sumo deadlift/any deadlift always ends with me gently lowering my weight back to the ground.

More daily jk fitness journal: last night was push press. Was working out with a stronger girl and I did 97lbs for a set of 3. We did high volume, so it was 6 rounds of 3 and I slowly worked my way up to it from a starting weight of 77lbs. Gym buddy said I was coming last night for Thursday...so I guess they've figured out that if they don't ask, but tell me, I'll be too polite to say no and I'll show up.

Last edited:
The journal continues: we did front squat, box squats last Friday as a baseline (5 rounds of 4). We did them again this week (5 rounds of 5) and I went up! My max last time was 117lbs and this time I went up to 127lb! I hate the box squats because you have to physically stop/pause in sitting position and you can’t bounce up. Which makes it soooooo hard.

More daily jk fitness journal:
Cardio rebuttal! Got a new pair of sneakies so ran a 5k on the abandoned railroad trail behind the office building. Tempo run today, so I was roasting in the sun by the end.

Edit: @JayKay PE what would you like as a reward when you can huck me over a wall? 🏋️‍♀️

Edit #2: I could probably post in the running thread, but too bad!

Last edited:
GUESS WHO WENT TO THE MORNING CLASS AT 6AM AND NOBODY ELSE WAS FRICKIN THERE SO IT TURNED INTO A 1 ON 1 WITH THE TRAINER FORCING ME TO DO THINGS “CORRECT” AND “HARDER”???

Three guesses and the first two don’t count.

Todays workout was high rep front squats. So 5 rounds of 10. Got up to 78lbs front squat, which is low I think, but when you’re doing that many reps it really starts becoming difficult since I had 2:00min to finish the reps and rest before the next round. Remainder of class was single leg squats (noooooo), V-ups (noooooooo), and KB RDLs (eh, okay) for the accessory. Conditioning was brutal because there was no one there to distract/compare to, so it was just me and the trainer making sure I did things right. 21-15-9 of thrusters (only did 15lb dumbbells due to the volume of reps), inverted row (which I did on the rack/barbell instead of the TRX, success!), and cardio machine (row, bike, or ski). I was allowed to row the first rounds, but had to finish on the ski machine and I wanted to dieeeee. But I finished!!! I’m hoping to have a muscle by the end of this year.

Oh. And the workout on Wednesday was deadlift with 3-second negatives. Only got up to 175lb. I also did my negatives much longer because I don’t like dropping my weights anyway, so I just punished myself.

Went to the gym on Friday, yay! First time I had been since October. Bad news - I through my back out on my second deadlift warmup. Same L4/L5/S1 problem I've been having. Hobbled around all Friday afternoon, couldn't move on Saturday, back to hobbling yesterday. Bad pain down the left side this time (normally the right), and my back/butt/hamstrings are tight as a drum trying to "protect" it. This sucks.

Went to the gym on Friday, yay! First time I had been since October. Bad news - I through my back out on my second deadlift warmup. Same L4/L5/S1 problem I've been having. Hobbled around all Friday afternoon, couldn't move on Saturday, back to hobbling yesterday. Bad pain down the left side this time (normally the right), and my back/butt/hamstrings are tight as a drum trying to "protect" it. This sucks.
Aw shiiiiit. Is there anything you can do to baby it along? Massage? PT? Not deadlifting? Bouncing quarters off your butt to pass the time?

@squaretaper LIT AF PE *cries* I don't wanna throw you over a fence! Also, thank you for confirming I def weigh at least 20lbs on you. Curse you and your thoroughbred body vs. my workhorse body!

Pretty much just going to have to wait it out until the pain subsides. Plan is to have a session with the gym owner/trainer before resuming any deadlifting to figure out what's going on and develop a plan to mitigate this moving forward. It's only in lumbar extension, not when squatting, which is a bit strange. When I feel like its OK, going to just stick with squats and reverse hyper type exercises for a bit.

Curse you and your thoroughbred body vs. my workhorse body!
The only thing I'm thoroughly bred for is eating pizza.

On-topic: early AM 5k with the doggos, hopefully that will shut em up during the day so they don't interrupt my very unimportant video calls.

Edit: Back on track with food. Not that I was too far off track (just one loose day), but had unplanned takeout on Saturday so...took kind of a carb side quest...WORTH IT!

Last edited:
early AM 5k with the doggos, hopefully that will shut em up during the day so they don't interrupt my very unimportant video calls.
Just...a random 5K? Like. Unplanned? You just...just ran that? I'd shut up if I was your dogs so I wouldn't have to do that again.

I'm going to try to be like @JayKay PE and post my fitness journal... 😁

Today I went to the gym for the first time since COVID. I just worked out on my own to see how it felt and how much progress I've lost. I was moving pretty slow. Took a full hour to do this...

3x5 Back Squats (135, 185, 225)
3x5 Deadlifts (135, 185, 225)
3x5 Box Jumps (20", 24", 30")
3x5 Clean and Jerks (115, 135, 155)

I didn't do any cardio because (1) I couldn't find my jump rope and (2) I just ran out of time.

My strength is not too bad compared to where I was a year ago. But my endurance is completely shot. Trying to decide if I'm ready to jump back into classes. First let's see how I feel tomorrow.

Yay!!! @jean15paul_PE join me in fitness journaling!!!

Today’s workout was thrusters. I did 30lbs the whole workout! Was 5 rounds of 4, but I made it!!!! Accessory workout was 4 rounds of :30/:30 tempo goblet squat (2020), lat pull downs, and plank with pull through. Goblet squat I did two rounds of yellow kettlebell and then I went up to 44lbs for the remainder, got super deep and felt really secure in my squat. Lat pull downs started with green band and then green+blue for the last two rounds. Plank pull through...I used a blue kettlebell. It was hard.

Conditioning was incremental increase devils press and box jumps. Devils press went up by one each round. Box jump went up by two. Started on devils press, so I got up to 7. Box jump I got up to 12. So 28 total devils press and 42 box jumps in 12 minutes. I am super bad at box jumps. My height was also not as dramatic as JP, since we use jerk blocks as our boxes for the shorter height. I think we had ours set at 17.25” (15” block + 2.25” cover). Some of the other people in class were going higher, but I’m still getting a hang of box jumps and don’t want to slam my shins.

Y'all are so beastly, I love it.

Nutrition is going pretty well overall. Other than the usual Friday night out (typically sushi, nothing too horrible), food management has been a win. Found my ideal balance of macros and basically eating the same thing every day. Every. Dang. Day. Buuut, I tell myself it's not forever. I have 5-8 pounds left to lose (from a start of +30 pounds) until I can just maintain (the I can add back 300-400 calories).

Edit: Kind of pointless to add much detail since everybody is different/has different preferences. But just wanted to add that I'm very happy with my homemade protein/grain concoction I make for breakfast. In words, it might sound kind of weird, but I think it tastes good and easily keeps me satiated until lunch.

How...how do you feel? Are you going to go to the gym like me? I was asked by someone right after class ended. They've figured it out and now they're exploiting me!
I'm sore but not miserably so. I'm definitely going to keep going. Just need to decide how to fit it in my schedule and what to do (classes, independent work, etc)

I'm sore but not miserably so. I'm definitely going to keep going. Just need to decide how to fit it in my schedule and what to do (classes, independent work, etc)
I say do independent work for a week or two and then maybe try a class? I don't know how hard your classes are, but I know I suck doing independent workouts and need someone to tell me what to do.

Y'all are so beastly, I love it.

Nutrition is going pretty well overall. Other than the usual Friday night out (typically sushi, nothing too horrible), food management has been a win. Found my ideal balance of macros and basically eating the same thing every day. Every. Dang. Day. Buuut, I tell myself it's not forever. I have 5-8 pounds left to lose (from a start of +30 pounds) until I can just maintain (the I can add back 300-400 calories).

Edit: Kind of pointless to add much detail since everybody is different/has different preferences. But just wanted to add that I'm very happy with my homemade protein/grain concoction I make for breakfast. In words, it might sound kind of weird, but I think it tastes good and easily keeps me satiated until lunch.
I've got to figure out macros/whatever. During the week I have a fairly normal breakfast/lunch (lots of protein shake + salad w/ chicken), but I also feel like...idk. I'm not doing well enough? I feel like eating less processed foods is my main goal, but I am also one of those people that I don't want to leave my snacks in my cabinet languishing? Got to figure out meal planning, but, eh.

Back