NORTH CAROLINA - RESULTS

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll offer my 2 cents. If you work for a small consulting firm, and it sounds like maybe you do, you might not get much increase in salary for passing the exam. It depends on how much work is coming in and how it can be billed. If you're doing the same work you've always done, it may not bring any additional income to the company. I think it depends more on how valuable an employee you are. That includes project management, supervising, etc. The way to make the best money also has the highest risk--start your own company. But if you want to keep a job in your current firm, figure out what you can offer for an increase in salary. You can offer to seal designs, but there is already a PE to do that. If you can offer to take more responsibility or manage some of the projects, etc, that would be a good negotiating point.
I will say that we are not a large firm by no means however work is booming. I currently work an average 55 to 60 hrs. per week and still have a backlog of work. I have been told I will be sealing my own work from this point on (I already design/manage my projects) and the rest of the office is already looking to me for answers since my boss (only other PE) spends most of his time in his truck. I will also add that my billing is good and the founder of the company has told me I am not allowed to leave until he retires. I am just tired of fighting for every single raise.

Back