New Jersey License Numbers Out

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Based on what license # theyre up to, they issued one 6/21, none on Friday 6/22, 2 on Monday 6/25 and 1 so far today. Before that they were processing around 10 a day. FYI my check was mailed 6/11, marked received on my checklist 6/22 cashed 6/25... yet to receive my number, lets hope it is before the NJ government shut down!
You are talking about Engineers alone.  They are manually processing licenses for all professions, in which they do about 300+ per day.  It is unfortunate that they don't have a more automated process for this... maybe an electronic form and pay by credit card for license activation?  Oh wait, I forgot NJ is stuck in 1995.

You are talking about Engineers alone.  They are manually processing licenses for all professions, in which they do about 300+ per day.  It is unfortunate that they don't have a more automated process for this... maybe an electronic form and pay by credit card for license activation?  Oh wait, I forgot NJ is stuck in 1995.
More amazing... Renewals are digital. It's just the O.G.'s that pay by check - Makes perfect sense

More amazing... Renewals are digital. It's just the O.G.'s that pay by check - Makes perfect sense
My activation form and check got returned to me after 11 days due to lack of postage.  I guess next time i ask the receptionist to mail something out, I need to explicitly tell her to add a stamp.  The Newark post office literally hand drew a question mark where the stamp was supposed to be.  I sent it back with proper postage and that probably puts me at the end of the line.  I hope to receive my certificate before retirement.

My activation form and check got returned to me after 11 days due to lack of postage.  I guess next time i ask the receptionist to mail something out, I need to explicitly tell her to add a stamp.  The Newark post office literally hand drew a question mark where the stamp was supposed to be.  I sent it back with proper postage and that probably puts me at the end of the line.  I hope to receive my certificate before retirement.
Wow, passed one test and now you don't even mail your own letters. That kick back of mail must have been humbling!

I guess next time i ask the receptionist to mail something out, I need to explicitly tell her to add a stamp.  The Newark post office literally hand drew a question mark where the stamp was supposed to be.  I sent it back with proper postage and that probably puts me at the end of the line.  I hope to receive my certificate before retirement.
Is it bad that I chuckled when I read this?

The Newark post office literally hand drew a question mark where the stamp was supposed to be.
And then loudly laughed when I read this?

Seems like such a Jersey thing to do. A human would have to do that, because you know it's not automated. Probably set you back another few days for that added human intervention.

I hope to receive my certificate before retirement.
Good luck.

New Jersey going at a furious pace here:

1 license released yesterday

2 on Wednesday

4 Tuesday

2 Monday

and 0 last Friday.....

This statistic is irrelevant to NJ. In NJ, the release of license numbers depends on the recipient sending in the completed form and payment. Once you pass the exam, the board does an application completeness review and then mails out a license activation packet to complete and return with fee. This form and fee is sent to an office in Trenton that handles all type of licenses for the State of NJ.  NJ is not like other states where a license is automatically issued once the exam is passed. 

This statistic is irrelevant to NJ. In NJ, the release of license numbers depends on the recipient sending in the completed form and payment. Once you pass the exam, the board does an application completeness review and then mails out a license activation packet to complete and return with fee. This form and fee is sent to an office in Trenton that handles all type of licenses for the State of NJ.  NJ is not like other states where a license is automatically issued once the exam is passed. 
I think everyone is pointing out the ineptitude of all of NJ government as a whole, not necessarily just the PE Board. 3 months from passing a scantron test to license issuance when the only thing that happens in between the two on the applicant's end is an $80 dollar check seems a bit antiquated.

Speaking from personal experience, my form/check was mailed in 21+ days ago, check cashed 14+ days ago and updated on the checklist, and meanwhile it is "still under review" and the license number is not issued yet. So the money is good enough to acknowledge and cash, but not good enough to approve.

I think everyone is pointing out the ineptitude of all of NJ government as a whole, not necessarily just the PE Board. 3 months from passing a scantron test to license issuance when the only thing that happens in between the two on the applicant's end is an $80 dollar check seems a bit antiquated.

Speaking from personal experience, my form/check was mailed in 21+ days ago, check cashed 14+ days ago and updated on the checklist, and meanwhile it is "still under review" and the license number is not issued yet. So the money is good enough to acknowledge and cash, but not good enough to approve.
^^ They probably were just hoping for Gov't shutdown and were busy getting ready to do nothing (aka what they do everyday)

I mailed in my check and activation form 6/11.  They cashed my check 6/22.  Still no license number and the board's phone line has been "busy" since yesterday morning... SO FRUSTRATING!!!

Consider yourselves lucky - compared to what we across the river in New York are going through.  It been more than 8-weeks since the scores have been released by NCEES and only about 25% of the licenses have been issued.  When I called them yesterday to inquire further, they claimed that they only got the upload from NCEES three weeks ago.  To quote a line Mary Steenburgen had in the original version of the movie 'Time after Time' (1979) - "A bigger crock of **** I never heard!"

By the way, in the movie 'Back to the Future III' (1990), she used similar words with Doc when he tried to say he was a time traveler - " I've heard some whoppers? in my time but that tops them all."  I guess the girl attracts time travelers than decided they have too much baggage, huh.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mailed in my check and activation form 6/11.  They cashed my check 6/22.  Still no license number and the board's phone line has been "busy" since yesterday morning... SO FRUSTRATING!!!
The board does not control the distribution of the actual license.  You should have gotten letter from board with your number so you can order seal. Physical licenses are issued from Trenton, not Newark.

I don't see any activity here after 2018 but I was wondering if anyone has any information on the NJ licensing after October 2020 exam? I filled my application in 2019 and I got my approval in 2020 to take the April exam which was canceled and I took and passed the December exam. Do I just wait to get the license number?

I read here about sending a check and that check being cashed, is this different than the $75 nonrefundable application check that I sent along my application?

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't see any activity here after 2018 but I was wondering if anyone has any information on the NJ licensing after October 2020 exam? I filled my application in 2019 and I got my approval in 2020 to take the April exam which was canceled and I took and passed the December exam. Do I just wait to get the license number?

I read here about sending a check and that check being cashed, is this different than the $75 nonrefundable application check that I sent along my application?
I've heard nothing here but from what I'm told the State sends out some kind of "official" letter with a license number on it and says give us a check ~$80 which covers the registration and first 2 years of licensure.

I've heard nothing here but from what I'm told the State sends out some kind of "official" letter with a license number on it and says give us a check ~$80 which covers the registration and first 2 years of licensure.
Next board meeting is on January 21, 2020. So I guess we are not going to receive the approval letter before that. and then we have to mail the verification form and the licensing fee to get the license number.

Back