Need references to get my license

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John123

Reaction score
Greeting,

i passed the pe exam but i work in very small company there is no any one Pe

pls i just want your help to get reference to complete my application to be PE

pls if anyone can help ???

As stated in other threads, your best bet is to go to a local ASCE, ASPE or other professional meeting and find peers in your local area that would be willing to vouch for you.

Not many engineers will provide a reference for someone whom they've never met or worked with.

As stated in other threads, your best bet is to go to a local ASCE, ASPE or other professional meeting and find peers in your local area that would be willing to vouch for you.

Not many engineers will provide a reference for someone whom they've never met or worked with.
i appreciate that , the problem i am new here almost i know only 25 guys work with me

i appreciate that , the problem i am new here almost i know only 25 guys work with me
I think you're going to have to put in the time and effort to get to know some PEs personally. As @blybrook PE said, if there are no PEs at your workplace, the easiest way is through local chapters of professional organizations.

Last edited:
I think you're going to have to put in the time and effort to get to know some PEs personally. As @blybrook PE said, if there are no PEs at your workplace, the easiest way is through local chapters of professional organizations.
Pls i need your help ,
I need references to apply for Pe license
Pls anyone can help

@John123, I am going to get up on a soapbox for this post.

Both @blybrook PE and @jean15paul_PE have provided more than enough information for you to obtain the necessary references. It will take work on your end to make this happen as references are not going to just be handed to you because you asked on an anonymous bulletin board full of engineers. Most of the members on this board have been here for years and we have worked hard to obtain our licenses. We are not going to risk loosing them for someone who cannot follow their state's requirements for licensure. We are willing to help guide someone in the right direction, but are not going to do the work for them.

Note that you have not listed what state you are attempting to get licensed in. There are a few states that REQUIRE that the references be licensed in that state, California is a prime example. You need to verify if it is required by your state board for the reference to be licensed in that jurisdiction or not.

Your grammar and use of the English language is atrocious after reading through several of your posts. It appears to have been written by a 5th grader and not an educated professional. Requests written the way that yours have been presented are more likely to be ignored. Be thankful that members did respond in an attempt to help you.

Ethically speaking, you need to attend local professional meetings and get to know other engineers in your area. They are the best people to potentially provide a reference.

*Rant over, putting the soapbox away.

I agree with @PeeWee 's rant above. I will add on this point...

Your grammar and use of the English language is atrocious after reading through several of your posts. It appears to have been written by a 5th grader and not an educated professional. Requests written the way that yours have been presented are more likely to be ignored. Be thankful that members did respond in an attempt to help you.
... I assumed that English isn't @John123 's native language. No reason to fault them for that.

But yeah @John123 , I would consider it unethical to give a recommendation to someone that I don't know personally / in real life. I suspect that most state boards would feel the same. I'm sure you can get licensed, you just have to put in the work. Part of that work is building a network of PEs.

Let me go a little farther-- @John123. You need to get invvolved in engineering activities in your area-- Marthcounts judge, Future Cities, Clean up the River-- all activities that engineers are involved in the community. This will help you meet some folks who MAY be willing to review your work and sign a reference form for you-- however, DO NOT assume that just volunteering and attending society meetings will yield any results. As has been mentioned by many others-- you are going to have to develop relationships that WANT to help you-- not that you DEMAND that someone do something for you. that is what I have read in your posts.

You may wish to take an English class or two to improve your communication skills. I don't know, nor do I care if English is NOT your native language-- the comments made by others here are germane-- trust me, we are trying to help you succeed-- sometimes feedback that is crisp is hard to accept but brutually honest. Don't cry-- just do it.

I'll agree that @PeeWee was a little harsh, but sometimes brutal honesty is how we learn to improve and succeed.

You can do the work necessary to get the requested assistance. It isn't going to happen overnight.

Best of luck on your career.

The only harsh part of @PeeWee's reply was calling out the language. When we were all 5 years old learning English, we sounded like that too. Can't fault someone who knows multiple languages.

But yeah, everything else, spot-fucking-on.

At this point, finding PE references is probably the least of your worries. Most, if not all states require your work experience to be obtained under the direct supervision of a licensed PE in the state you apply in. If there are no PE's at your company, there is also a good chance that the work you are doing may not count as engineering work, or your company could be breaking the law by advertising and "providing" engineering services. In NJ, PE references are confidential, so you also need to verify who you get a reference from to make sure they don't send in a bad reference stating that you are just trying to cheat the system which could cause you even bigger problems with the Licensing Board in your state.

At this point, finding PE references is probably the least of your worries. Most, if not all states require your work experience to be obtained under the direct supervision of a licensed PE in the state you apply in. If there are no PE's at your company, there is also a good chance that the work you are doing may not count as engineering work, or your company could be breaking the law by advertising and "providing" engineering services. In NJ, PE references are confidential, so you also need to verify who you get a reference from to make sure they don't send in a bad reference stating that you are just trying to cheat the system which could cause you even bigger problems with the Licensing Board in your state.
I'm pretty sure a lot of states have exceptions for work not gained under a PE. I know my state does, and I know I've heard of some others states have similar exceptions. Definitely good to point it out; those rules should be verified. But I'm not assuming that's a show-stopper.

@John123, I am going to get up on a soapbox for this post.

Both @blybrook PE and @jean15paul_PE have provided more than enough information for you to obtain the necessary references. It will take work on your end to make this happen as references are not going to just be handed to you because you asked on an anonymous bulletin board full of engineers. Most of the members on this board have been here for years and we have worked hard to obtain our licenses. We are not going to risk loosing them for someone who cannot follow their state's requirements for licensure. We are willing to help guide someone in the right direction, but are not going to do the work for them.

Note that you have not listed what state you are attempting to get licensed in. There are a few states that REQUIRE that the references be licensed in that state, California is a prime example. You need to verify if it is required by your state board for the reference to be licensed in that jurisdiction or not.

Ethically speaking, you need to attend local professional meetings and get to know other engineers in your area. They are the best people to potentially provide a reference.

*Rant over, putting the soapbox away.
California doesn't require the references to be licensed in California. Just licensed or authorized to practice in the jurisdiction where the claimed work experience occurred (e.g. where project was located)

California doesn't require the references to be licensed in California. Just licensed or authorized to practice in the jurisdiction where the claimed work experience occurred (e.g. where project was located)
Thank you for the clarification. When my co-worker was going for reciprocity in CA a few years ago, he was having a hard time finding CA PE's to provide references as it was required at that time.

And to the OP, I apologize for being derogatory with the spelling and grammar callout. I was frustrated after attempting to decipher your posts.

It was unprofessional of me, so to the OP and others who may have been offended, I apologize.

Thank you for the clarification. When my co-worker was going for reciprocity in CA a few years ago, he was having a hard time finding CA PE's to provide references as it was required at that time.
Not trying to be argumentative but I have no idea where your co-worker got that idea because that is incorrect. What I mentioned above has been in place for over two decades at least, if not longer. What discipline of license was your co-worker applying for?

......licensed or authorized to practice in the jurisdiction where the claimed work experience occurred (e.g. where project was located)
If the work experience occurred in California, then by definition the reference must be licensed in California...because California is the jurisdiction. lol

@PeeWee If this is how you handle pressure and frustration, I wonder how you succeed in your workplace. This is an English speaking country, no doubt, but if you notice, the OP is capable enough to understand, comprehend, and pass the PE, which is an English based test. In addition to the OP brushing up on the English language, I encourage you to seriously consider taking some communication improvement classes and being tolerant and understanding of other people's abilities (or lack thereof).

If the work experience occurred in California, then by definition the reference must be licensed in California...because California is the jurisdiction. lol
Well that could certainly be the case haha. I was thinking someone from another state.

Back