NCEES RESULTS ARE OUT! POST YOUR RESULTS!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those of you who passed, Congrats!!!

I wanted to ask you, what have you read/studied/watched to cover Protective Relays part?

Those of you who passed, Congrats!!!

I wanted to ask you, what have you read/studied/watched to cover Protective Relays part?
Zach's class.

Elmore's Protective Relaying 

Some of Blackburn

Some of Glover 

Some of the GE Art and Science of Protective Relaying 

Elmore's was my fave tbh even tho it uses a lot of ABB relays and I always remove their relays at work 😂

Last edited by a moderator:
This was my first attempt and after the two exam terminations, it was incredibly difficult to keep my studying momentum up. I felt good going into the CBT exam. The day before the exam I took the NCEES practice test and made a 85 in simulated test conditions. I would say the CBT test questions were very different from any practice test I have taken. I finished the morning session with an hour on the clock took a 30 min break and went back in. I finished the afternoon section very quickly with 2.5 hrs. left. I did not leave the test feeling confident. As mentioned in previous post, the test is very much you either know it or you don't and ALOT of qualitative problems. After waiting a week, I finally got my results and I did not pass the exam. I will regroup and start studying again after the first of the year. Hopefully, I will retake in February.  I have included my diagnostic below. 

Capture.PNG

@Strawhat_PE Did you leave the testing center with 2.5 hours left on the clock? or did you get thru all questions in that time and try to keep looking over your work?

This was my first attempt and after the two exam terminations, it was incredibly difficult to keep my studying momentum up. I felt good going into the CBT exam. The day before the exam I took the NCEES practice test and made a 85 in simulated test conditions. I would say the CBT test questions were very different from any practice test I have taken. I finished the morning session with an hour on the clock took a 30 min break and went back in. I finished the afternoon section very quickly with 2.5 hrs. left. I did not leave the test feeling confident. As mentioned in previous post, the test is very much you either know it or you don't and ALOT of qualitative problems. After waiting a week, I finally got my results and I did not pass the exam. I will regroup and start studying again after the first of the year. Hopefully, I will retake in February.  I have included my diagnostic below. 

View attachment 20222
I am seeing that you are doing poorly on Circuit analysis, Rotating machines, transmission lines, and protection. I would suggest you take some time for these subtopics. Are you enrolled with any online courses? If not, I would strongly suggest doing so with @Zach Stone, P.E. course. Two month course would be fine since you will be taking it on February, and will  fix your circuit analysis. He has awesome Boot camp videos that will be able to help you and live classes that will surely boost your confident during the exam.

Good luck ! :)

This was my first attempt and after the two exam terminations, it was incredibly difficult to keep my studying momentum up.
@Strawhat_PE That's brutal, I've felt the same way about the momentum. I quit studying when the April exam got cancelled, studied for a few weeks for the October one before it was cancelled, and barely got into a rhythm before my December one got cancelled because of local Covid situation. I'll take it in January (maybe/hopefully). I hate looking at my diagnostics because I spend a lot of time overthinking it and wondering "how did I mess up learning rotating machines? is my learning technique wrong?" This forum has honestly been the the best thing for me to make me feel like I'm not alone. I must thank @akyip and @Sparky Bill, PE for continuously posting new material ... will miss all of your posts Bill ... but congrats to you and everyone else who passed! Good luck on your next try Strawhat.

@Strawhat_PE That's brutal, I've felt the same way about the momentum. I quit studying when the April exam got cancelled, studied for a few weeks for the October one before it was cancelled, and barely got into a rhythm before my December one got cancelled because of local Covid situation. I'll take it in January (maybe/hopefully). I hate looking at my diagnostics because I spend a lot of time overthinking it and wondering "how did I mess up learning rotating machines? is my learning technique wrong?" This forum has honestly been the the best thing for me to make me feel like I'm not alone. I must thank @akyip and @Sparky Bill, PE for continuously posting new material ... will miss all of your posts Bill ... but congrats to you and everyone else who passed! Good luck on your next try Strawhat.
Ah, thanks for the shout out!

I'm not sure how well I'll do come the exam day, but I'm just gonna do my best. My main concern is that the exam can throw curve balls with unexpected questions...

Hi Everyone. I also PASSED my PE Power exam. I want to return the favor and would like to sell all of my references/practice exam books with a discount for those people who are willing to pass this test.

Send me a message if you are interested! 

Thank you,

Hi Everyone. I also PASSED my PE Power exam. I want to return the favor and would like to sell all of my references/practice exam books with a discount for those people who are willing to pass this test.

Send me a message if you are interested! 

Thank you,
Congratulations! I would suggest you make a thread in the yard sale with a list of what materials you have available. 

Question 531) Can someone help me with this question? In the solution it is divided by a square root of 3. Why do we divide by a square root of 3 and later it is multiplied by 3. If it is 3 phase how do we know it?

IMG_6125.jpg

QUESTION 531.jpg

Question 540) Question asked for contributions of G1 . But why does the solution include both G1 and T1?

IMG_6123.jpg

IMG_6124.jpg

@Rajan you probably want to make new posts if you have specific questions that are not related to this particular thread. Also, the search feature is very helpful:

NCEES #531

NCEES #540

Question 531) Can someone help me with this question? In the solution it is divided by a square root of 3. Why do we divide by a square root of 3 and later it is multiplied by 3. If it is 3 phase how do we know it?

View attachment 20310

View attachment 20311
The voltages are stated to be line-to-line voltages. The first step divides the voltages by sqrt(3) to change them into per-phase line-to-neutral voltages, for simple 1-phase equivalent circuit analysis.

Then at the end, the multiplying by 3 occurs because:

Q Line, 1-ph = I^2 * X Line

Q Line, 3-ph = 3 * Q Line, 1-ph = 3 * I^2 * X Line

Question 540) Question asked for contributions of G1 . But why does the solution include both G1 and T1?

View attachment 20312

View attachment 20313
This solution is basically doing a per-unit circuit analysis, using the positive-sequence values for the 3-phase fault. It's solving for S Gen = V Gen * I SC.

Below is a good way to visualize what the solution is actually doing (in per-unit).

540.png

Just want to be clear on the CBT power PE exam, no materials are allowed in the exam correct, only the PE handbook, and the PDF's of the code books will be provided?

Just want to be clear on the CBT power PE exam, no materials are allowed in the exam correct, only the PE handbook, and the PDF's of the code books will be provided?
Correct, just the NCEES reference book and code books listed on the NCEES specifications. These will be in a searchable PDF format on the screen. The screen will be split between the test window and the reference PDF window. 

Correct, just the NCEES reference book and code books listed on the NCEES specifications. These will be in a searchable PDF format on the screen. The screen will be split between the test window and the reference PDF window. 
And just to be clear on this. We don't actually bring in a hard copy of the reference handbook... They provide an electronic PDF version of the handbook for us... Correct?

And just to be clear on this. We don't actually bring in a hard copy of the reference handbook... They provide an electronic PDF version of the handbook for us... Correct?
Correct, you only bring in to the testing center your ID, calculator (w/o cover), scratch pad and pen (they provide), eye glasses, and key to your locker where you can keep your stuff. There should be a locker in the lobby where you can put your calculator cover, wallet, car keys, etc. The left hand side of the screen will have tabs at the top for the handbook, NEC, NESC, 30B, 497, 499, NFPA 70E. You can switch between them and it will remember where you left off in a given reference when you switch between them. 

The searching can be difficult in the NEC. While I practiced at home, if I was for example at Section 230 and started searching for "overcurrent", I would start seeing results from that point on. During the real exam, it will show you all of the results with page numbers next to them but you don't know which page number you are currently on. What I did was search a string of keywords that I could see on the screen so I would get one result returned so I knew what page I was currently on. Then when I search for "overcurrent", I can scroll through the results and start looking from that page forward. Hope this makes sense.

The NEC code book provided during the exam is not like the Handbook correct? Its more like the simplified code-only document on the NFPA website?

Back