NCEES Records Program

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Annual Renewal Fee: $25 Once we receive and process your renewal, we will send you an updated wallet card.

Reinstating and reactivating an inactive Record is $25 per year of inactivity, not to exceed $125
Thanks! Some people may find this a nice insurance policy ($225) to facilitate future applications.

I would like to bump this thread for the recently crowned PEs. And also I just signed up for my Record. Just slipped in under the 1 year deadline for the $100 fee (it's $150 after that). It doesn't really matter anyway since the company paid for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to bump this thread for the recently crowned PEs. And also I just signed up for my Record. Just slipped in under the 1 year deadline for the $100 fee (it's $100 after that). It doesn't really matter anyway since the company paid for it.
He meant $150 after the first year. I think the Record is a no-brainer for anyone who thinks they might some day move to a different state, especially if you think tracking down old references could be difficult. Remember, though, there's a recurring cost to this beast:

* Annual Renewal Fee: $25* Once we receive and process your renewal, we will send you an updated wallet card.

* Reinstating and reactivating an inactive Record is $25 per year of inactivity, not to exceed $125.

* Reference Update form(s): Distribute to your reference. He/she must complete the form and send it directly to NCEES.

* Employment Update form: Distribute to your employer. He/she must complete the form and send directly to NCEES. You are only required to submit an engineering/surveying employment update form if you have changed employments.
I'm thinking about letting it lapse and save the $25/year for a rainy day. Really, I wish someone could explain why I have to pay money for someone to hold my records.

He meant $150 after the first year.
Oops...fixed.

I'm thinking about letting it lapse and save the $25/year for a rainy day. Really, I wish someone could explain why I have to pay money for someone to hold my records.
They charge that because there are enough people like me that don't pay my own licensing fees, and companies typically won't argue over a $25/mo. charge. In other words, they do it because they can.

Oops...fixed.

They charge that because there are enough people like me that don't pay my own licensing fees, and companies typically won't argue over a $25/mo. charge. In other words, they do it because they can.
I'm not sure that explanation makes sense... but I don't have a better one so I'll keep quiet!

Do all states accept the NCEES Record for comity applications? I am looking at Wisconsin, Iowa and Colorado as potential states to register in. I know WI uses it, but I don't know if the others do.

Do all states accept the NCEES Record for comity applications? I am looking at Wisconsin, Iowa and Colorado as potential states to register in. I know WI uses it, but I don't know if the others do.
Is the NCEES Record recognized by all U.S. jurisdictions?
Yes. An NCEES Record is recognized as verified information by all licensing boards in the United States and its territories. However, a licensing board may not accept all portions of the Record and has the right to request additional information.

NOTE: If requested, NCEES will transmit Records to Canada, but we do not know how they will be used or accepted.

question...

i see that applying for this NCEES record program involves providing them with references. which scenario are we talking about here...

1. you just have to provide them names and license numbers and the references are never contacted by NCEES

2. you provide names and license numbers and they somehow contact the references to make sure they are legit

3. you have to get the references themselves to fill out forms and send them in to NCEES (like i had to do for the PE exam)

my second question is this... is the references thing a one-time deal... like once you are accepted to the records program they never need anything else from you regarding references?

question...
i see that applying for this NCEES record program involves providing them with references. which scenario are we talking about here...

1. you just have to provide them names and license numbers and the references are never contacted by NCEES

2. you provide names and license numbers and they somehow contact the references to make sure they are legit

3. you have to get the references themselves to fill out forms and send them in to NCEES (like i had to do for the PE exam)

my second question is this... is the references thing a one-time deal... like once you are accepted to the records program they never need anything else from you regarding references?
Option #3. And unlike when I applied to sit for the exam, the NCEES does not send the reference forms out for you...they send you a link to all of the pdf files, and you have to distribute them yourself. It's a real PITA.

There is a $25 maintenance fee that involves updating your references, but I don't know if that involves sending out all the forms again, or just adding new employment/education stuff as you progress in your career.

Option #3. And unlike when I applied to sit for the exam, the NCEES does not send the reference forms out for you...they send you a link to all of the pdf files, and you have to distribute them yourself. It's a real PITA.
There is a $25 maintenance fee that involves updating your references, but I don't know if that involves sending out all the forms again, or just adding new employment/education stuff as you progress in your career.
this sucks. i'm not going to do this program. i'm sick of bugging present and former co-workers for favors. the one state that i was initially interested in, pennsylvania, only requires you to LIST the references on their application anyway... seems like less of a pain in the ass than this NCEES deal.

this sucks. i'm not going to do this program. i'm sick of bugging present and former co-workers for favors. the one state that i was initially interested in, pennsylvania, only requires you to LIST the references on their application anyway... seems like less of a pain in the ass than this NCEES deal.
NCEES has turned into a huge pain for me. One of my past employers has not sent in the form, despite multiple calls from me. We have a good relationship and each time he apologizes and says he will send it. But it never gets done. So I had to write a letter to NCEES requesting a waiver from this verification (it was 17 years ago and not engineering-related work). Now my appliction is complete, and "under review" according to the website, but who knows whether NCEES will approve me after all this work and expense.

Now you've got me wondering (and worried!). The website now reads

Record renewal notification and information will be e-mailed to you once every year, beginning 1 year after your Record is first established:
•Engineers & Land Surveyors

* Annual Renewal Fee: $25

* Once we receive and process your renewal, we will send you an updated wallet card.

* Reinstating and reactivating an inactive Record is $25 per year of inactivity, not to exceed $125.

* Reference Update form(s): Distribute to your reference. He/she must complete the form and send it directly to NCEES.

* Employment Update form: Distribute to your employer. He/she must complete the form and send directly to NCEES. You are only required to submit an engineering/surveying employment update form if you have changed employments.
I'll be calling them first thing this morning! If I have to get each of my references to submit an "update form" to NCEES every year, this is a HUGE WASTE OF TIME (and a waste of my money!). The reason I am establishing a record is to avoid the need to track down references in the future (it was hard enough to do it now).

If anyone has a Record and can clarify this requirement, it'd be greatly appreciated.

NCEES has turned into a huge pain for me. One of my past employers has not sent in the form, despite multiple calls from me. We have a good relationship and each time he apologizes and says he will send it. But it never gets done. So I had to write a letter to NCEES requesting a waiver from this verification (it was 17 years ago and not engineering-related work). Now my appliction is complete, and "under review" according to the website, but who knows whether NCEES will approve me after all this work and expense.
Yup... you only have one year to complete the application or it gets DESTROYED. I've got one more work experience to get which is odd because she did a reference and another work experience but somehow this one is missing from NCEES. Nor do I understand why you have to have experience documented (verified) for non-engineering work as required by

You must provide complete information on all of your employment experience. Accuracy in regard to dates and the type of work performed is very important because each employer will be contacted for confirmation to establish the experience record. Employment with organizations that are not engineering or surveying firms and employment not directly related to engineering work MUST be included in order to leave no gaps in the complete chronological listing. List and explain periods of unemployment or other gaps rather than leaving a period of time without explanation.
but I don't have any non-engineering work, so I'm just assuming you have to submit the same form for verification, which implies it needs to be filled out by a licensed engineer. Is that right?

but I don't have any non-engineering work, so I'm just assuming you have to submit the same form for verification, which implies it needs to be filled out by a licensed engineer. Is that right?
Experience records do not have to be filled out by PEs...just some sort of supervisor. But all of your 5 references for the Record have to be PEs, which differs from the KY forms where only 3/5 references had to be PEs.

Experience records do not have to be filled out by PEs...just some sort of supervisor. But all of your 5 references for the Record have to be PEs, which differs from the KY forms where only 3/5 references had to be PEs.
The form requires the Respondent to fill out

Code:
Name of Respondent
Current Mailing Address
Position in Firm Area of Practice
Respondent’s licensing jurisdiction for time period verified 
Lic. No.

I just assumed that meant you needed a licensed engineer as the supervisor (at least for Engineering-related experience).

The form requires the Respondent to fill out

Code:
Name of Respondent
Current Mailing Address
Position in Firm Area of Practice
Respondent’s licensing jurisdiction for time period verified 
Lic. No.

I just assumed that meant you needed a licensed engineer as the supervisor (at least for Engineering-related experience).
It's not required, but if they are a PE, they have to provide that information.

OK... here's the answer to my own question.

For annual renewals, you need to

1) Update the employment reference (you extend the date of employment if you haven't changed jobs or your employer submits an entirely new employment reference if you have changed jobs), and

2) Submit a reference update, which is really just another reference, which can be *ANYONE* (except the prohibited family member) in the world so long as they are licensed. Of course, you could always use one of the five you already submitted with the original record application.

This isn't as big a deal as I feared because 1) is easy and 2) can be done by anyone (hey, even someone here on EB if you trusted them enough to recommend "yes" and not rate you as "poor").

I'm also told that once all the application information is received, it takes about two or three weeks to complete the review. If all is well, you'll get an e-mail.

So... bottom line: I still think this is a good idea for anyone that thinks they might change states.

Back