NCEES Record - Work Experience (working with MEPF firms) as an Electrical Engineer

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BebeshKing PE

THIS IS THE WAY
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Could someone help me start  how to write a detailed work experience in the NCEES record or maybe some template I could go by? I appreciate your help.

Hi everyone. Could someone help me start  how to write a detailed work experience in the NCEES record or maybe some template I could go by? I appreciate your help.
My suggestion is pick a few projects and write about them.

For example, I worked at my one firm for the entire time before my PE. I chose a project I worked on when I was a newbie engineer, a project I'd worked on a couple years ago, and then a project I'd recently completed. I explained everything I was responsible for on each project, which showed progressive experience. I got my experience approved in the first pass, so I'd be happy to look at yours if you'd like me to, once you write it up. 

I sent you a PM with the work experience sheets I just created for New York State (removing personal details and project names). But just like MP said, I took a number of projects and gave a little blurb about each project with any specific details of complex deigns such as critical UPS systems, kitchens, etc. I think the NCEES record only requires at least 5. For New York state, I had to document at least 4 years worth of projects.

For example, I worked at my one firm for the entire time before my PE. I chose a project I worked on when I was a newbie engineer, a project I'd worked on a couple years ago, and then a project I'd recently completed. I explained everything I was responsible for on each project, which showed progressive experience. I got my experience approved in the first pass, so I'd be happy to look at yours if you'd like me to, once you write it up. 
Thank you I sent you a PM.

Hi all,

So I am a bit of a newb here, even though I just passed the PE exam (and that was only recent too). What exactly is the NCEES record for? Is it required for anything specific (in NY state, at least)?

When I did my application for the PE exam, I just put my work experience details on the Form 4A paperwork...

Thanks for any input on what the NCEES record is for!

Hi all,

So I am a bit of a newb here, even though I just passed the PE exam (and that was only recent too). What exactly is the NCEES record for? Is it required for anything specific (in NY state, at least)?

When I did my application for the PE exam, I just put my work experience details on the Form 4A paperwork...

multi-state licensure

Hi all,

The NCEES record is similar to the application paperwork you submitted to New York state that includes your personal information, education records (requiring transcripts sent to NCEES), and work experience with professional references. There are some states that accept the NCEES record as an alternate application document, which has grown a bit in the last year due to the pandemic. New York is one of a few states that recently started accepting the NCEES record for application (along with their form 1) along with Washington, Indiana, and Minnesota.

But as Lycee said, it is a good central record for comity application to multiple states if allowed by the states you are interested in. You should follow up directly with any state board you are looking for license in to see if they will accept it or if you will need to follow their standard application process.

The NCEES record is similar to the application paperwork you submitted to New York state that includes your personal information, education records (requiring transcripts sent to NCEES), and work experience with professional references. There are some states that accept the NCEES record as an alternate application document, which has grown a bit in the last year due to the pandemic. New York is one of a few states that recently started accepting the NCEES record for application (along with their form 1) along with Washington, Indiana, and Minnesota.

But as Lycee said, it is a good central record for comity application to multiple states if allowed by the states you are interested in. You should follow up directly with any state board you are looking for license in to see if they will accept it or if you will need to follow their standard application process.
I'm just curious. I completed my NCEES record and already have PE license here in Florida.
But since I have work experience only here in Florida, and I want to have a License there in New York, will they still accept my experience?
What are the other things I should know if I want to be license in New York? Will my Professional References should be the people who works in New York too?

I'm just curious. I completed my NCEES record and already have PE license here in Florida.
But since I have work experience only here in Florida, and I want to have a License there in New York, will they still accept my experience?
Yes.

What are the other things I should know if I want to be license in New York?
Check their website, or ask @Dothracki PE or @JayKay PE very nicely.

Will my Professional References should be the people who works in New York too?
No, your references are fine as is.

Not neccessarily. NYS is notoriously difficult for licensing. Just because FL has accepted it, does not mean that NYS will. I had a coworker get denied because they were not descriptive enough for NYS's taste (and they were licensed in at least one other state at the time of their application).

A former manager let their NY PE lapse accidentally and it was not a good time for them to get it restored.

So beware.

What are the other things I should know if I want to be license in New York? Will my Professional References should be the people who works in New York too?
That I don't know about. If you are going the full NY application path, your references should be people who are most familiar with your work experience. If you have all four years of your experience you are documenting in Florida working with a PE and/or an engineering supervisor then that is who you should have as a reference.

I don't have any experience with the NY application via NCEES record, but that might be the better route if you already have that completed.

Here is what they say on the website about comity applications.

1613148257481.png

I sent you a PM with the work experience sheets I just created for New York State (removing personal details and project names). But just like MP said, I took a number of projects and gave a little blurb about each project with any specific details of complex deigns such as critical UPS systems, kitchens, etc. I think the NCEES record only requires at least 5. For New York state, I had to document at least 4 years worth of projects.
Hello Dothracki PE. I pass me PE Electrical (Power Options) test. I am currently left with Experience record to fill. can you send me your experience record template? i am currently working as electrical engineer in MEP consulting firm. thanks

Hi Dothracki PE. I got my work experience knocked back upon review. can you please share your experience record template?
I really appreciate your help on this!

Hey Madam Pirate PE. I am in the process of documenting my NCEES PE Electrical Experience Record. is it possible to document 11 pages per position for NCEES Experience record? I only work for one position in a design firm

Hey Madam Pirate PE. I am in the process of documenting my NCEES PE Electrical Experience Record. is it possible to document 11 pages per position for NCEES Experience record? I only work for one position in a design firm
Hi! The box for experience on the NCEES website limits you to 750 words. So I don't think you need 11 pages per position! I'd aim for 150 - 200 words per project, making sure you are showing progressive responsibility.

Back