Movie thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally paid to watch 1917 this past weekend. Excellent war film. Exactly what I picture WWI to have been like, from the rotting body parts in the mud of no man's land, to the otherwordly devastation of the town areas.

We also paid to watch Raya and the Last Dragon this weekend. My wife and kids thought it was great. I thought it was "meh". Typical Disney princess formula movie. Exact ratios of cuteness to pre-teen snark. Ugh.

I am going to go to a real movie theater for the first time since March 15, 2020. I have managed to get my entire family vaccinated and my 17 y.o. son hits his 14th day post-Pfizer today, so we agreed we'd go see a movie tomorrow night. Covid cases are very low where we are right now, so the risk is low enough that we're ready to give it a shot. All the movies seem to suck right now and we'll probably either see the Croods 2 or King Kong vs. Godzilla, but that's not important. What's important is being in the theater and having $6 sodas and popcorn again.

King Kong vs Godzilla was okay, exactly what you would expect from the title. I got the feeling that I had missed several prequels, but I also got the impression that that was because of shitty writing, not that I had missed anything. But seeing King Kong wake up and scratch his ass made it almost worthwhile.

In terms of safety, my son and I were the only people in the theater so absolutely no concerns at all, except for the viability of the theater.

Sooo, “Tomorrow War” the other day. It’s on Amazon Prime, so fortunately it was free. Lots of explosions and shooting and stuff, but also a lot of stuff that doesn’t make much sense. It was kind of like someone watched a bunch of sci-fi movies and thought it would be a good idea to take a mishmash of all the good bits and jamb them together.

Not a movie, but started watching "Explained" on Netflix last night. It seems to be put together very well, lots of in-depth topics, short and to the point. Highly recommend to other engineers.

The family watched the new Pixar movie "Luca" on Disney + yesterday. One of Pixar's simplest stories, but well put together and enjoyable. It's no Ratatouille, though.

The new SJ movie was just weird timing. The original came out in peak basketball/Jordan era, when the "Dream Team" was still huge, etc. But in 2021? Why?
Just sick of rehashes of movies in general. They're now doing a Ghostbusters movie starring a bunch of kids, a Candyman remake, etc. Y'all had all of COVID to think of something new, and this is the best you could muster?

I do want to see A Quiet Place 2, though.

We went to see Black Widow the other day at the theater. We have low transmission rates and high vaccination rates locally, so it was probably safe, but the theater was packed and it really felt odd to me.... I think we will return to our plan of seeing movies on Tuesday or Wednesday nights, instead of Saturday evening...

At any rate, the movie was solidly entertaining, typical MARVEL fare. We need to catch up on their Disney + shows now.

Not a new movie by any means, but we watched “Boogie Nights” on Netflix last night. I had never seen it before, though Mr. Leggo had. Very good, but pretty intense to watch and then go to bed shortly afterwards for me.

On a different note, has anyone seen the new Marvel movie, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings?

On a different note, has anyone seen the new Marvel movie, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings?
I haven't, but it did seem like one of the few Marvel movies I'd be interesting in watching from the one preview I saw.

Back