Mom Jailed For Sending Kids to Better School- ABC News 3:42

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MA_PE

engine near
Reaction score
So what do you think?

mom-jailed-for-sending-kids-to-better-school

Note at the end of the story, they said that they "caught" ~10 other people doing this. 7 pled guilty and 3 agreed to stay in the school and pay the back tuition/taxes. This person is the only one who opted to fight the City and ended up going to jail (for 10 days).

Personally, I'm tired of people doing whatever they want with the attitude of "What are they going to do?...Put me in jail?" and then when they are actually put in jail, start whining about it.

If she felt that stringly she should have played by the rules and moved the kids in with her father, so that they lived in the district. Instead she trying to set a precedent that is not functionally possible. Why does she deserve an exception?

Last edited by a moderator:
the video isnt on there anymore so I'm just speculating to the content that its a woman who faked an address to get her kids in a better school?

I think its kind of ridiculous that the Supreme Court says that the US taxpayers have to fund the education of children who are here in this county illegally who are basically doing the same thing, and unfortunatly no one is taking there mommas to jail...

In the Great State of Georgia if your kids school doesnt meet some sort of state testing requirement than you can send your kid(s) to any other school in the County. but on your transportation nickle..

For the record Im for putting all the crazy bitches in jail anyways...

I live in an "open enrollment" county which means i can send my kids to whatever school in the county i want to. I just have to submit the paperwork the January prior to the next year (the deadline for the 2011-2012 school year was last week). Only stipulation is that the school i want to transfer them to has to have the space for them (they wont adjust staffing to allow more kids at one school due to transfers from another).

Of course this means that transportation to the new school is on the parents' dime.

My town had two public high schools - the one that was 85% minority (mine), and the one that had about 25 minorities in a school of about 1500. The second school was mostly the upper class white kids, but they would give "waivers" to the talented black athletes from the neighboring shit hole (Bridgeport), so that they'd have a good basketball team.

They stopped the "waivers" for school zoning after the upper class white kids from down the road could no longer get into the predominantly white school, because they had no room. A few affirmative action suits against the town, and all of a sudden, the racial balance of the two schools evened out dramatically.

The important part of the story, is that my high school won their first ever state basketball title after they stopped the "waivers."

the video isnt on there anymore so I'm just speculating to the content that its a woman who faked an address to get her kids in a better school?
I think its kind of ridiculous that the Supreme Court says that the US taxpayers have to fund the education of children who are here in this county illegally who are basically doing the same thing, and unfortunatly no one is taking there mommas to jail...

In the Great State of Georgia if your kids school doesnt meet some sort of state testing requirement than you can send your kid(s) to any other school in the County. but on your transportation nickle..

For the record Im for putting all the crazy bitches in jail anyways...
RG: funny...I just tried the link and it worked. Anyway, yes she listed the family home address as that of her father's place because the school system was better. The school system actually hired a PI to follow her and document that the address was a fake. When confronted she tried to fight it because she did it for her kids benefit. They said the kids could stay there but she had to pay the tuition. That didn't fly with her either.

Because of 'extnded families' that's a fairly common practice around here. And it is illegal to actually question if the auntie or grams is actually a blood relative. Apparently to do so is racist, no lie.

Note at the end of the story, they said that they "caught" ~10 other people doing this. 7 pled guilty and 3 agreed to stay in the school and pay the back tuition/taxes.
Actually, it says they caught ~100 other people doing this, and only 3 agreed to pay the tuition to keep their kids in school. It doesn't really say what the others had to do/pay as a result of their guilty pleas.

The most asinine part of the story is that the lady is a teacher's assistant right now, and 12 credit hours away from getting her teaching license. Now she has a nice little felony conviction on her record that could blackball her from ever being a teacher and could get her fired from her current job. I guess she did that "for the kids" too.

You know, she said she did all of this because her house got broken into and the school in her neighborhood, and the neighborhood itself, was not a safe environment for her kids. If that's the case, why didn't she move? She appeared to have a fairly nice house in the bad neighborhood. For the rent she paid for that house, or the mortgage payment on it, she probably could have rented a smaller, but still livable, house/apartment in the correct school district so that her kids could legally go to the better school. That would solve the school problem AND the theft/unsafe neighborhood problem which would be a much better situation for her kids.

Because of 'extnded families' that's a fairly common practice around here. And it is illegal to actually question if the auntie or grams is actually a blood relative. Apparently to do so is racist, no lie.

That is one thing I like about news in the Detroit media market: the conflicting people in Detroit and surrounding Wayne County are almost always the same race so it's very rare for the race card to be played.

Detroit has had their mayor, his chief of staff and a city council member jailed in the past few years. But the county prosecutor and everybody are the same race so it's cool.

Note at the end of the story, they said that they "caught" ~10 other people doing this. 7 pled guilty and 3 agreed to stay in the school and pay the back tuition/taxes.
Actually, it says they caught ~100 other people doing this, and only 3 agreed to pay the tuition to keep their kids in school. It doesn't really say what the others had to do/pay as a result of their guilty pleas.

The most asinine part of the story is that the lady is a teacher's assistant right now, and 12 credit hours away from getting her teaching license. Now she has a nice little felony conviction on her record that could blackball her from ever being a teacher and could get her fired from her current job. I guess she did that "for the kids" too.

You know, she said she did all of this because her house got broken into and the school in her neighborhood, and the neighborhood itself, was not a safe environment for her kids. If that's the case, why didn't she move? She appeared to have a fairly nice house in the bad neighborhood. For the rent she paid for that house, or the mortgage payment on it, she probably could have rented a smaller, but still livable, house/apartment in the correct school district so that her kids could legally go to the better school. That would solve the school problem AND the theft/unsafe neighborhood problem which would be a much better situation for her kids.
It sounded like the grandparents that the kids stay with a lot are in the better school district. The single mom may just want a place of her own while going to college. Some judges and DA's need to be sent to the corporate prisons they send many of their victims to for ethical reasons. Just because something is legal for them to do doesn't mean it is ethical or right. I hope this lady gets her record cleared on appeal, and now the kids should be living with the grandparents in the better school district while she does her jail time which is ironic. Why is the school board wasting $$$ on PI's anyways? Are they too getting kickbacks from attorneys and corporate prison owners?

It sounded like the grandparents that the kids stay with a lot are in the better school district. The single mom may just want a place of her own while going to college. Some judges and DA's need to be sent to the corporate prisons they send many of their victims to for ethical reasons. Just because something is legal for them to do doesn't mean it is ethical or right. I hope this lady gets her record cleared on appeal, and now the kids should be living with the grandparents in the better school district while she does her jail time which is ironic. Why is the school board wasting $$$ on PI's anyways? Are they too getting kickbacks from attorneys and corporate prison owners?
It's all a precedent these days. If they ket this woman get away with it why not just permit open enrollment for all kids to go to whatever school their guardian thinks is best? regardless of who pays what taxes or lives where.

Why is the school board wasting $$$ on PI's anyways? Are they too getting kickbacks from attorneys and corporate prison owners?
I would assume the schools are spending this money because their enrollment numbers and budget arent adding up. Remember that a school's funding is based on enrollment and the population within the district, so basically one school is getting the funding while another one is doing the work.

Compared to what this lady did who will have a conviction on her record, the Wall Street bankers committed much greater fraud and impoverished millions, yet they get not only no convictions but bail-outs and record bonuses. That's the real crime in America. Hang the bankers!

Compared to what this lady did who will have a conviction on her record, the Wall Street bankers committed much greater fraud and impoverished millions, yet they get not only no convictions but bail-outs and record bonuses. That's the real crime in America. Hang the bankers!
Start your own thread about the bankers. This is about a woman who took a risk and is paying the penalty. No sympathy from this EB'er. None.

What the lady did is definitely wrong. However, a case some 15 years ago in Ohio declared the way the schools are funded is unconstitutional. We pay property taxes to the local school district which funds our own local schools. If you want good schools you pay out the nose in property taxes to the tune of hundreds of dollars a month. This provides wonderful schools in affluent neighborhoods. Now you go to a place like Southeast Ohio and there is no money, the schools are falling apart, they can't afford to hire good teachers, etc. I believe the lady is wrong, but the state government has sat on this problem for years without addressing it because of how highly charged it is to address. That is wrong.

What the lady did is definitely wrong. However, a case some 15 years ago in Ohio declared the way the schools are funded is unconstitutional. We pay property taxes to the local school district which funds our own local schools. If you want good schools you pay out the nose in property taxes to the tune of hundreds of dollars a month. This provides wonderful schools in affluent neighborhoods. Now you go to a place like Southeast Ohio and there is no money, the schools are falling apart, they can't afford to hire good teachers, etc. I believe the lady is wrong, but the state government has sat on this problem for years without addressing it because of how highly charged it is to address. That is wrong.
The quality of the school is directly proportional to the level of effort that its constituents put into it. Funding aside, some of the primary reasons that the "affluent" schools are better is because the people of the community take an interest in the school, it's facilities, grounds, and most importantly in the education their kids are getting. The less "affluent" areas leave all of the responsibility to the local government and blame society if their kids don't get a good education. These are the same parents that give excuses that they can't "control" their kids as the kids skip school, sass the teachers, and continually try to subvert any and all authority and discipline.

We continue to pass laws that all children must be educated and if the kids aren't then the "system" has failed. Maybe the parents should assume some of the responsibility and show some respect for the laws rather than try to subvert the laws and continue to blame "the man".

IMO there is no one single cause for the state of these schools. It's definitely not all finances. On a $/student basis, some of the most expensive schools have some of the worst records. My take on the funding problem is that you are stuck paying for the local school system whether you actually like and or use it. It makes moving your kid to a different school difficult. I know I've said it before but at the risk of being a broken record:

I just love paying for two educations for my kid, the one I get charged for through my property taxes and the one I'm actually providing for him since I think the first one sucks.[/sarcasm]

IMO there is no one single cause for the state of these schools. It's definitely not all finances. On a $/student basis, some of the most expensive schools have some of the worst records. My take on the funding problem is that you are stuck paying for the local school system whether you actually like and or use it. It makes moving your kid to a different school difficult. I know I've said it before but at the risk of being a broken record:
I just love paying for two educations for my kid, the one I get charged for through my property taxes and the one I'm actually providing for him since I think the first one sucks.[/sarcasm]
We're actually moving to an area where the schools are top-notch, and we're paying for it with the price of the house. We can have the exact same house by the exact same builder for up to 15% cheaper in another neighborhood, but the schools that service that neighborhood are not so good.

Ironically, the property taxes are lower for the house with the better school, and both neighborhoods are in the same school district.

I completely agree about some of the worse schools being directly related to lack of parental/ community involvement. However, it's easier to get a community to rally around a school that doesn't look like it's going to fall over in a stiff breeze. Facilities need to be more evenly constructed. With similar facilities, I will still guarantee that schools in less affluent areas will likely still have lower ratings because of the other factors that you list.

Back