Mock exam fail

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh#5674

Reaction score
Hi all,

I want to thank you in advance for your help.

Just took my first fe civil mock exam (ncees practice exam) after two months of prep. Pretty down after seeing scores, but definitely motivated to refresh and schedule my exam in two weeks so I can ride my current wave, hope I can ramp up my prep and give my best. Is this a good strategy?

If so, please recommend a revision strategy for these final two weeks.

Hi all,

I want to thank you in advance for your help.

Just took my first fe civil mock exam (ncees practice exam) after two months of prep. Pretty down after seeing scores, but definitely motivated to refresh and schedule my exam in two weeks so I can ride my current wave, hope I can ramp up my prep and give my best. Is this a good strategy?

If so, please recommend a revision strategy for these final two weeks.
don't get discouraged. 

what was your strategy on testing this round? front to back? have you tried the 3 pass strategy? go through and do all your gimme problems, then a pass with ones you're familiar with that need a bit of calculation, and then a final pass for the unknowns. 

don't get discouraged. 

what was your strategy on testing this round? front to back? have you tried the 3 pass strategy? go through and do all your gimme problems, then a pass with ones you're familiar with that need a bit of calculation, and then a final pass for the unknowns. 
Thanks for that advice, I appreciate that!

I was very comfortable time wise, finished my exam in 3 hr 30 mins, just not familiar with the problems I couldn't attend, so did not waste much time there. Few things I realized:

1. The material I had been studying off was Lindeburg's practice problems, so concepts I was focusing were slightly different.

2. I did not take any online course, so my prep was completely independent of direct coaching (not entirely sure if that's the best route to go)

3. Feel like I made a lot of silly mistakes that I had attended 79/100. (Got 50 right).

Do you think I should schedule my exam in two weeks and work towards that goal or maybe push it further for a longer prep duration?

it depends how you're feeling. 50/80 isn't terrible. maybe push it a couple more weeks? take another practice exam in 2 weeks and the real one 2 weeks after? 

unless you have no work or school, then maybe 2 weeks is sufficient!

I would say just go fir it in 2 weeks.I'd practice with the manual.  Use any extra time you have left to search keywords in the online reference on questions you really don't know.  Civil should be pretty plug and chug, really, for the FE.

it depends how you're feeling. 50/80 isn't terrible. maybe push it a couple more weeks? take another practice exam in 2 weeks and the real one 2 weeks after? 
You make good points there. Since, I'm working, I can only contribute evenings and entire weekends to prep. Do we have other sources for practice exams other than the NCEES practice exam?

I would say just go fir it in 2 weeks.I'd practice with the manual.  Use any extra time you have left to search keywords in the online reference on questions you really don't know.  Civil should be pretty plug and chug, really, for the FE.
Thanks sir! When you say online reference, do you mean the digital copy of the latest handbook?

Thanks sir! When you say online reference, do you mean the digital copy of the latest handbook?
Yes, that is what you will be provided in the exam, so I would review the civil sections in that.  I don't know what the problem type breakdown is for the FE, but check those areas and make sure you have your bases covered.

I have no idea about practice exams, I didn't do any for my FE, but I did a review class for my second attempt. (I pretty much did not study for the first attempt - I was still in school.)

Back