• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to EngineerBoards and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

ME PE Study Book Advice Needed

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaintsFan1971

Reaction score
Hi all -

Can you folks please give me some advice about which books would be best for a first time mechanical PE taker?

1) I read a review on Amazon stating that the 12th edition of the MERM is the same as the 11th except that it does not have the problems included. Is that correct?

2) I also read the FE Review book is exactly the same as the MERM. Is that correct?

3) I understand you get to choose a discipline for the afternoon portion of the exam. I was considering getting the 6 minute books to study from......Would there be a need to buy each of the 6 minute books or only get the one that matches the afternoon subject I choose?

I had another post indicating I wanted to but some PE books, but it seems there are not many Mechanical PE Exam books for sale. If you have any please let me know.

Thanks for your time,

Charles

:unitedstates:

Hi all -
Can you folks please give me some advice about which books would be best for a first time mechanical PE taker?

1) I read a review on Amazon stating that the 12th edition of the MERM is the same as the 11th except that it does not have the problems included. Is that correct?

2) I also read the FE Review book is exactly the same as the MERM. Is that correct?

3) I understand you get to choose a discipline for the afternoon portion of the exam. I was considering getting the 6 minute books to study from......Would there be a need to buy each of the 6 minute books or only get the one that matches the afternoon subject I choose?

I had another post indicating I wanted to but some PE books, but it seems there are not many Mechanical PE Exam books for sale. If you have any please let me know.

Thanks for your time,

Charles

:unitedstates:

Hello Charles,

1) There is a practice problem book that you have to purchase separate for the 12th addition. I'm not sure about what all is included with the 11th addition, but I think you have to purchase a solutions book for the questions...I could be wrong.

2)There is a lot more information that is going to help you out for the exam with the MERM rather then the FE review manual. The MERM is geared to be a one stop shop for you during the exam because its loaded with charts and graphs that you will need to reference.

3)I've seen that some people have purchased all three of the 6 min solutions books just to get more practice problems. I personally just purchased the Therm/Fluids one and found it helpful with my studying for the afternoon session.

It all comes down to how many practice problems you would like to have access to. Doing as many practice problems as you can helps you build the speed that you need to conquer the exam.

Hope this helps.

Ben

Thanks Ben. I am trying to get my hands on some of the prep material now to start cranking away with problems. I cannot afford to buy them new especially with kids Christmas gifts right now, so if you know of any for sale please pass it along.

Sincere thanks,

Charles

Definitely get the latest edition of the MERM. For everything else, see the reference material roundup thread on the Mech E subforum.

Definitely get the latest edition of the MERM. For everything else, see the reference material roundup thread on the Mech E subforum.

Thanks for the info navyasw02. I will check out that other section.

For the sake of finances, I was considering the earlier MERM edition. However, I do not want to sacrifice the likelihood of passing either.

Have you found the latest edition of the MERM to be more geared toward the current test topics and material than say the 11th edition? I was just wondering why you felt the latest edition is definitely better than an earlier edition. Please don't think I am doubting you judgement....

Thanks again,

Charles

For the sake of finances, I was considering the earlier MERM edition. However, I do not want to sacrifice the likelihood of passing either.

Have you found the latest edition of the MERM to be more geared toward the current test topics and material than say the 11th edition? I was just wondering why you felt the latest edition is definitely better than an earlier edition. Please don't think I am doubting you judgement....

Thanks again,

Charles
It's been a long time since I looked at the 11th edition, one of my profs had it and I flipped through it. I can't give you a good answer about what the differences were. I was thinking about buying an older edition to save money, but I bought the newest because A) I figured it was most up to date and error corrected (still found an error though), B) I planned on keeping it as a useful reference in the future, and C) If I did decide to sell it, the newest version would be easy to sell for probably $30 off new price. All the other books and study references I bought used and cheap, but it all added up. Some stuff I was lucky enough to get from my school's intralibrary loan system.

Thanks again,

Charles
It's been a long time since I looked at the 11th edition, one of my profs had it and I flipped through it. I can't give you a good answer about what the differences were. I was thinking about buying an older edition to save money, but I bought the newest because A) I figured it was most up to date and error corrected (still found an error though), B) I planned on keeping it as a useful reference in the future, and C) If I did decide to sell it, the newest version would be easy to sell for probably $30 off new price. All the other books and study references I bought used and cheap, but it all added up. Some stuff I was lucky enough to get from my school's intralibrary loan system.
MERM 12th editon + practice problem book is better. I didn't go chapter by chapter and do the problems follow by every chapters at first place. I like to finish all fluid chapters and do the practice problems at once. (Same as other MD, HVAC, and other related chapters)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back