ME - Engineering Management

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grkpapa9

Reaction score
I just graduated with a BE EE and passed the FE. I currently work for a power utility and im thinking about continuing my education. This being said, I would rather get my masters in engineering management, since it will probably get me farther in the company. I read the BS + 30 thread and am wondering if anyone knows if a masters degree in engineering management will count. I am hoping to get my PE license before that comes in effect, but I just want to make sure. Thanks.

I don't think anyone really knows what will count. Each state has to make their own determination of whether they want to use the BS +30 hr recommendation. Just like some states don't require the continuing education requirements, there will probably be some that don't do the +30.

I have my MEM, and yes, I do believe it will meet the requirements of the BS+30. While I haven't really had a chance to use my MEM degree, I enjoyed the program a great deal and would recommend it to anyone.

Congratulations on your graduation and passing the FE exam! Getting a master's degree in engineering management sounds like a great choice. It can indeed help you progress in your career within the power utility company. As for the BS + 30 thread, I'm not sure about the specific requirements, but having a master's degree in engineering management should definitely count towards your professional development.

My opinion is to work 3-4 years and THEN go after the Engineering Management degree. You will better learn and understand the material as opposed to going directly from undergraduate classes. You have no experience, other than your undergraduate education to refer to as we teach the EM material. If you are out in the field for 3-4 years, the material will be much easier to learn and understand.

The downside to my suggestion is if you begin a family, the time away from the family can be an issue, especially if you have babies. I get that-- the other point is that if you are out 3-4 years, the hassle of going back to school is sometimes a challenge. There is no perfect answer.

Back