Material to bring to the test.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soma0013

Reaction score
Just finished go through the CERM and ordered some practice tests.

1. Watching videos every one says tab up the CERM, but all I ever notice is the chapters tabbed, advice? 

2. Also in these videos everyone brings 3 ring binders to the test what would be put in them for the AM breadth portion, just sample problems galore? What about the GEO depth portion, (havent started yet)

Thanks

By tabbing the CERM, I'd definitely tab within chapters, possibly things like sub-sections/sub-topics, design processes, important equations, etc. Whatever sticks out to you when you're doing practice problems. Label with simple notes that will immediately let you know what the tab is referring to.

Really, you can organize your materials however you like, in whatever way makes the most sense to you. This includes tabbing, but as for breaking up your materials between the morning and afternoon sections -- this could be advantageous because it's very likely that you won't need any of the practice problems that were applicable to breadth topics outside of your depth subject (like hydraulics or structural stuff, etc.) for your depth section.

It can also be easier to manage smaller binders, vs. one huge binder with ALL of your practice problems.

As for the contents of these binders? Surely, there are worked out practice problems in them. Other things people might include things like cheat sheets with common equations and design procedures, other resources printed from pdf (like useful tables or other design references), anything that you think might truly help in the exam.

However, I do caution against bringing along things you are not familiar with, because if you find yourself searching through a bunch of stuff you're not familiar with, you might also be wasting very valuable time that could be devoted to other problems that you're more likely to get right.

My CERM I tabbed at 5 chapter increments along the top, and relevant items specifically along the side, that way if I had to look something up, I could more quickly flip to the right chapter.

The binders I had practice problems, articles, class notes and slides.  I also tabbed books and the binders.  I did sort of separate morning from afternoon, but my morning had some structural stuff in it, the afternoons were more material specific, but I brought both to the whole day.

Back