Legos...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^ The only reason they say that is because they want to prevent their trademarked/licensed/restricted name from becoming a "common" name representing all building blocks regardless of manufacturer. They don't want the name Lego to become common like other brand names like Skil saws (circular saws) or Xerox (copy) machines. Once it becomes "common-use", they lose certain restrictions on the name which can impact revenues since generics would be able to label themselves as Lego makers.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ Makes sense. They are probably even more worried now that they have lost several of their patents for interlocking bricks. I have yet to see another manufacturer make them to the same quality Lego does though.

There are a ton of generics whose blocks are interchangeable with Legos. Probably why Lego has bascially stopped making the "buckets" and simply focused on kits.

well... I am not going to help them protect their brand so they can make more money, cause I don't care- they can eat corn and red velvet cake, they are legos in my head and that is what I will call them
I read somewhere that "corn and red velvet cake don't mix."

well... I am not going to help them protect their brand so they can make more money, cause I don't care- they can eat corn and red velvet cake, they are legos in my head and that is what I will call them
I read somewhere that "corn and red velvet cake don't mix."
You can mix them, but we will not be held liable for the consequences...

also a huge underground market

http://www.bricklink.com/

when we were ditching stuff to sell before the move I had an easy 60 lbs + of legos and we had the kids organize them into bags of say 50-Red 4 blocks, 50-white 6 blocks..

I bet we cleared over $350 bucks of what I would have thought was "a big pile of crap" and since I had child labor to do this, it was all gravy money (of course originall investment was probably at least 10 $100 kits over 1000 bucks over many years of xmas, and bday parties but they got good use and we got some money back which is more than you can say for most toys.. I got tired of sorting so we just listed the last 30 lbs on cragislist for $80 bucks and we had a gazillion peolple wanted them.. it was really weird..

My kids wouldnt let me sell the lego people so we kept all those but they go for some decent money.. we have a couple zip lock bags of them now, but at least the kids still use them

There is a whole secondary market for Lego people. I remember at least a couple different booths at Comiccon dedicated exclusively to Lego people (buy/sell/trade).

^^ Ha, yeah, they are like plastic gold. Last year, I sold a $150 set for $1200. With all the buying and selling, I'm down to about $1200 spent on all the sets I have. Here's my "bricklog":

post-13629-13864533448687_thumb.jpg
post-13629-13864533590203_thumb.jpg
post-13629-13864533715164_thumb.jpg

and a nice car shot :D

8188883879_984e17e106_z.jpg

Built this one with my son a while back:

91nEIEA9wCL._SL1500_.jpg

He has this one about half way done. Will probably finish it if we get a little time this week.

81Dj-5dgxkL._SL1500_.jpg

I've lost track of how many Star Wars kits he's built.

My daughter likes the logo chima sets. She also does lego friends from time to time. She's more into building her own things right now. She gets board with the directions.

minisnick isn't into lego bricks....he has a big o bag of mega blocks and he only plays with them when we ask him too. He prefers tinker toys and lincoln logs at the moment.

minisnick isn't into lego bricks....he has a big o bag of mega blocks and he only plays with them when we ask him too. He prefers tinker toys and lincoln logs at the moment.
That was me as a little one.

Mini Dex loves his Star Wars legos. He has most of the advanced kits. At one point he had them all built, but recently he's been experimenting with "mixing technologies", so his room now looks like a Star Wars parts store with wings, engines, cockpits, etc sorted out where he tries to combine ships into some rather interesting vehicles.

Last edited by a moderator:
thats what I liked about the lego movie so much, to me it was the people that like to build random stuff out of their legos versus the people that only like to build what the kits told them to build (Ive got one kid in each camp) so it ws a fun battle at our house..

You cant put the star wars man on the indiana jones pit of snakes? are you mad!

My son and his cousins just finished off a couple of weeks of building the Lego Movie sets and minifigures. They've been playing with them like crazy - doing exactly what the movie did, mixing up pieces with all thier older sets. Fun stuff to watch.

That was me as a little one.
Me too.

I had those big pine blocks that I loved. I need to get them back from my parents house, now that my neice and nephew are well over a decade past using them.

Back