Kids of EB

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the kiddos out Saturday afternoon playing on their scooters and roller skates. Well, the roller skates were more of an idea than a reality. After the first fall they were like no thanks,

tumblr_mbw3w74haM1qdug0jo1_400.jpg

oh yes. many times. Especially when my 4 yo's mouth turns from a sweet little angel into a 17 yo "see you next tuesday".

Went out skiing with MiniBuff #1. She is already tackling blacks and bumps. Starting to carve her turns nicely, too. I took her training wheels off her bike last spring...she rode away from me! I didn't have to run beside her or anything. I expect to have a skiing/biking buddy sooner rather than later, which I am ecstatic about. And MiniBuff #2 has about 40-50 words in her vocabulary, which ain't bad for an 18 month old. Super proud of my munchkins.

Have you ever just wanted to put your darling little angels through the MF'ing wall?

I lost my voice yesterday morning due to screaming at one of them. God I hope I didn't traumatize them. Thankfully my husband took them for the afternoon so I got to take a break and recompose.

When the GF screams, Junior tunes her out. When I scream, she goes into full on meltdown mode and panic sets in. Consequently, I try to scream very little, and "correct" her by asking questions which make her realize "oh ****, I screwed up" as she links them together in her brain. It seems to work better that way.

Have you ever just wanted to put your darling little angels through the MF'ing wall?

I lost my voice yesterday morning due to screaming at one of them. God I hope I didn't traumatize them. Thankfully my husband took them for the afternoon so I got to take a break and recompose.

And then after you're done with the screaming and fighting, they climb up on your lap to watch a movie, or hug your neck and tell you that they love you, and your heart melts.

Part of what I'm trying to get over with Junior right now is that her reading is dropping off. She can read more challenging words/books (they have reading "tiers" in her class, and she and one other student are on the highest tier), but now tries to read too quickly. So, she'll recognize a few characters from a word, assume its something she knows, say the wrong thing, and then blow past it. If I have her read it out loud, I have to correct her every few words it seems. Even the pointing to each word thing doesn't seem to work much anymore either, since she makes the same mistakes whether she's pointing or not.

When the GF screams, Junior tunes her out. When I scream, she goes into full on meltdown mode and panic sets in. Consequently, I try to scream very little, and "correct" her by asking questions which make her realize "oh ****, I screwed up" as she links them together in her brain. It seems to work better that way.

Totally the way to go and I needed that reminder. My dad was such a mellow dude that it scurred me straight the few times he lost it.

Don-t-yell-at-your-kids-710.jpg

I usually begin here. While I recognize that NJ #4 IS only 4, she clearly is showing the traits of her father, whom, as a child himself, would only learn by being yelled at. I do not like yelling at her, but there has times, and they are becoming more and more consistent, where she is defiant to any other level of discipline.

And then after you're done with the screaming and fighting, they climb up on your lap to watch a movie, or hug your neck and tell you that they love you, and your heart melts.
YES! this!

While I recognize that NJ #4 IS only 4, she clearly is showing the traits of her father, whom, as a child himself, would only learn by being yelled at. I do not like yelling at her, but there has times, and they are becoming more and more consistent, where she is defiant to any other level of discipline.

I think Mini YMZ pushes my buttons more because she's like I was, intelligent but scatterbrained and daydreamy. I hold grudges now as an adult but she is still, like Ble said, loving and forgiving of my worst faults. I don't want to ever cause her to lose that.

Minisnick will do this but the conversation is sometimes I love you and sometimes i don't....instead of the straight up I love you

Part of what I'm trying to get over with Junior right now is that her reading is dropping off. She can read more challenging words/books (they have reading "tiers" in her class, and she and one other student are on the highest tier), but now tries to read too quickly. So, she'll recognize a few characters from a word, assume its something she knows, say the wrong thing, and then blow past it. If I have her read it out loud, I have to correct her every few words it seems. Even the pointing to each word thing doesn't seem to work much anymore either, since she makes the same mistakes whether she's pointing or not.

FWIW, I went through a phase of that. I have a sneaking suspicion most kids do.

The literary equivalent of overdriving your headlights.

Minisnick will do this but the conversation is sometimes I love you and sometimes i don't....instead of the straight up I love you
One of our go-tos is "I love you, and always will, but I don't like the way your acting/what your saying right now"

Went out skiing with MiniBuff #1. She is already tackling blacks and bumps. Starting to carve her turns nicely, too. I took her training wheels off her bike last spring...she rode away from me! I didn't have to run beside her or anything. I expect to have a skiing/biking buddy sooner rather than later, which I am ecstatic about. And MiniBuff #2 has about 40-50 words in her vocabulary, which ain't bad for an 18 month old. Super proud of my munchkins.
Well I drive a fully loaded Oddyssey, but you don't hear me bragging.

But seriously that's awesome. It's so much fun when they can do stuff with you like that.

Back