Job Search Resources

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwin12

Reaction score
Are there Engineering specific options are out there for job searches? I have a solid LinkedIn page, Indeed seems to be the best search tool and I frequent companies websites that I know I am interested in. I'm not getting what I want from these resources.

Basically I know I want my next job to be a job that requires or prefers a PE in the construction or project management field. I also know I want it to be in the Northeast- Maine to PA.

For the companies you are interested in, try to contact someone in the department you'd like to be working in. Call or email to ask him/her if they can go to lunch. If the lunch goes well, they could push their HR to get you going in the hiring process.

Are you a member of any professional societies? I know from experience that professional societies often have job postings, as well.

USAJobs.gov if you want to go federal.

State jobs would be posted on each State's website.

Private jobs would probably be glassdoor or the company's website. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Are there Engineering specific options are out there for job searches? I have a solid LinkedIn page, Indeed seems to be the best search tool and I frequent companies websites that I know I am interested in. I'm not getting what I want from these resources.

Basically I know I want my next job to be a job that requires or prefers a PE in the construction or project management field. I also know I want it to be in the Northeast- Maine to PA.
PM inbound.

Has anyone ever had a firm let them work at home 3-4 days a week?  I’m starting to wonder if it’s really necessary to come into the office to make schematics and wiring diagrams. Also it doesn’t hurt to ask?  Some of the opportunities in my area are 1.5 hours away which is just too long to commute.

www.engineerjobs.com is another good link for potential opportunities. You can search by state and discipline.

Good job on resurrecting an old thread. I'm sure a few people will find this information useful during the current situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone ever had a firm let them work at home 3-4 days a week?  I’m starting to wonder if it’s really necessary to come into the office to make schematics and wiring diagrams. Also it doesn’t hurt to ask?  Some of the opportunities in my area are 1.5 hours away which is just too long to commute.
Lemme know if you find one. I agree, tho having access to a large scale printer is handy (for reviewing said schematics)

Hey @bwin12 any luck?
In December I took a construction claims consultant position. Absolutely love it, great mix of what I wanted from a job and my resume.  That role wasn't on my radar until a former co-worker called a current co-worker for a reference while concurrently a few other people were telling me I should look at the claims industry. Turns out, no websites were needed...

My wife and I went back and forth on if we should move back east for months. We decided to stay where we are, but we still think about it. Reality is, our individual parents are still 900 miles away from each other. We could in the middle, but are still 450 miles each way. Or we could live near one. We have a pretty good gig here with our house, kids school and each of our jobs so we decided flying 4/5 times per year is the best option. It sucks at times though. If our parents were closer to each other we would move, we've done our time doing our own thing out west. 

Back