Is the PMP worth it?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChebyshevII PE PMP

No longer dancing
Reaction score
Title says it all, but the question is mostly directed at people like me who have their PE and primarily do engineering work (though I appreciate all perspectives).

Title says it all, but the question is mostly directed at people like me who have their PE and primarily do engineering work (though I appreciate all perspectives).
Yes. You work shorter hours and make more money. I manage the people who manage the people who design our $1B portfolio and I currently don't have a PE. Soooo....

It's a good credential to have when you need to re-adjust your work-life balance. And it opens up a lot of doors for employment.

ETA: I've had my PMP for 6 years and I have made a lot of moves because of it. The MBA doesn't hurt either. But the PMP is a solid credential that helped me to move between the consultant-government space effortlessly.

My company likes our PMs to have PEs & PMPs.

I'm looking a PSM program that combines engineering and management

Some client companies are now expecting/demanding their Consultant Firms supply individuals with the PMP Certification. Hopefully your employer will pay for the cost of Certification.

Fees imposed by PMI (Project Management Institute) are high, PMI makes major revisions to their "Book Of Knowledge" regularly which makes old study guides quickly obsolete, they recently changed their Continuing Education requirements making it harder to obtain all necessary Credits for re-certification (you now need a specified minimum of credits in each of several areas of specialization).

The exam is far easier than the PE exams. I earned my PMP in 2017 at age of 61. I have been a PE since way back in 1983.
  1. Buy the current Rita book as a study guide, nearly 1000 pages.
  2. Read it cover-to-cover three times.
  3. Take the test.
Almost guaranteed to Pass.

Or you can accelerate the process slightly by reading the Rita book cover-to-cover twice, take all the end of Chapter Tests, and read only those Chapters a third time for which you scored less than 85% on the Chapter Test.

https://store.rmcproject.com/media/...exam_prep_10th_edition_cover_withbanner_1.jpg
pmp_exam_prep_10th_edition_cover_withbanner_1.jpg[endimg]

Back