Humor me

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plainjane

Reaction score
Hi all - I'm new here. I see a lot of the posts are from 2016-2017, but since I just got access, I have some catching up to do.

I work for my state DOT, and am in the process of getting my PE. I'm curious about the typical raises that other agencies give for having your license.

For us, we have steps that you can get to, starting with step 1. You can move to steps 2 and 3 through years of service, but can only reach step 4 with a license.

How similar is this to others?

If your state is anything like Federal, they don't care if you get your PE or not.  There are a few Federal jobs that will require a PE but not a lot.  I was actually between Gov't jobs at a private A/E when I passed the exam and they gave me a bonus, but if I had to guess, I wouldn't have gotten anything from Uncle Sam for it.

If your state is anything like Federal, they don't care if you get your PE or not.  There are a few Federal jobs that will require a PE but not a lot.  I was actually between Gov't jobs at a private A/E when I passed the exam and they gave me a bonus, but if I had to guess, I wouldn't have gotten anything from Uncle Sam for it.
For passing the PE, we don't necessarily get a bonus, but we do get a somewhat significant raise. It's not required by any means, but by not getting your license, you basically have no possibilities of moving up the ladder and will max out your pay at step 3.

Back