HP33S Calculator

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used HPs since 1985 starting with the HP-15c, up through the HP-48SX (the best ever). I bought the HP-33 and put it right back on ebay after 1 week of wasting time with it.

I'm a long time HP fan, but the HP-33 is not even a true HP, IT SUCKS! I wouldn't use it for a door stop. I wouldn't even use it throw at someone I hate. The only thing I would use it for is to throw at the idiot who designed it, who is someone I hate, so cancel the last statement.

I bought the Casio for the exam. I was nervous about not using RPN, but it was the best move I ever made. just give yourself plenty of time to adjust if you're a die hard RPN HP fan.

YES!!!!!!!
Maybe we could start a few studies... does forcing children to use RPN drive them towards or away from engineering or computer science? In a similar fashion, does forcing my son to play Counter Strike make him more likely to join the Army?

^I believe it's unethical to experiment on children in that fashion. (talking about RPN only)

^I believe it's unethical to experiment on children in that fashion. (talking about RPN only)
Well... it's not like I could use my dog!

Really, I should have had a few more kids... then I could do a more scientific study: HP, Casio, and TI.

I bought the HP35S instead. It's not too bad really, once you get used to it. I prefer my 48G by a longshot, but I'll get by with the 35S. I can't imagine going back away from RPN at this point. My wife (scientist) however, can't stand RPN and won't use my calculators....BONUS!!

:bananapowerslide:

As someone who had been schooled on HP. Having ruled out the 28s by NCEES I decide to go with the 33s for as you know Electrical uses complex notation alot. The calculator does perform this function but I do think it is bit tedious when doing a series of complex calculations. When my 33s crashed I got a 35s which I believe is much improvement over the 33s. I would recommend anyone considering of buying a 33s just check out the 35s before you make your purchase you wont be dissapointed I am sure. Propective EE PE takers check it out.

am I the only one here that actually LIKES the 33s? I really do. I have a 48gx, and HAD a 41cx, but sold that on ebay for more than I paid for it to begin with in 85. I actually carry the 48gx, and 33s to work with me every day, and the 33 get's used.

I do have to admit that I bought 3 hp33s calcs, and the last one had a MUCH better display and button feel than the first 2. I thought it was a great calculator for the PE exam, I learned quickly how to use the programming functions, and learned how to plug formulas into it and honestly I don't think I could have found a better calculator to use.

I haven't seen the 35s though, so I can't make a fair comparison, It probably is much better than the 33s, but if you have a later 33 I wouldn't worry, it got me by.

When using your HP 33 as a bottle opener, use the metal side up. Metal side down will open your calculator up like a tin can.

:Banane35:

am I the only one here that actually LIKES the 33s? I really do. I have a 48gx, and HAD a 41cx, but sold that on ebay for more than I paid for it to begin with in 85. I actually carry the 48gx, and 33s to work with me every day, and the 33 get's used.
I do have to admit that I bought 3 hp33s calcs, and the last one had a MUCH better display and button feel than the first 2. I thought it was a great calculator for the PE exam, I learned quickly how to use the programming functions, and learned how to plug formulas into it and honestly I don't think I could have found a better calculator to use.

I haven't seen the 35s though, so I can't make a fair comparison, It probably is much better than the 33s, but if you have a later 33 I wouldn't worry, it got me by.
NC Car guy or others,

Do you know how to turn off the comma on teh HP 33S

Thanks

buy a casio FX-115 - either model (MS or ES) is under $20 - its not too late - that is my advise to you
AMEN to that. I did it and worked out perfectly

The HP33S SUCKS....WHAT a MISTAKE. The HP33S was a TOTAL WASTE of money.
AMEN to that too. My cheap Casio FX-115ES worked perfectly for me. Now my High School daughter has the 33S. At least it was not a total waste. One more thing; I do not know about Civils, Mechs or Chemicals but if you are an EE you HAVE to go for the Casio. It is the best choice. Take my word on this one.

I was a diehard HP fan since engineering school. My professors had them and taught us that you must have one to be a true engineer. I used the HP48, 49, and then bought a 35 for the PE Exam. That thing was a piece of junk and I sold it on Ebay right away for a loss.

I picked up a Casio 115ES for $18 at Target and have never looked back. In fact I have retired my HP48 at work and I know own several Casio 115ES calculators. HP is not the quality it used to be and there are better calculators to be had for much less money. Hell you can buy 3 Casio's for cost of one HP 35 and its a better calculator IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
To remove the comma go to the mode button on the top of the calculator, use the arrows in the middle to select the mode and press enter.

I really like the HP33, I would rather have one of the more powerful hps but it works fine for me, I still have a 11c I use on my desk.

To remove the comma go to the mode button on the top of the calculator, use the arrows in the middle to select the mode and press enter.
I really like the HP33, I would rather have one of the more powerful hps but it works fine for me, I still have a 11c I use on my desk.

Thank you, Env. Engineer. I appreciate your quick response.

Now for the more difficult task. How do I take the roots for a quadratic equation?

Thank you

enter the number or have it in the display, enter the root and press Yx or root x

25 enter 3 Yx = 15,626

1000 enter 3 root x (may be a lower function) = 10

Back