Quantcast

How to use this software

Help Support Engineer Boards:

jean15paul_PE

FEA Wizard
Reaction score
How do we make a thread go back to the post that is first unread, once there are new posts in said thread?
This appears to be the default behavior. It's what's happening for me and I don't see any way to change it. (Not that I want to change it.)

jean15paul_PE

FEA Wizard
Reaction score
Also the site seems signifigantly faster than before.
My 2 cents:

Different aesthetics: meh. Just got to get used to it I guess. I do wish that the inline images were a little bigger on desktop.

Stuff loss during the conversion: Disappointing but not a huge deal. Stuff that I noticed is gone includes:
Animated gif profile images, but they can be re-uploaded.
Profile images in general, some of them got weird.
Previously followed content being gone is probably the biggest functional loss that I've noticed. But I've already rebuilt it in my watched threads (your milage may vary).
Having a library of uploaded attachments was useful if you often use the same gifs. Meh, just a different system to learn.
Some inline images seem to have disappeared, but others didn't. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Gains
For whatever it's worth. Watch threads and notification work much better in the new system in my opinion.

None of this is a deal breaker. Change is inevitable.
Also the site seems significantly faster than before. :)

But fewer options under "Advanced Search" :(

Finally more formatting options :D
edit: all my various colors got lost in my spoiler format... LOL

Last edited:

LyceeFruit PE

Woodchipped Voice of Reason
EB Supporter
Reaction score
At the top of each forum there is Mark Read. That is where individual forum controls are for marked read.

View attachment 20697
The issue is now I have to go into each forum to do this. I was able to stay on the main page previously and click the word bubble to mark the entire civil forum as read. But now,I have to go into the civil forum and then click that button.
What was done to you? You get new software, extra help almost daily and @Road Guy gets to enjoy the forum and you guys more. I Know if you have an engineering degree that this stuff should take you 1/2 the time of a non-engineer to adapt to and keep on going.
I despise change, it's why I work with utilities.

This layout is awful. I feel like I back in 2001 & on LiveJournal.
None of this is a deal breaker. Change is inevitable.
For you. But honestly, it is very close to being a dealbreaker for me.

snickerd3

Taking suggestions
Reaction score
I kept getting security errors throughout the day that prohibited me from logging in yesterday.

JayKay PE

Lower Intestine Aficionado
EB Supporter
Reaction score
A minimum of 3 hours from a landlocked body of wat
I despise change, it's why I work with utilities.
As do I. It's why I'm in government.

A big thing that's a little annoying (not a huge deal breaker), is that my icon has a weird speckled black/white background, but when I go to check/mod on my preferences, it shows as a normal white background.

Random annoyance: if you're on a page/in a thread and someone replies, the page doesn't let you know? This was something I really liked in our last version. Example: I was in the mafia thread last night, writing a reply, when someone else replied (but it wasn't shown). I didn't see this response until I had posted and the page refreshed. It's nice to have kind of a 'current' update on whatever thread you're in, since it sometimes changes what you might be posting.

Also...if I make an edit to my post, it doesn't say I made an edit (another thing that changed recently). Half the fun is seeing that someone edited/made a goof.

jean15paul_PE

FEA Wizard
Reaction score

A big thing that's a little annoying (not a huge deal breaker), is that my icon has a weird speckled black/white background, but when I go to check/mod on my preferences, it shows as a normal white background.

Have you tried re-uploading your avatar image? That fixed the non-moving gifs. I'm wondering if it will fix the background color issue.

JayKay PE

Lower Intestine Aficionado
EB Supporter
Reaction score
A minimum of 3 hours from a landlocked body of wat
Have you tried re-uploading your avatar image? That fixed the non-moving gifs. I'm wondering if it will fix the background color issue.
Oooo that seems to have worked. I literally saved my avatar directly from EB and reuploaded. Super weird, since I didn't change the pic in any way.

Angie

Showing Custom Title here
Staff member
Reaction score
Also the site seems signifigantly faster than before.

Also the site seems significantly faster than before. :)

But fewer options under "Advanced Search" :(

Finally more formatting options :D
edit: all my various colors got lost in my spoiler format... LOL

Did you see the other tabs? I missed them the first 10 or 12 times I used the search on this version of the software.

1610564739481.png

Angie

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you all a bunch of slow discharging capacitors or do are you a resistor with a high resistance to change?

But, my favorite term - do I need to get a toroid to cut the spurious noise in the system?
(I am not an engineer, but my son in law is a EE, and I grew up with ham radio and that electronics around me).

and @matt267 PE I'm really new here, only about 3rd or 4th day.

Angie

Staff member
Reaction score
It could be if you're being spurious in a thread.

envirotex

Veterans
Reaction score
This isn't actually the first (or second) time this board has been through a format change. It'll be fine. I'm glad @Road Guy doesn't have to string us along every where he goes anymore...

leggo PE

Straight Waffle-izer
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm still really missing the "go to next active thread" button that used to exist at the bottom of every thread, no matter the forum.

I'm not seeing a way to jump from one thread to the next without going back to the base forum. Can this be addressed, @Angie?

Angie

Staff member
Reaction score
I have passed your request along to see if it can be done.

Unintended Max P.E.

Max Collins of Unintended Consequences
Reaction score
What was done to you? You get new software, extra help almost daily and @Road Guy gets to enjoy the forum and you guys more. I Know if you have an engineering degree that this stuff should take you 1/2 the time of a non-engineer to adapt to and keep on going.
That's a humongous assumption. :)