Quantcast

How to use this software

Help Support Engineer Boards:

Angie

Showing Custom Title here
Staff member
Reaction score
I will be making this into a How - To thread before end of day. At this time please poke around. I'm sure with this group you'll probably have all the basic controls figured out in 10 minutes or less.

jean15paul_PE

FEA Wizard
Reaction score
Hi @Angie , Is this the right place to ask questions about the update? Should I wait until your "How To" update?

(I didn't wait :) )
The update looks cool. My only concern:
I used to "follow" threads that I wanted to keep up with. The follow function appears to be completely gone. There's now a "watch" function which I assume serves the same purpose. But none of the followed stuff transitions to watched. Is there any solution to this? Is it completely gone?

Tagging @Road Guy on general principal. :)

Angie

Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately due to the transfer from one type of software to something totally different the "follow" is lost. And watch is the new "follow". You can set it to get alerts (the little bell icon on the top right) or alerts plus email.

Angie

Staff member
Reaction score
At this time all forums are not read, so the first unread is not seeing anything already read. As you read posts, then go back it will take you to the first unread.

Angie

Staff member
Reaction score
Give it a try now. If it does not work, I'll have to check with the chief tech in the morning. But I think it will work now.

I see it's working.

mudpuppy

Charter Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to mark a single forum read? This used to be easy to do with Invision, but I can't find a way to do it here. I see the button at the top of the page, but a word of warning it marks all of the forums read, even if you're not on the main page.

LyceeFruit PE

Woodchipped Voice of Reason
EB Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a way to mark a single forum read? This used to be easy to do with Invision, but I can't find a way to do it here. I see the button at the top of the page, but a word of warning it marks all of the forums read, even if you're not on the main page.
I've been opening each subforum to do it. One would think the little word bubble on the left of each forum on the main page would do it tho.

Angie

Staff member
Reaction score
BUT WHY WAS THIS DONE TO US?!?!?!?!111?!?!

What was done to you? You get new software, extra help almost daily and @Road Guy gets to enjoy the forum and you guys more. I Know if you have an engineering degree that this stuff should take you 1/2 the time of a non-engineer to adapt to and keep on going.

Angie

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been opening each subforum to do it. One would think the little word bubble on the left of each forum on the main page would do it tho.

At the top of each forum there is Mark Read. That is where individual forum controls are for marked read.

1610470053401.png

leggo PE

Straight Waffle-izer
Staff member
Reaction score
There used to be a button that would jump to the first unread post in a thread. I can't seem to find that button now. Is it gone, or am I just missing it?
I don't see this button, either, even after having read some threads in any given sub-forum.

At this time all forums are not read, so the first unread is not seeing anything already read. As you read posts, then go back it will take you to the first unread.
I don't think this solved the issue, unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

How do we make a thread go back to the post that is first unread, once there are new posts in said thread?

Also, why am I still able to access the contents of threads that were supposedly deleted for containing private info?

Angie

Staff member
Reaction score
Please send me a private message about that deleted thread stuff and give an example so I can check your settings and that forum/deleted thread post.

mudpuppy

Charter Member
Reaction score
What was done to you? You get new software, extra help almost daily and @Road Guy gets to enjoy the forum and you guys more. I Know if you have an engineering degree that this stuff should take you 1/2 the time of a non-engineer to adapt to and keep on going.

Engineers don't like change, so thanks in advance for being patient with us as we grieve/adjust.

Angie

Staff member
Reaction score
I understand all of the feelings. I first met the new "owner" back in 2012 when the forum I was Admin and had been a member of for 10 years was sold to this little group. And they must not be so bad since I've stayed involved ever since.

But it does shake you up just a bit when the "home" looks different and the people are changed a bit. What was known is now changed. So, if you'll bear with me getting your home settled after the move, I'll bear with you telling me what needs to be tweaked and what I need to check on. The best thing I learned is that I need to stay in communication and listen to you. I know that was important to me way back then.

jean15paul_PE

FEA Wizard
Reaction score
My 2 cents:

Different aesthetics: meh. Just got to get used to it I guess. I do wish that the inline images were a little bigger on desktop.

Stuff loss during the conversion: Disappointing but not a huge deal. Stuff that I noticed is gone includes:
Animated gif profile images, but they can be re-uploaded.
Profile images in general, some of them got weird.
Previously followed content being gone is probably the biggest functional loss that I've noticed. But I've already rebuilt it in my watched threads (your milage may vary).
Having a library of uploaded attachments was useful if you often use the same gifs. Meh, just a different system to learn.
Some inline images seem to have disappeared, but others didn't. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Gains
For whatever it's worth. Watch threads and notification work much better in the new system in my opinion.

None of this is a deal breaker. Change is inevitable.

Last edited:

wilheldp_PE

PE, LEED AP, SPAM KING
Reaction score
I don't see this button, either, even after having read some threads in any given sub-forum.
It works. Once you "catch up" with threads you want to read, click the "Mark Forums Read" button which will mark all posts as being read. Next time you click on a thread title, it will take you to the first unread post. This may have failed for you once or twice because every time they take the board offline and put it back up again, it resets this function, so you have to mark the forums read again before it starts working again.