How Long for California to Review App and Issue License

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fyrfytr310

Principal Engineer
Reaction score
Creating this thread for future forum searchers.  I put my completed application in the mail yesterday (5/28/2019) and they are scheduled to receive it on Friday (5/31/2019).  I'll record all activity here for the benefit of future aspiring licensees in California.

*Edit to provide complete timeline.

4/5/19 - PE Exam taken in SF

5/14/19 - Notification of successful exam attempt 

5/28/19 - Complete application placed in standard mail

5/30/19 - Package received by BPELSG

6/5/10 - Check cashed

7/10/19 - Notification of advancement to technical review.

7/17/19 - Notification of approval.

7/19/19 - License number added to database after business hours.

08/06/19 - Paper ID card received

08/16/19 - Plastic ID Card received

08/19/19 - Wall certificate received.

Last edited by a moderator:
I overnighted my application in on D-Day, 5/14/19 the Saturday after, 5/18/19, I received a letter from the board that there was an error with my check and that it could not be processed.  I re-sent my check to the board the same day (5/18/19).  No communication since, check has not been cashed.

I wish they would let you pay extra to expedite.  I have tasks at my job that I am literally waiting on a license number to start doing.

Tracking confirms BPELSG is in possession of my application package as of this morning 5/30/2019.

Same. BPELSG received my application as of Tuesday, May 28.

Does anyone know how they let you know they've completed the process? Do they send a letter/email or am I supposed to keep checking the license lookup everyday until I show up? Tried looking around the BPELSG website, but couldn't find anything but the 'don't ask us until AFTER 60 days' note.

Same. BPELSG received my application as of Tuesday, May 28.

Does anyone know how they let you know they've completed the process? Do they send a letter/email or am I supposed to keep checking the license lookup everyday until I show up? Tried looking around the BPELSG website, but couldn't find anything but the 'don't ask us until AFTER 60 days' note.
That’s all I found as well.  I’m going to try to exercise the same patience I used for the exam results.

It would take approximately 2-4 weeks to issue a PE license number from the point that they verify you fulfilled all requirements (work, education, exam verification, bio scan, etc) asked by CA board. Here is email from CA board:

License numbers are issued bi-weekly for all eligible applicants who have passed all required exams and fulfilled the Livescan/Fingerprint requirement.

Once the Systems Analyst completes the verification process, and it is determined you qualify for licensure, your license number will be issued.

Your PE license number should appear in ‘License Lookup’ on the CA Board’s websitehttp://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/consumers/lic_lookup.shtml

Your wall certificate will be mailed to you in approximately 4 to 6 weeks.

You will also receive a plastic pocket ID card in the mail in approximately 12 weeks.

How's everybody's wait going?
I'm trying my best to hold it all together.
Since they release every two weeks, and last friday was the "on" week, I'm hoping somebody gets some news next week Friday.

How's everybody's wait going?
I'm trying my best to hold it all together.
Since they release every two weeks, and last friday was the "on" week, I'm hoping somebody gets some news next week Friday.
I'm doing fine with the wait.  I'm not even maintaining hope for next Friday personally. I'm thinking more like end of July...

Next friday isn't on the list, it's every other friday (if the past several years of license dates are anything to go by) March 15/29 were the last two on the published list which puts June 7th and 21st as well as July 5th and 19th as update days.  The "published list" gets updated quarterly (I think) but the license lookup gets updated in real time.

edit:

I realized after I posted, "next" friday might be 6/21, and "this" friday might be 6/14, in which case "next" friday is on the list....

Last edited by a moderator:
Next friday isn't on the list, it's every other friday (if the past several years of license dates are anything to go by) March 15/29 were the last two on the published list which puts June 7th and 21st as well as July 5th and 19th as update days.  The "published list" gets updated quarterly (I think) but the license lookup gets updated in real time.

edit:

I realized after I posted, "next" friday might be 6/21, and "this" friday might be 6/14, in which case "next" friday is on the list....
Sorry, I should've been clearer. Yeah, by next Friday I meant the 21st. 

I'm doing fine with the wait.  I'm not even maintaining hope for next Friday personally. I'm thinking more like end of July...
I need to temper myself like this. At this rate, it may even be into August...

My wife and I have gotten into heated discussions about whether "next" in reference to a day of the week means "the one that is happening in the following calendar week", or "the first one that hasn't started yet", or "the one following the first one that hasn't started yet"

My wife and I have gotten into heated discussions about whether "next" in reference to a day of the week means "the one that is happening in the following calendar week", or "the first one that hasn't started yet", or "the one following the first one that hasn't started yet"
I've definitely run into this conversation a couple of times myself. I use "next" as an improper abbreviation of "next week's". It's funny though because I will always double check when anybody just says "next" to ensure that they mean "next week's", even though I consistently forget to clarify what I mean myself lol

The big heated discussion between my wife and I though is definitely the oxford comma  :D

My parents, Hitler, and Anne Frank agree that the oxford comma is necessary in at least one situation.  I believe it should be used in every situation that arises for sake of consistency.

If I've done my math right (by 'math' I mean 'counted days on my calendar'), I can't call the board until July 29th.  Just for the record.

If I've done my math right (by 'math' I mean 'counted days on my calendar'), I can't call the board until July 29th.  Just for the record.
I think we are talking about different things. In California we have to take the Seismic and Surveying. After you complete all the required exams CA issues licenses bi-weekly. I believe you are talking about CA reviewing a license from reciprocity from another state, so that you can qualify to take the CA specific exams, correct? That might take 6-8 weeks.

Back