How did it go?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took the electronics exam, the PM was more difficult for me but not by much. I now realize I made silly mistakes on a few problems that should have been gimme points. I can't remember if my answers were "close enough"! Argh

Does any one else feel like there may have been mistakes on NCEES's part on the selectable solutions? I know I encountered atleast two problems. One which was simple enough and the other one may have been a clarity issue (I solved for everything I could have in the circuit, still no reasonable choice among the answers provided). I reported them to NCEES.

Like va_gator said, having the right reference/formula is key on several problems. I wish I would have had more references/examples on the type of problems that were not my strong points. Just last night I found my Comm book that I thought I had sold back when I was still in school. I'm sure that would have help on a few probs! Doh!

If I fail, I know where to improve on to pass now knowing/getting a feel for the actual exam.

I took the electronics exam, the PM was more difficult for me but not by much. I now realize I made silly mistakes on a few problems that should have been gimme points. I can't remember if my answers were "close enough"! Argh
Does any one else feel like there may have been mistakes on NCEES's part on the selectable solutions? I know I encountered atleast two problems. One which was simple enough and the other one may have been a clarity issue (I solved for everything I could have in the circuit, still no reasonable choice among the answers provided). I reported them to NCEES.

Like va_gator said, having the right reference/formula is key on several problems. I wish I would have had more references/examples on the type of problems that were not my strong points. Just last night I found my Comm book that I thought I had sold back when I was still in school. I'm sure that would have help on a few probs! Doh!

If I fail, I know where to improve on to pass now knowing/getting a feel for the actual exam.
Hmmm. I also took the electronics exam and I felt the PM portion was much "easier" for me than the AM. Not sure why, things just went better. My main issue was spending too much time on the AM problems. It left me with way too many circles to fill in in the last minute. Maybe I just managed my time better in the PM. Anyway, I feel that if I would have did as well on the AM as I think I did on the PM I will pass. Since I stunk up the joint on the AM, I'm not sure. I really don't want to try a fourth time in October....

As far as NCEES mistakes, they could all have been mistakes as far I know. I do seem to remember a couple questions that were poorly worded, but I'll be damned if I can remember them now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took the electronics exam as well. I completed the AM section no problem. Worked everything problem twice and still had over an hour left at the end. I hit several problems I had idea how to solve, but in many cases I was able to find the exact formula I needed in one of my books.

I found the PM section much harder. I spent way too much time on the first couple of problems. I had to guess at 8 problems in the afternoon section. I don't think I'll have a stellar score, but hopefully I'll do well enough to pass. My Signal Processing book could have given me another 4-5 answers had I brought it.

Lots of Greg Maddux type curve balls, both morning and afternoon. With that said, after going through the exam I started looking at it closer and saw it wasn't as bad as it looked. I don't think any more or any less studying would have made a difference.

I don't know about anyone else, but I relied more on experience, general knowledge, and common sense for this exam.

I took the electronics exam as well. I completed the AM section no problem. Worked everything problem twice and still had over an hour left at the end. I hit several problems I had idea how to solve, but in many cases I was able to find the exact formula I needed in one of my books.
I found the PM section much harder. I spent way too much time on the first couple of problems. I had to guess at 8 problems in the afternoon section. I don't think I'll have a stellar score, but hopefully I'll do well enough to pass. My Signal Processing book could have given me another 4-5 answers had I brought it.

southfloridaengineer:

What books are you using were helpful for the A.M., and which Signal Processing book are you using? I had lots of trouble with the A.M. part, maybe a better reference would help. Time management was a big problem for me in the A.M. I think I panicked toward the end....Although, I feel pretty good about the PM, maybe I can squeak by and pass somehow. It comes down to guessing for me.... :wacko:

I feel pretty good about the whole thing. I took the power exam.

I only had one guess on the exam in the afternoon. I had one stupid mistake that I am aware of. Otherwise I got matching answers for all of the problems. I am shelving all of my books at the office.

It did take me a while to figure out one particular problem that a lot of people were probably sweating over EARLY in the afternoon... then it dawned on my what was going on. Had to reverse engineer it from the answer choices.

Here's to holding our breath for the next 7 weeks or so!

Lots of Greg Maddux type curve balls, both morning and afternoon. With that said, after going through the exam I started looking at it closer and saw it wasn't as bad as it looked. I don't think any more or any less studying would have made a difference.
I don't know about anyone else, but I relied more on experience, general knowledge, and common sense for this exam.

Yep. I could have prepared for this thing a year in advance, taken two prep courses, do and understand all the sample exams available, and still feel the same way because the questions are so sprawled out across the spectrum and the way it is asked doubles the hard. Having said that, it was an ok test, I'll need luck... lots of it. :fart: :eek:ldman: :waiting: :Banane26: :beerchug: :icon_anal: :bananapowerslide: :mf_followthroughfart:

AM was tough, PM was not as bad. I hope not fail for 1 or 2 points.
Interesting. I took the power exam as well and felt the morning was much better for me. I felt I crushed it with only 1-2 questions I was unsure about. The afternoon session I was more shakey with probably 5-8 questions I was unsure about.

Overall I felt the test was tough, but fair. I was well prepared with the reference books I had.
Would you please share the references and prep materials you used?

I took the following in:

- Electrical Machines, Drives, & Power Systems - Wildi

- TestMasters Binder

- NCEES Practice Exams

- 2008 NEC Handbook

- NEMA VFD Guidebook (recommended by this forum)

- Camara Handbook

- All my prepared cheat sheets with formulas

- CEM (Certified Energy Manager) Study Guide

- 2 FX115 Casios

I took the following in:

- TestMasters Binder

- NCEES Practice Exams

- 2008 NEC Handbook

- Camara Handbook

- 2 FX115 Casios
Thanks very much for these suggestions!

I took the following in:

- TestMasters Binder

- NCEES Practice Exams

- 2008 NEC Handbook

- Camara Handbook

- 2 FX115 Casios
I had a similar set of books, which I culled from recommendations on this board.

- Camara Handbook (the PPI Power book and sample exam. This is a great one stop shop for many power topics)

- Electrical Machines, Drives, & Power Systems - Wildi (great book, I love the simple way he breaks down complex topics)

- 2008 NEC tabbed to the max. (I wish I brought the Handbook in retrospect)

- Power Systems Analysis, Grainger/Stevenson. (great old school book, a bit heavy on complex math but covers a lot of complex topics)

- 3 ring binder of all my loose reference material. (problem index guides, wikipedia and manufacturer white papers on various topics I thought would be covered on the exam)

- NCEES Sample Exam.

- EC&M Handbook, Paschal. (This is a great little resource, a nice introduction for those new to the field. I use this as a reference of the MVA method for short circuit calculations. It's better than any other I've found).

- 2 FX115 Casios

- NEMA VFD Guidebook (recommended by this forum. I didn't bring this even though I had printed it out and skimmed through it previously. If I go again I will definitely bring it.)

Last edited by a moderator:
To the people that took that the Power Exam, were there areas covered on the exam that are Not included in the Power Exam Specifications listing?http://www.ncees.org/Documents/Public/Exam...0Apr%202009.pdf

Thanks.
If you study based on the percentages for each topic, you will be royally screwed.

I honestly wouldn't even pay attention to those numbers.
My advice is to make sure you understand every topic on their list and forget about their percentage. Make sure you know how to do simple problem for EVERY topic first, then start doing some more in depth studying. Like that you won't be caught with you pants down... Like must of us did... LOL

Back