How big is your...Embosser?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJHHEngineer P.E.

Got a bridge to sell ya.
Reaction score
As I sit and wait for the formal license from NJ, I'm starting to look at seals.  I believe NJ requires an embossed seal.  Looking at PEStamps.com as they were the banner ad, it looks like there's a few different size options and orientations.  Just curious, which size embosser do you guys feel is most practical?  What are they referring to when they ask for embosser orientation?

Side note - I think a movement needs to be started for custom seals...NJ's is boring as all hell.

As I sit and wait for the formal license from NJ, I'm starting to look at seals.  I believe NJ requires an embossed seal.  Looking at PEStamps.com as they were the banner ad, it looks like there's a few different size options and orientations.  Just curious, which size embosser do you guys feel is most practical?  What are they referring to when they ask for embosser orientation?

Side note - I think a movement needs to be started for custom seals...NJ's is boring as all hell.
AGREED 100%. One reason (although not the biggest reason) I got my PE in NY state first.

I found this as an explanation (below). It just means what side of the page you would use the embosser from. Assuming you seal construction drawings with the titleblock on the right, you would probably go with an emboss from the right. I imagine the standard embosser reach would be acceptable for most construction drawings, although it might make your life easier to invest in the longer reach embossers. Some drawings with a wide titleblock could require some folding or bending the corner of the sheet to reach the space where you seal.

image.png

My boss has her PE in NJ and I def don't recall seeing an embosser in her desk

^^ What he said.  And, NJDOT still requires hard copies (7 EA) of all approved submittals on a project.  Any PE stamped submittals need a raised seal (TIMES 7) and a wet signature.

For what my company designs in house, it's not so bad.  Usually a cover page stamp works.  But they require each page of a shop drawing be stamped as well.  We've got some that are 60-70 pages long.  So our suppliers/subs are stamping that many pages times 7.  That's why PEs get paid the big bucks right?!?

I don't do a lot of work in NJ, but I did a project recently in North Bergen and looked this up. I know the owner of my company has a few embossers including NJ. 

We've got some that are 60-70 pages long. 
Aww civil pages are so cute & little 😂

Embossing sounds like a PITA. A former manager of mine had an ink pad and separate stamp. The middle of his pad was dented from use so he'd have to use the edges. IDK why he didn't get a new pad or switch to self inking (I love my self inking stamps)

Aww civil pages are so cute & little 😂

Embossing sounds like a PITA. A former manager of mine had an ink pad and separate stamp. The middle of his pad was dented from use so he'd have to use the edges. IDK why he didn't get a new pad or switch to self inking (I love my self inking stamps)
I have a stamp. Actually two. I have used it twice in official capacity.  One is standard rubber stamp (company provided), one is self inking (vHab provided)

I use digital seal 99% of the time.

Although if I actually did the calcs on that, it would probably be more like 90%, since I don't have to seal all that many things.

I have a stamp. Actually two. I have used it twice in official capacity.  One is standard rubber stamp (company provided), one is self inking (vHab provided)

I use digital seal 99% of the time.

Although if I actually did the calcs on that, it would probably be more like 90%, since I don't have to seal all that many things.
I seal digitally using DocuSign but bought physical stamps to scan in for the program. I could've gotten digital versions from PEStamps.com but I wanted the satisfying "ca-thonk" of the stamp. My company reimburses me for my stamps so I picked what I wanted. I accidentally ordered one of my stamps with blue ink 🤦🏼‍♀️

For orientation it's not a big deal unless you have OCD. The seal is just embossed into the paper and it's rare that someone would read the seal. They most likely feel that the page was seales and that is it. If you were sealing over foil you may want it to look good, but if just signing plans it doesn't matter if the seal is not alligned perfectly.  In terms of size, the smaller size will usually be sufficient for most of your work.  I went with the long reach on mine. Most plans or reports/letters will have signture area close to the outside so they are easily to seal. So far I've only seen 1 form for Toms River that is printed on legal size paper with the signature block in a weird space where the smaller reach embossers have trouble reaching the seal area.

I got an embosser because I wanted one. But if I actually had to do a bunch of stamping, then I'd probably switch to an ink stamp.

I got an embosser because I wanted one. But if I actually had to do a bunch of stamping, then I'd probably switch to an ink stamp.
As stated above, NJ requires embossed seal.  Not a big deal for me.  It won't really be a daily use for me.  Just here and there as needed.  We only do a few designs in house that require stamps.

Last edited by a moderator:
My state allows ink or embossed seals/stamps. I got an embosser just because that's what I wanted. I got this one. 

https://www.acornsales.com/Engineer-Hybrid-Seal-Embosser-p/3034eng.htm

They advertise on EB (or at least they have in the past) and I'm pretty sure I used a EB promo code and saved 20%... correction 30%
Correction I got 30% off with this engineering boards coupon code: 
EB30

No idea if it still works, but worth a try. I got the embosser that I wanted, 30% off, and free jpg, tif, & dfx digital seals. Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase.

Back