home made electrical components

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

munyua44

Reaction score
am thinking about starting to make my own passive electrical elements. I might start with the resistor. My worry is that I dont know where to start and therefore am looking for relevant information from the experts here so that i can make this passion achievable.
Thanks!

To create a wirewound resistor, one piece of wire would have to serve as the path for the electrical current to flow from one end of the resistor to the other. To create a resistor with a small resistance (or Ohm) value, use a thicker, shorter wire as the path between the two electrical leads.

To create a wirewound resistor, one piece of wire would have to serve as the path for the electrical current to flow from one end of the resistor to the other. To create a resistor with a small resistance (or Ohm) value, use a thicker, shorter wire as the path between the two electrical leads.
thanks for the insight. A i supposed to wind the wire to look like a spring without anything in between it or I should insert something in between? Do you have a sample of the wirewound resistor. I think I should start with this one immediately.

Back