HOA Horror Stories

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^ That was my last place.  Boy, do I ever miss it.

I almost forgot, our last neighborhood I was actually on the board for 6 months, I was basically "the guy" who voted no on any non essential expenditure, I believe I irritated the other stay at home moms on the board who wanted to spend every nickel in the account, then I missed the bi -annual meeting when my daughters softball team was in the playoffs and they did some weird rule where you can vote out a board member that doesn't show up for the annual meeting.. Then I went into the database at work (I worked at the County) and dropped our neighborhood a decade from the subdivision resurfacing list ;)  the following Monday..

Yeah - lets see how well that HOA's bargain-bin lawyer on retainer does against a hot-shoe pro bono attorney who rams the ADA up their ass just for the glory of it.

Yeah, disabled war hero being screwed by HOA in the news... this can't end well for the HOA.

Yeah - lets see how well that HOA's bargain-bin lawyer on retainer does against a hot-shoe pro bono attorney who rams the ADA up their ass just for the glory of it.
They're gonna get their asses handed to them. All they can do is delay the inevitable, albeit with a seven to eight figure cost.

Even a sh$%^y lawyer would have immediately advised them that this a lost cause and that they should approve the ramp and in-home improvements ASAP.

I bought a foreclosed townhouse as my first home which was part of an HOA neighborhood. I think I paid like 125/mo and it covered insurance for drywall out, lawn, landscape, snow removal etc. 

I was considering getting satellite instead of cable and I had to put together a proposal of which part of the roof I was going to put the dish on, so I went with cable instead. 

I was an annoying neighbor who fought with the association because we had back to back rows of houses, with our garages on an interior drive between the rows (if that makes sense) and this one person would park their car in the entry part of the drive, in front of the mailboxes, and there was no way you could see beyond the street parking and around their car to see if someone was trying to come out of the (now single lane) drive. So i fought and fought and fought and finally they painted the area as a no parking zone. then i moved. 

it was the worst in the winter when iced roads and you're turning into the drive and someone else is trying to leave the drive and it's like well **** (or get hit)

Last edited by a moderator:
......and sometimes you live near what I call annoying / do gooder neighbors who don't call the HOA but call the "city"

We came home from a great day of skiing and a really shitty day of being caught on the wrong side of an avalanche late last night to find a cop and animal control in my driveway around midnight.  A neighbor had called the police because my dog was outside (it was -5). She (the dog) has access to a doggie door into the garage with an actual heat vent stubbed up through the basement near her bedding. Note that the dog wasn't barking they were just irked that the dog was "outside" in the cold, 50 lb border collie with thick fur.. people are just so f'n stupid..

The cops had entered my backyard and put the dog in the animal control van until we showed up and showed them that the dog had access to the house and a fucking heater!- The cops and the bitch **** animal control lady apologized and gave us our dog back.. (we had some issues a few years ago with the BCACL before when probably the same neighbors kids cut through our yard, left the gate open allowing said dog to escape to give out aggressive licks to kids down the street..

I was too tired to say anything last night but I really want to know if they have the legal authority to enter my property and abduct my property without a warrant?

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw a story pop up recently about an HOA threatening to fine a family $100 a day for a camper in their driveway.  They put it there because she is a nurse and doesn't want to expose one of her kids with pre-existing conditions.

I think I saw that the camper is back at the storage place because, for the moment, she is able to do her work from home but she expects to be called in as the workload increases and staff ultimately have to drop out either due to infection or overwork.

When we move, the first requirement will be no HOA and no exceptions.

Note:  Hypervolt Plus massage tools ad is blocking the submit button and a refresh shows women's clothing with sunflowers all over it ad blocking the submit button.

thats fucked up about the camper, thing, I would get that to some news station and let them feel the wrath - 

Our HOA sent out a letter that basically they wouldnt be doing much while this was going on, not that they did much, but the said they dont even expect to open the pool this summer.  I hope someone is hoping to not pay them - I think we are gong to not make the next quartrly payment and see what happens

Back