Hi all! Biosystems engineer here.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aepe

Reaction score
Hi all! I've decided to get my PE so that I can officially put "engineer" back in my email signature. My degree is in biosystems engineering but I currently design sanitary process systems (lots of fluids and thermo stuff). I was considering taking the chemical exam (most of my coworkers are chemical) but the mechanical TFS is looking much more appealing. Plus I'm terrible at chemistry.

I'd be interested in hearing from other biosystems (bio-ag) engineers that got their PE in something outside of their degree.

Hi all! I've decided to get my PE so that I can officially put "engineer" back in my email signature. My degree is in biosystems engineering but I currently design sanitary process systems (lots of fluids and thermo stuff). I was considering taking the chemical exam (most of my coworkers are chemical) but the mechanical TFS is looking much more appealing. Plus I'm terrible at chemistry.

I'd be interested in hearing from other biosystems (bio-ag) engineers that got their PE in something outside of their degree.
Welcome.

What state are you in? Any plans to get licensed in additional states?

In most states once you pass the PE exam and get licensed, you are allowed to practice in any area that you have expertise in, so it doesn't matter what exam you take. Take whatever one you want. But there are some states that only allow you to practice in the field that you were tested in.

Just saying, make sure you know the rules before you make your decision.

I'm in Wisconsin, according to person who handles all the licensing at my company my plan to take the mechanical TFS exam is fine given my degree and work experience. I've already started some of the DTC courses and TFS is the much smarter decision over the chemical exam.

Back