Help: obtaining an ITIN for California application

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul_uk

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a question for all of you who are non-US citizens and applied for the FE / PE exam in California. I already uploaded a similar post on "Anything about the PE exam" but I will open a new thread here since it is relevant to FE applications as well. 

California requires all foreign applicants to provide a ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) on the application form in place of the Social Security Number. The ITIN can be requested to the IRS using Form W-7.

My question is: What reason for requesting an ITIN did you provide on IRS Form W-7?     (see screenshot below)

I submit Form W-7 months ago and the IRS got back to me saying I am not eligible because I'm requesting the ITIN for an invalid reason. According to them, the ITIN is only required for federal tax reporting. Today I tried explaining to them on the phone why I need one but I had no success.

How did you fill the top part of Form W-7? Did you tick the box next to h) ? What explanation did you provide?

Thank you!

Paul

ITIN capture3.jpg

Did you ever receive a reply on this or figure it out? I am running into the same issue.

Back