Happy Valentines Day

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy Valentines Day
Back at you snick.

FWIW, I'm not a big fan of these "holidays" either, but a simple card or other token goes a long way in maintaining a a happy relationship.

I do find it rather annoying that V-day has been expanded from your significant other to mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, aunts, uncles, etc. etc. etc. whomever you might consider special. That is truly where the "hallmark" tradition takes over. they just want to sell more cards.

P.S. Why isn't S & BJ day as popular?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a fan of the consumerism holiday either. We don't do anything special for it typically. I would probably kill mr snick if he were to buy flowers today. Some thing that costs $15-$20 yesterday and will again cost the much tomorrow doesn't justify costing $50 today simply because it is valentines day.

I'm not a fan of the consumerism holiday either. We don't do anything special for it typically. I would probably kill mr snick if he were to buy flowers today. Some thing that costs $15-$20 yesterday and will again cost the much tomorrow doesn't justify costing $50 today simply because it is valentines day.
I used to send my wife flowers on the 13th for just that reason...and to give the other husbands a heads up that valentine's was tomorrow.

P.S. Why isn't S & BJ day as popular?
Well my wife doesn't really like steak too much.

We exchange cards and make sure to spend the evening doing something together. That's about it.

I don't feel the need to buy overpriced flowers that will die in a week or waxy chocolates.

kind of like the groupon ftd promotion?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/sns...0,1613673.story
ftd is notorious for that kind of thing. I've run into similar things when trying to get the discovercard offers through FTD. you either get the 20% cash back bonus on the full price or go the website to get the sale price. you can't do both with the discover card bonus.

Mrs. Ble and I celebrated Valentine's Day this weekend since mini-ble was with his grandparents. We're always low-key and this weekend we had a nice meal at the house and watched a movie together.

Happy Valentine's Day.

1234638222342_display.jpg

I donated my $20 to the Hallmark fund this weekend as well. Except i spent it on those stupid kiddo cards they exchange at their various parties. Had to buy 3 boxes for 2 kids because my son has 1/2 day kindergarten and the other 1/2 day is spent at daycare and both are having parties.

The part that pisses me off is anything pertaining to kiddo parties (valentines, bday invites, goodie bags, cups, plates) are sold in packs that make you buy 1 extra pack just to accomodate 1 or 2 more people or some super-sized pack that is twice as many as you need. My wife volunteered us to supply goodie bags for one of the parties and they had 25 kids. Everything i found for the party was sold in 8, 12 or 20 packs. The other option was to buy the supersize 50 pack.

Just like the hotdog vs bun argument.

It took several years, but I finally convinced my wife not to "celebrate" Valentines day on the 14th. We went to a play and went out to dinner over the weekend, but i don't get her any flowers, candies or cards for the 14th, I wait until the 15th (today) and go to the store to buy something. Everything is marked down to at least 50% off the inflated pre-Valentines Day prices. It makes buying that crap a little more bearable.

Back