hallelujah!!!!!!!!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At least after a certain number of years, you will be able to advise us of the exact minimum number of study days required to pass.
oh I would love to come back and comment on this thread letting you know that I passed without studying. :)  but that's just a wishful thinking for now.  :laugh:

oh I would love to come back and comment on this thread letting you know that I passed without studying. :)  but that's just a wishful thinking for now.  :laugh:
Not sure what kind of reaction you expected people to have coming in and saying you didn't study. It's pretty smug and certainly unaware.  I get it that a lot of people out there are way smarter than me. My theory though is that with increased intelligence comes decreased humility.  And the exact opposite holds true, too.  It's a bell curve of intelligence to humility,

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure what kind of reaction you expected people to have coming in and saying you didn't study. It's pretty smug and certainly unaware.  I get it that a lot of people out there are way smarter than me. My theory though is that with increased intelligence comes decreased humility.  And the exact opposite holds true, too.  It's a bell curve of intelligence to humility,
You also have to look at discipline, as even if you do structural engineering every day, there is a LOT of subject matter that is NOT done every day, at least 50% of the AM was content i had to learn specifically for the test, and probably 40% for the afternoon.

You also have to look at discipline, as even if you do structural engineering every day, there is a LOT of subject matter that is NOT done every day, at least 50% of the AM was content i had to learn specifically for the test, and probably 40% for the afternoon.
I'm not sure of how it is for other disciplines, but I think that is a fair assessment. That breaks down to 45% of material we had to learn just to sit for the exam.  Because while I did hydraulics, hydrology, transportation, concrete design, etc. in school, the vast majority of my day to day is steel design and dealing with bullshit from architects. I'm waiting on the exam to ask real questions like so:

You designed a steel beam to be a W14x22 but your architect took a structures course when he was in college and is confident that a C4x5.4 will work. What is your response?

A) Flip out behind the scenes but peacefully call him and explain why you used a W14x22.

B) Scream obscenities and bitch to your coworkers for 15 minutes until you've calmed down enough to call him.

C) Drop him as a client

D) Go home. You're done for the day.

I wasn't expecting any reaction. I was simply just stating the fact that I didn't study due to my dumb self mixing up the test date (I also mentioned that I signed up for the exam to taste what it's really like) but I guess I do see your point on how it could come off as being "smug". But... I mean there were posts I've read in this forum about people who passed the PE exam without studying so I didn't think people would see my post as "bragging". I was simply implying that I feel like there's a chance that I might've passed it. 

I get it, everyone has different discipline, different educational background, and may not work on engineering projects directly on a daily basis. But don't forget to recall what the purpose of PE exam is (or what it's supposed to be). It's not to learn new materials but to test engineers on their understanding and aptitude... (of certain discipline). Not all exams are the same and not all discipline are the same so don't take it personally, I wasn't putting anyone down. 

So I'm also not sure on what kind of reaction you're expecting from telling me your personal theory on intelligence to humility. Are you trying to solve my intelligence level by plugging my "humility" into your little bell curve theory? 

I think you, my friend, sounds like a pretty "smug" guy to me.

I'm not sure of how it is for other disciplines, but I think that is a fair assessment. That breaks down to 45% of material we had to learn just to sit for the exam.  Because while I did hydraulics, hydrology, transportation, concrete design, etc. in school, the vast majority of my day to day is steel design and dealing with bullshit from architects. I'm waiting on the exam to ask real questions like so:

You designed a steel beam to be a W14x22 but your architect took a structures course when he was in college and is confident that a C4x5.4 will work. What is your response?

A) Flip out behind the scenes but peacefully call him and explain why you used a W14x22.

B) Scream obscenities and bitch to your coworkers for 15 minutes until you've calmed down enough to call him.

C) Drop him as a client

E) ask him to stamp his PE license on it.  :B

I think you, my friend, sounds like a pretty "smug" guy to me.
"no. you."

I'm not trying to tell you that you fit on the lower end of the bell curve. Like I said - I fully accept that there are a lot of people out there that are way smarter than me. Most of what I'm saying on here is for the lulz, but I'm being honest when I say that your comment about studying the night before is definitely tone deaf and comes off as smug. I've known plenty of the "I didn't study and I made a 100" people in the past and I've always had the same thoughts about them, so don't take it personally.

What an interesting psych study this would be. Most of us on here studied for months and are worried/doubtful we will pass and SamIAm over here studies the night before and thinks he could have gotten 60 correct. 

lol why is a surprise that if I take an exam on something I do on a daily basis, that I might pass without studying?
After finally passing the Environmental PE in October 2017 after several attempts, I'm curious, @samiam9005, did you pass without studying? 

C) Drop him as a client

Honestly, I would do B :)  But if I had a different work environment I would hopefully do A.

kmill23 said:
I'm curious to know as well.  I passed (first attempt) this go around, and I do a ton of multi-media work. I'd say my experience is as broad as anyone's.  But breadth of experience only gets you so far; there is no way to be an expert in all areas so early in a career.  Therefore you better believe I studied my butt off and I certainly wasn't confident I'd pass.  
@kmill23 CONGRATS!!  I graduated with a Chemical Engineering degree 15+ years ago and my experience has only been as a state regulator in the NPDES program, so I struggled in the air and solid waste portion of the exam.  I'm so relieved to have finally passed that exam😅

C) Drop him as a client

You forgot the part where the architect has already notified the Owner about the change including the cost savings, which is the only part the Owner hears...

I choose A+B+E) Flip out, bitch to coworkers, put him on the list of never listening to anything that guy/gal says ever...

kmill23 said:
Congrats to you @timmer1026!  Big accomplishment!!  It was such a change trying to get back to studying.  I took the FE exam during undergrad 10 years ago!  So it was challenging.

Now, onto the fun part of finishing my application for licensure.  I think Environmental Engineers have it a little different where our experience records don't detail 'designed big machine,' 'designed bridge,' 'designed roadways,' etc.  So I'm struggling with how to word my experience to reflect the use of engineering principles.  Ugh.  

This is from a post from @ruggercsc on this forum and may help (Credit to @NYCProjectEngineer PE PMP for his write up below): 

Here is a list of action verbs you can use in your record to get you started:

•      Designed

•      Analyzed

•      Specified

•      Programmed

•      Planned

•      Evaluated

•      Problem Solved

•      Produced

•      Created

•      Implemented

Some other design examples, notice how specific the examples are:

•      Performed troubleshooting on air handling unit during commissioning.

•      Calculated construction loads for scaffolding to be used for concrete placement.

•      Calculated the loading on new concrete foundations to verify it was acceptable to backfill and place construction equipment on top of the foundations.

•      Specified foundation detail requirements

•      Designed storm water drainage plans

•      Designed formwork for concrete.

•      Calculated equipment fleet productivity rates and scheduled project to optimize equipment and manpower resources.

•      Designed temporary excavations support systems.

•      Designed construction haul roads.

•      Design of rigging systems.

•      Design of crane safety and operation plans.

•      Design of storage and lay-down facilities.

•      Design and inspection of site drainage and sedimentation controls.

Other engineering duties can include:

•      Inspection of construction to verify conformance with design documents.

•      Perform value engineering analyses

•      Perform constructability reviews; provide design input based on reviews to the engineer of record.

•      Perform materials testing (concrete, steel, soils) and generate reports of results for use during construction (i.e., took soil samples and performed standard proctor).

•      Design and optimization of construction project schedule

•      Review shop drawings and submittals

•      Review and answer Requests for Information (RFIs)

•      Generate engineering cost estimates

•      Perform engineering economic analyses of construction plant and generate findings (i.e., buy or lease analysis, amortization schedule, maintenance costs over life of equipment, etc).

•      Performed safety inspections to verify compliance with OSHA requirements.

•      Generated (or reviewed) safety plans to ensure engineering controls were properly implemented (i.e., shoring for excavation, steel erection plans, critical lift plans, rigging, noise/light control plans, etc).

The key is to say what YOU did on the project. Do not say you “managed” other people doing the work; you have to have actually done the work to get credit for it. You need to properly and completely explain your design experience which, depending on your state, is required in conjunction with your general engineering experience.

@kmill23 Yep, as an environmental engineer, I had a hard time finding "traditional" engineering experience to put in my SER.  The Texas Board is pretty accepting of a lot of experience, as long as you can prove to them that you used the principles of engineering (calculation, analysis, etc) in what you do. For example, I was able to use my groundwater monitoring/sampling experience for my SER -I described how I calculated potentiometric surfaces, analyze historical contaminant concentration trends, etc.  If you need an example of language I used for my SER, feel free to send me a PM.

Back