Good Luck

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be the High-power people in the room- you've got this! 

https://www.ted.com/talks/amy_cuddy_your_body_language_shapes_who_you_are?language=en&utm_campaign=tedspread&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=tedcomshare

superwoman.jpg

Power-posing.png

Thanking @timmer1026 and @RBHeadge PE post-exam.  Today's Enviro exam was...interesting, to say the least.  Having sat for it two times before today, it was nothing like it was in April and October 2017.  Both content-wise and the overall experience for the exam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanking @timmer1026 and @RBHeadge PE post-exam.  Today's Enviro exam was...interesting, to say the least.  Having sat for it two times before today, it was nothing like it was in April and October 2017.  Both content-wise and the overall experience for the exam.
Ugh. Same. I sat for the exam in April and October 2017 too. I was not feeling good when I left today. I am feeling better after I've stuffed my face and had some wine but I was feeling pretty bummed out earlier.

I thought the exam was interesting?  A lot more qualitative than quantitative, and I think that’s because they’re going to be switching to CBT so they’re trying it out? Either way, I got a huge fish and chips and a margarita afterwards, and I’m still employed even if I fail, so a good attempt was made!

Ugh. Same. I sat for the exam in April and October 2017 too. I was not feeling good when I left today. I am feeling better after I've stuffed my face and had some wine but I was feeling pretty bummed out earlier.

I sat for the Enviro test 4 times😳, April and October 2015 and April and October 2017. With the 2017 exams, I felt really good after April and defeated after October’s exam. I’m not sure how I even drove home that night. But, I passed the October exam. So, I’m sure you did better then you think!! Sending good vibes to you both😊🤞🏼

I sat for the Enviro test 4 times😳, April and October 2015 and April and October 2017. With the 2017 exams, I felt really good after April and defeated after October’s exam. I’m not sure how I even drove home that night. But, I passed the October exam. So, I’m sure you did better then you think!! Sending good vibes to you both😊🤞🏼
Thank you so much @timmer1026, you give me hope! I feel like I had to guess at too many to feel good about passing. 😭

I thought the exam was interesting?  A lot more qualitative than quantitative, and I think that’s because they’re going to be switching to CBT so they’re trying it out? Either way, I got a huge fish and chips and a margarita afterwards, and I’m still employed even if I fail, so a good attempt was made!
Ugh, qualitative questions are harder for me. Curious, would you have been able to answer all the questions using only the Environmental PE Handbook as your reference? 

*Arriving late to the party"*

WOW...that was a lot different than I prepared for. Evening sucked less than morning. I hope that after the powers that be do their manipulation, we all pass. I've spoken to a few of you on these boards and off these boards and I have no doubt that you put in the hours. Hopefully that translates into a PE title for all of us.

Ugh, qualitative questions are harder for me. Curious, would you have been able to answer all the questions using only the Environmental PE Handbook as your reference? 
The Version 1.0 handbook? I don’t think I would have been able to answer any of the qualitative answers if I was utilizing that as my only reference. My “Intro to Environmental Engineering” book saved my life on a lot of those, since even the EERM was lacking in some of the specific stuff they were looking for. I mean, and even then, some of the qualitative questions could have multiple answers depending on how it was interpreted. 

Nope.  I was pleasantly surprised with the number of qualitative questions since I usually have an easier time answering those. And for the most part, I did.  I will definitely be talking to NCEES about one of the qualitative questions on the morning session for which I can say (with like 95% certainty) there were two answers for.

I don't really feel defeated.  I think the afternoon session will be my saving grace.  I got through 31 of the questions; I stumbled on what I thought were "good" solutions for another 4 (either a formula or concept in one of my references that seemed to work) in the last 30 minutes, leaving only 5 or so that I had to blind guess on.

Edit:  For the most part, I think the exam was fairly practical.  Maybe that's because I changed how I prepared for this attempt.

Same. Emotionally hungover AF today. God ****.

Nope.  I was pleasantly surprised with the number of qualitative questions since I usually have an easier time answering those. And for the most part, I did.  I will definitely be talking to NCEES about one of the qualitative questions on the morning session for which I can say (with like 95% certainty) there were two answers for.

I don't really feel defeated.  I think the afternoon session will be my saving grace.  I got through 31 of the questions; I stumbled on what I thought were "good" solutions for another 4 (either a formula or concept in one of my references that seemed to work) in the last 30 minutes, leaving only 5 or so that I had to blind guess on.

Edit:  For the most part, I think the exam was fairly practical.  Maybe that's because I changed how I prepared for this attempt.
I will be emailing them about the same issue. I wonder if we are thinking about the same question.

Today's Enviro exam was...interesting, to say the least.  Having sat for it two times before today, it was nothing like it was in April and October 2017.  Both content-wise and the overall experience for the exam.

I thought the exam was interesting?  A lot more qualitative than quantitative, and I think that’s because they’re going to be switching to CBT so they’re trying it out? 

WOW...that was a lot different than I prepared for.  

The Version 1.0 handbook? I don’t think I would have been able to answer any of the qualitative answers if I was utilizing that as my only reference. 

Nope.  I was pleasantly surprised with the number of qualitative questions since I usually have an easier time answering those. And for the most part, I did. 
/troll mode off, so that no-one misinterprets what I'm about to say

Yeah, it sounds like they're making the transition to the CBT and proving new "standard" questions. I don't know why they'd make the last two pencil/paper sessions so different. Why bother making a whole new test three times? It doesn't make sense.

That's not encouraging for this year's passing rate, but it's not a guaranteed killer either. It could make things easier to pass on the CBT in the future. Part of me wonders if the pass rate on certain questions are really bad, if they'll call another cut score meeting? It wouldn't make much sense given that they just did one for the April exam, but who knows? If a new cut score meeting is needed, I strongly suspect it will delay the release of this year's results a week or two longer than we would have normally predicted (vets know what I'm talking about, and I won't elaborate further).

The pencil/paper nuclear exam had too many qualitative questions. I despised those for three reasons: 1) you either know the answer or you didn't, and books would rarely help; 1a) knowing the answer was really dependent on personal experience; 2) you can't check your answer; 3) You can't try to figure it out or make an educated guess either

If you looking above, most weren't encouraged by the qualitative questions, but one person was; maybe because of professional experience or studying methods. For the nuclear exam, those questions were really easy if you were of the ~30% with the right kind of experience. For everyone else... good luck. It's sort of like asking "On which side of the car do you refill gas on a Nissan?" That's really easy if you drive a Nissan, but if you drive a Ford or a Tesla, you're kinda f$%^&ed. 

/resume normal post-exam response mode

Back