Georgia PE, SE license

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This.  You probably dodged a bullet. 
Well, I still work here. :)   It was a leadership position, and I am studying to take the SE, since it is an unwritten requirement (AKA, strongly recommended) to get it since we are located in Illinois.  I was just frosty that they made it a requirement for a team lead position-it REALLY limited the field of applicants. I mean, I'm licensed.. just not in Illinois, yet.  :)

I'm right there with you, just on the other side of Lake Michigan.  Although, I'll be going through the same board as you.  Hopefully soon. 

By the way, those were some WILD storms you guys got yesterday .... hope nobody got hurt.  😕 

Second career?  What was the first?  Why the change? Do tell!  :)   JK. Its really none of my (or the internet's) business lol.  
My first degree right out of HS was in architecture, which I realized in my last year/second to last year that it was not the right fit, but was so done with school I just sucked it up and finished. Then I worked for a number of years as an architect before deciding to get my engineering degree. It has been helpful in my career, and I love to shock the architects when they find out I used to be one.  

I'm right there with you, just on the other side of Lake Michigan.  Although, I'll be going through the same board as you.  Hopefully soon. 

By the way, those were some WILD storms you guys got yesterday .... hope nobody got hurt.  😕 
It was crazy.  Came out of nowhere. Luckily there was no major damage to our house, others were not so lucky.  Still have no power at home, and they are saying days until is back on.

Congrats for seeing the light.  Don't get me wrong, I love my architect colleagues, and they're super handy to have around, but c'mon, structural engineering is just cool.  :)

Pass SE exam to obtain PE license. Wow...

This rule is only for structural engineers I guess.
Seems a bit aggressive in terms of credentials but the stakes are also much higher if a structural engineer messes up... versus say a civil engineer messing up site balance calcs.  

Yes, I know,  civils and most other engineering disciplines have public health and safety implications but with structural in my opinion every decision or project has life or death consequences.  

My dream is one day structural becomes its own branch outside of the civil umbrella, and with the more focused curriculum the licensing process, be it PE or SE becomes generally easier.  

Wat these blank posts abt
I'm EBoards illiterate and couldn't find a way to delete a repeat post on my phone.  Ill try and delete them once at a computer.  Wrote that reply on my phone and pressed submit and nothing happened, so I pressed submit 2 more times.... 30 seconds after... 3 identical posts.  

Definitely an ok boomer moment,  and I'm a millennial I think?   Lol

There is a "grandfathering" provision in the legislation. Anyone who has a PE prior to the law's effective date has to sign an affidavit. The law leaves a lot of the particulars up to the board.

(3) Any applicant seeking a certificate of registration as a professional structural engineer prior to January 1, 2021, who already holds a valid certificate of registration as a professional engineer from the board, has a record of practice which is primarily in the practice of structural engineering, and is currently engaged in the practice of structural engineering may submit a signed affidavit on a form prescribed by the board stating as much. Based upon such affidavit and any other means the board may deem necessary to determine verification of practice in the area of structural engineering by an applicant, the board shall grant a certificate of registration as a professional structural engineer. On or after January 1, 2021, no certificate of registration as a professional structural engineer shall be issued unless the requirements of paragraph (1) or (2) of this Code section and Code Section 43-15-16 have been satisfied."

It's a bizarre middle-ground somewhere between the requirements of Oregon/Washington/Nevada and Illinois.  
It is bizarre and it extends to reciprocity and interactions with other boards. I was in the very first offering of the SE. After I submitted by application to the state board they mandated I take the SE. At first I thought this would be beneficial (SE I and SE II in one go). I was shocked when I went to register for the actual exam from NCEES. People that were doing site civil were paying $300 dollars and we ended up paying over $1000, and when it all came out in end there would be no way via state records to show there was a difference between the two licenses. The real kick in the backside came when I went to "leverage" my more intensive exam in CA. California told me that I would have to get seated for the Civil-Structural exam before i could sit for the state specific seismic/surveying exams and get a PE, and I had to have my PE before CA would let me apply for the SE. Needless to say I was pissed and frustrated with process, the state board, and NCEES.

There is a "grandfathering" provision in the legislation. Anyone who has a PE prior to the law's effective date has to sign an affidavit. The law leaves a lot of the particulars up to the board.
Where can I find this legislation? google is failing me...

Edit: found it: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwif3M606qfrAhXpTTABHaNlA2IQFjABegQIAhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fopb.georgia.gov%2Fdocument%2Fdocument%2Fhb-516-final-report%2Fdownload&usg=AOvVaw2kmmtQ9sHNS94fR8oiDc0e

Last edited by a moderator:
Back