Geometric Mean Radius

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Byk

Reaction score
Can someone please explain when do use any of the GMR formulas listed below?

All of the problem that I solved involving GMR in the equitation (typically looking for  capacitive reactance or inductive reactance) do not use any of the formulas for GMR listed below.

Typically, they use r'.

I just want to make sure I do not make a mistake on a simple problem where all you need to do is plug numbers.

Thanks for all the help!

image.png

The GMR formulas you've listed are used when multiple conductors are used in a single phase of a transmission line. I haven't seen many practice problems that are anything but single conductor per phase.

image.png

A side note based on one of your statements: the inductance formulas use GMR (0.7788r) and capacitance formulas use GMRc (r)

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here:

If you're using subconductors (multiple conductors per phase) you''ll use you the formulas you listed when solving for XL or L

GMRc is used for finding C and XC. It's the same formula except you use you're actual radius instead of r' (0.7788r)

When you just have one solid conductor (like in the NCEES exam) you can just use the radius of that cable for GMR (radiusx.7788) and GMRc (the actual radius)

Last edited:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here:

If you're using subconductors (multiple conductors per phase) you''ll use you the formulas you listed when solving for XL or L

GMRc is used for finding C and XC. It's the same formula except you use you're actual radius instead of r' (0.7788r)

When you just have one solid conductor (like in the NCEES exam) you can just use the radius of that cable for GMR and GMRc
This is my understanding, yes.

Back