Football 2021 (NFL / NCAA)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That first holding call towards the end there... oof.

I think that's the thing that is the most frustrating for people here. You're going to let them play and not throw any flags for the whole game and then you decide to call a phantom holding call on a game changing drive right at the end of the game?

Who knows what might have happened. They may still have scored on that 4th down play, but at least leave it up to the players and don't give it to them with bad officiating.

Who all else is planning on “watching” the game just for the halftime show?
me. The nbc website only gave 30 minutes free "trial" checked on the game clock/score a couple times then gave it 5 minutes after the end of the 2 quarter. Worked perfectly. Got to watch the entire half time show, a couple commercials and the touch down and interception in the first couple minutes of the second half.

Maybe I should have stated it in my original post, but there was definitely some officiating issues. And the benefits went both ways. I didn't have a dog in the fight, but a fan of either side could make a valid argument. From my viewpoint it looked like the officials let them play, but using the facemask to mantoss Ramsey out of the play appeared to be missed my the on field officials.

Higgins got away with an egregious OPI on the opening touchdown in the 2nd half. I don't think anyone has been impressed with the NFL's officiating the past few years, but I don't think poor officiating changed the outcome of last night's game.

I don't know. The Bengals certainly have no excuse for giving up about a bazillion sacks, but as a ref, you should probably have a pretty compelling case for giving a fresh set of downs on the goal line late in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl. And by compelling, I mean at least have something at least close enough to an actual penalty that the commentators can see it in slow-mo and go "oh, that's what he called."

Maybe I should have stated it in my original post, but there was definitely some officiating issues. And the benefits went both ways. I didn't have a dog in the fight, but a fan of either side could make a valid argument. From my viewpoint it looked like the officials let them play, but using the facemask to mantoss Ramsey out of the play appeared to be missed my the on field officials.
did you even notice in real time? or only when they slowed it down in replay?

that holding call late in the game should not have happened because the entire o-line minus the center jumped and should have been called for false start.

Back