Fleids Wheel

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodfat

rodfat
Reaction score
The Fleids Wheel is no longer allowed on the civil PE exam. Does anybody know of tables or charts that are out there for purchase??

The Fleids Wheel was used for sizing pipes, flows, etc.

Have you considered the King and Brater Handbook of Hydraulics??

It has LOT of tables ... not just for pipe flow. Just becareful and make sure to get the edition with ENGLISH UNITS !!

JR

What about Crane's Technical Paper No. 410, actual spiral book title is "Flow of Fluids Through Valves, Fittings, and Pipe" by Crane. It has charts, tables, and nomographs for fluid flow, pressure drop, pipe size, and more.

Why is the Fleids Wheel no longer allowed?

What about Crane's Technical Paper No. 410, actual spiral book title is "Flow of Fluids Through Valves, Fittings, and Pipe" by Crane. It has charts, tables, and nomographs for fluid flow, pressure drop, pipe size, and more.
Why is the Fleids Wheel no longer allowed?
I had forgotten I'd even brought Crane's to the exam. I first looked up Crane's because I'd heard they had some good nomographs. I also think Lindeberg uses a few of Crane's tables for flow of water through pipe. Crane's is OLD (I forget when it was first written, but even the 1991 version, 25th printing references from 1922!) but timeless. The explanation on theory is really good, too. I don't remember if I used it at all on the Civil WR depth exam, but I did spend an hour or so reading through it a few days before the exam (it made me feel a lot more comfortable). You can ignore all the compressible flow stuff, of course.

Bottom line: If you can find it at your local library, pick it up and at least look through it. It's crazy-expensive to buy (at least from the places I could find) but maybe you can find something on eBay (here's one).

Thanks for the reminder Rudy!

The Fleids Wheel is no longer allowed on the civil PE exam. Does anybody know of tables or charts that are out there for purchase??
The Fleids Wheel was used for sizing pipes, flows, etc.
I'm not sure how much use it would be anyway - there don't seem to be many "sizing" problems. Most solutions come down to one flow equation that can be used with the tables in the CERM appendix.

I have the latest version of Crane's Technical Paper 410. I'm sure it's the latest version since I ordered it directly from Crane's, brand new, to study for the Oct 2007 exam. I'm willing to part with it, including the demo CD, for $25. I highlighted the lines on the nomographs with different colors to help distinguish how the lines are read. This made it less confusing for me. I also taped notes with my alternate methods to work out some of the problems. If your interested, let me know.

To be honest, I used Crane's nomographs for one problem on the ChE exam. I re-worked the problem with an equation. I bubbled in the answer I got from the equation since the choices given varied by about 0.4 (i.e. 1.0, 1.4, 1.8, 2.2). I don't remember the actual values or units. But, at least Crane's let me know that my answer from the equation was good.

I have the latest version of Crane's Technical Paper 410. I'm sure it's the latest version since I ordered it directly from Crane's, brand new, to study for the Oct 2007 exam. I'm willing to part with it, including the demo CD, for $25. I highlighted the lines on the nomographs with different colors to help distinguish how the lines are read. This made it less confusing for me. I also taped notes with my alternate methods to work out some of the problems. If your interested, let me know.
To be honest, I used Crane's nomographs for one problem on the ChE exam. I re-worked the problem with an equation. I bubbled in the answer I got from the equation since the choices given varied by about 0.4 (i.e. 1.0, 1.4, 1.8, 2.2). I don't remember the actual values or units. But, at least Crane's let me know that my answer from the equation was good.
What version, edition, or printing is it?

The copyright date is 1988. The reprint date is March 2006. It specifically says "Reprinted 03/06"; so I guess that means March 2006.

Have you considered the King and Brater Handbook of Hydraulics??
It has LOT of tables ... not just for pipe flow. Just becareful and make sure to get the edition with ENGLISH UNITS !!

JR

Where can I find the version with English units? I am having a hard time finding it.

Back