Fe Reference Handbook

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Facepinata39

Reaction score
I am studying for the FE and am wondering how the reference handbook is provided on the computer during the exam. Is it in acrobat? Are the sections bookmarked? How should I navigate through it to be most similar to how it will be during the exam? Thanks!

I am studying for the FE and am wondering how the reference handbook is provided on the computer during the exam. Is it in acrobat? Are the sections bookmarked? How should I navigate through it to be most similar to how it will be during the exam? Thanks!
I took it back in 2017 so I don't remember the specifics. But I believe it used Acrobat or a similar program. There were bookmarks of the sections but you could also use the search function in the PDF to look for specific keywords that might speed up finding formulas for a particular question.

The reference manual has bookmarks to the chapter and is searchable (ctrl+f). It’s integrated into the testing system so there’s not a “referencemanual.pdf” file sitting on the desktop. 

my advice to you is know which chapters your formulas are in. 

It appears on your left half of the screen. You can search by keywords and the phrases where the word is found are tabulated in a pin-able window to the far left. You can stretch the window in the expense of making the pdf smaller. I didn't think it was any where close to the comfort of regular pdf search.  You cannot use the control key+ scroll to zoom in and out. You have to use the fit screen or eye glass + or -  to zoom. They will give some time to get used to the search in the beginning. You will be spending extra time searching so plan ahead.

Back