Failed Surveying again - PLEASE HELP

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time is absolutely an issue on this exam. It seems that if they allowed half an hour more, significantly higher number of engineers would pass. Please work on timing yourself. I started timing all problems and kept note of the one taking longer than two minutes. Then kept working on them until I got the time down. You almost have to memorize some solutions so you take the right path. In some problems I was able to reduce the time to less than a minute by following the correct path. This certainly helped during the exam. In the last exam, I actually managed to attempt around 85% despite getting almost 100% in mock exams that I could finish in half the time.
Even if you use the same material, keep working on the timing of the problems. All the best.

Time is absolutely an issue on this exam. It seems that if they allowed half an hour more, significantly higher number of engineers would pass. Please work on timing yourself. I started timing all problems and kept note of the one taking longer than two minutes. Then kept working on them until I got the time down. You almost have to memorize some solutions so you take the right path. In some problems I was able to reduce the time to less than a minute by following the correct path. This certainly helped during the exam. In the last exam, I actually managed to attempt around 85% despite getting almost 100% in mock exams that I could finish in half the time.
Even if you use the same material, keep working on the timing of the problems. All the best.
This is a really good point. When I started studying for my seismic exam (I know, different test...) I was very slow on my first pass through the material. I did 3 practice exams and I couldn't finish the test. When I took the real seismic exam on my first attempt, same thing, I couldn't finish all the problems. I failed that time and on my second time studying, I ended up redoing all 1000+ problems I had probably 4-5 times each. I just grinded through all problems until I had seen them so many times, I knew what to do when I saw certain key words or givens or I knew the common mistakes (on seismic this is always make sure to check min/max!).

By the time I went through my 4th/5th attempt of my 8 practice exams, I was finishing each test early and getting scores around 90%. I sat for my second attempt of the real exam, and I made it through the test in 2 hours and used the last 30 minutes to review problems.

I know it sounds like a lot of work, but that was the strategy that worked for me: go through as many problems as you can find (from coworkers or friends) and do them as many times as you can before the test.

Good luck!

Back